Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Apr 24, 2013, 12:15 AM   #1
eliehass
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Thinking about buying a retina MBP

I'm in the market for a laptop, as I currently only have a desktop, and I really like everything about the rMBP. My only issue is that the current model has already been on the market for a while (I'm not counting the slight processor bump as a hardware refresh).

I was thinking of waiting until June to see if a newer model would be released but now it seems like Tim Cook has said in the earnings call to look to Fall for new releases.

I really don't want to wait until the Fall. I'm just curious if I should buy now, or does anyone think that Tim Cook was referring to new product releases, and that an existing product hardware refresh could still happen in June...
eliehass is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2013, 04:56 AM   #2
Latt
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
I'm pretty sure he means completely new products. I'm still convinced we'll see a late Q2/early Q3 upgrade to the rMBP productline.
Latt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2013, 08:20 AM   #3
philosopherdog
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
It's really doubtful there will be any significant change to the current model. A slight tweak in configuration maybe $100 cheaper. Expect a slight spec bump and maybe a bit of a price drop. If you need the machine you can hardly go wrong with the current model.
philosopherdog is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2013, 11:19 AM   #4
eliehass
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by philosopherdog View Post
It's really doubtful there will be any significant change to the current model. A slight tweak in configuration maybe $100 cheaper. Expect a slight spec bump and maybe a bit of a price drop. If you need the machine you can hardly go wrong with the current model.
I'm hoping for a Haswell rMBP... How likely is a June release for that?
eliehass is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2013, 01:37 PM   #5
MacSignal
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2010
I don't think you are likely to gain a lot by holding out until June. It seems more likely to me that there could be a Q2 announcement of an update available Q3.

Unless you expect to push the performance limits of the current rMBP, you might be pretty happy with what you can buy now.
__________________
MacSignal
MacSignal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2013, 05:26 PM   #6
dan1eln1el5en
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
I'm in the same boat.

next wages will give me that little extra to get a full spec rMBP, but I do think I'll wait until end may.

So that if they decide to upgrade on July 10th then I can go with the 2 weeks return window.

Also I could wait a month, considering we are approaching nice weather, so no need to sit inside after work...
dan1eln1el5en is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2013, 05:33 PM   #7
maxosx
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Southern California
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliehass View Post
I'm in the market for a laptop, as I currently only have a desktop, and I really like everything about the rMBP. My only issue is that the current model has already been on the market for a while (I'm not counting the slight processor bump as a hardware refresh).

I was thinking of waiting until June to see if a newer model would be released but now it seems like Tim Cook has said in the earnings call to look to Fall for new releases.

I really don't want to wait until the Fall. I'm just curious if I should buy now, or does anyone think that Tim Cook was referring to new product releases, and that an existing product hardware refresh could still happen in June...
It's very hard to _guess_.

I'd say based on the way "component shortages" tend to crop up after a suggested date on more Apple products than ever before, 2013 is merely a talking point to prevent a revolt.

My bet is on 2014. That gives Apple plenty of time to play catch up.

I like Cook, it's too bad when things don't go like the faithful want they turn on him.
maxosx is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Thinking of buying an SSD for my MBP tinix Buying Tips and Advice 2 Nov 14, 2013 12:37 PM
13" Base MBP Thinking of MBP 13" Retina have a ? Wicked1 MacBook Pro 11 Oct 17, 2013 01:09 PM
Thinking of buying a retina 15 MBP - questions about the screen cmm MacBook Pro 33 Aug 12, 2012 11:56 AM
Thinking about getting the high-end non-retina 15'' MBP..... bo-waleed MacBook Pro 25 Jul 20, 2012 04:25 PM
Thinking new non-retina MBP ChumpyD MacBook Pro 2 Jun 13, 2012 03:59 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:48 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC