Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Farnyd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 24, 2013
Hi,

Some time ago now i got an iphone 3gs off my dad and asked him to contact the network carrier to get it unlocked.

I then got the phone from him and started using it pretty much straight away. after taking alot of photos on a trip I plugged my iphone into itunes it automatically backed up and then said it needed to update. After the update i couldnt activate the phone and later found that my dad had not contacted the network carrier but had gone to one of these stalls / shops. After contacting EE ( the network carrier and paying them to unlock it and recieving the email saying this had been done) I was still unable to activate the phone.

I took it to the genius bar at apple who said your phone has been jailbroken and unfortunately it will not work again. We can give you a new one for £120. 3gs that is.

I have read a few forums but what i am trying to find out is can i downgrade my phone to get it to how it was before - is there anyway I will be able to use it again? if not do i have to get a new apple device to restore the photos and contacts that are on the back up ?

any adviser and help would be greatly appreciated

thanks

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
You'll need to download the most recent "3GS" .ispw and restore manually.

You'll have to have a google though, dude. :)

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
thanks man what do you mean go through google?

You need to find yourself an .ispw file so you can manually restore through itunes. I don't think we're allowed to post such links so you'll need to search "6.1.3 ispw download" or summin. :)

----------

I've sent you a PM :)

marcelo4527

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2012
The guy at genius that says your iPhone won't work because you jailbroke is completely stupid.

From what you said you paid one of those services to unlock your phone, usually after that you need to restore the phone on iTunes and try to activate with the sim card you use.
Send me your IMEI so I can check the carrier and lock status

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.