Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games

Old Apr 24, 2013, 05:57 PM   #1
owensfg2
macrumors newbie

Diablo 3 and Starcraft 2

What do I need to upgrade to make my games lag free and play on decent visual settings?

Macbook Pro 15inch mid 2010 model
2.4 GHz i5
4GB Memory
NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M 256 MB
owensfg2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2013, 06:46 PM   #2
ScottishCaptain
macrumors 6502a

Nothing, you need a faster computer.

-SC
Old Apr 24, 2013, 06:54 PM   #3
thejadedmonkey
macrumors 604

Send a message via AIM to thejadedmonkey
A better video card. Which as ScottishCaptain pointed out, means you need a new computer.
experience comes from bad judgment."
- Mulla Nasrudin
thejadedmonkey is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2013, 07:00 PM   #4
owensfg2
macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply!

Well before my battery died(haven't replaced it yet), it was running great with little to no lag. I figured once I replaced the battery, I would upgrade my RAM and buy an external harddrive and unload all my pictures, videos, and music on to that.

You guys are saying that wouldn't work?

Oh and I forgot to mention, I'm low on cash. Would what I stated, help the cause at all? Cheapest route?!

Last edited by owensfg2; Apr 24, 2013 at 07:05 PM.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 07:20 PM   #5
Cougarcat
macrumors 603

What OS are you running? Apple doesn't update graphics drivers on older OSes, so if you don't have 10.8.3, I would get that. Upgrading the RAM will not cause the game to run faster, unless you are playing it with lots of apps in the background. Buying an external hard drive won't do anything.
Cougarcat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2013, 08:00 PM   #6
mrmarts
macrumors 6502a

I play both of those games on my 2010 iMac with a 2.7 i7, 8gb of ram and 512mb ATI graphics card and it runs fine. You might need to turn down some of the in game settings on a 256mb graphics.

However to put it mildly I think its time for a update if you have the cash or want to make the change, otherwise the PS4 will be getting Diablo 3 so there's another option you might like to try.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 06:41 AM   #7
ljonesj
macrumors 6502a

its also coming for the ps3
Old Apr 25, 2013, 07:22 AM   #8
Andrew*Debbie
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by owensfg2 View Post

Well before my battery died(haven't replaced it yet), it was running great
Save your cash. Something changed. Possibly you lost some settings when the battery died.

Check the system Preferences. Engergy Saver and Display.

There may be some bit of hardware that needs a reset too. I'm not up to speed on your exact computer but many of the mac laptops have independent power controllers that may need a hard reset after the battery dies.

If those are fine, check the settings inside D3.
Andrew*Debbie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2013, 08:44 AM   #9
rotopenguin
macrumors newbie

No setting changed when the battery died, the thing that changed is that you no longer have a battery. All laptops now come with a power supply that is a little too small to run CPU and GPU at full speed, so they need to borrow power from the battery while gaming. My system can burn off about 10% an hour during intense gaming.

I imagine that moment-to-moment power consumption can vary a bit depending on whether the CPU and GPU hit a strait-away on code optimization. To guarantee that a batteryless system never goes into a deficit, it must assume the worst case, and underclock to where it still has a little surplus no matter what.

On your 2010 it's probably worth replacing the battery still. I'm a bit disappointed (and worried for my 2012) that yours is trash already, how much were you working on/off of wall power?
rotopenguin is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2013, 09:32 AM   #10
owensfg2
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew*Debbie View Post
Save your cash. Something changed. Possibly you lost some settings when the battery died.

Check the system Preferences. Engergy Saver and Display.

There may be some bit of hardware that needs a reset too. I'm not up to speed on your exact computer but many of the mac laptops have independent power controllers that may need a hard reset after the battery dies.

If those are fine, check the settings inside D3.
Exactly what I was thinking because before the battery went out, it ran seamlessly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotopenguin View Post
No setting changed when the battery died, the thing that changed is that you no longer have a battery. All laptops now come with a power supply that is a little too small to run CPU and GPU at full speed, so they need to borrow power from the battery while gaming. My system can burn off about 10% an hour during intense gaming.

I imagine that moment-to-moment power consumption can vary a bit depending on whether the CPU and GPU hit a strait-away on code optimization. To guarantee that a batteryless system never goes into a deficit, it must assume the worst case, and underclock to where it still has a little surplus no matter what.

On your 2010 it's probably worth replacing the battery still. I'm a bit disappointed (and worried for my 2012) that yours is trash already, how much were you working on/off of wall power?
Good information. The battery is literally shot. It has to be plugged into the wall for the computer to work. "No batteries available"

----------

BTW do you guys have any suggestions on where to get a good battery? for cheap?
Old Apr 25, 2013, 09:49 AM   #11
Andrew*Debbie
macrumors member

Quote:

The battery is literally shot. It has to be plugged into the wall for the computer to work. "No batteries available"[COLOR="#808080"]
Somehow I missed that you haven't replaced the battery. my bad.

Since you are low on funds and the computer is a 2010, your best option is to replace the battery. But sooner or later you are going to want a new laptop.
Andrew*Debbie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2013, 09:55 AM   #12
Cougarcat
macrumors 603

Quote:
Exactly what I was thinking because before the battery went out, it ran seamlessly.

Good information. The battery is literally shot. It has to be plugged into the wall for the computer to work. "No batteries available"

----------

BTW do you guys have any suggestions on where to get a good battery? for cheap?
That really shouldn't happen on a three year old machine. Do you have an Apple Store nearby? Although you are out of warranty you might get lucky. There's also a chance it's the connection to the battery and not the battery itself that's the issue.

I wouldn't recommend buying a cheap aftermarket battery if you don't want to run the risk of completely hosing your laptop. Also, installing them isn't trivial. Best let Apple take care of it.
Cougarcat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2013, 03:22 PM   #13
mindust
macrumors newbie

Your laptop is being throttled down due to no battery

The CPU is throttled to run half speed if you don't have a battery when you plugged into the wall. Get a new battery replacement.
mindust is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2013, 07:48 PM   #14
rotopenguin
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougarcat View Post
I wouldn't recommend buying a cheap aftermarket battery if you don't want to run the risk of completely hosing your laptop. Also, installing them isn't trivial. Best let Apple take care of it.
It's better than that, there's a modest chance of a fake battery hosing your home down, with fire.

In About This Mac.., click on System Report, and go to the Power heading. OP, please post the Battery section, there's probably more than one fact there worth rolling up and smacking a Genius's nose with.
rotopenguin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2013, 02:36 AM   #15
dollystereo
macrumors 6502a

Installing the battery is trivial, just go to ifixit.com and look for the guide. It shouldnt take you more than 10 mins.
Old May 16, 2013, 07:15 AM   #16
lmedinas
macrumors newbie

fyi i played both D3 and S2 on my macbook pro 13" with intel hd 4000 fine on medium/low settings. The only complain is the heating but...

I think you won't have a big problem to play that games in terms of graphics.
lmedinas is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2013, 09:59 AM   #17
Nightarchaon
macrumors 65816

Both those games play fine on the 8600m 512MB in my early 2008 MBP, i would have thought they would run ok on newer cards
Old May 16, 2013, 10:52 AM   #18
SingularityG
macrumors 6502

Diablo 3 and Starcraft 2 are one of the best running games on my 17" mid-2010 Macbook Pro. Even on high settings, both games run @ steady 30+ fps, at all times.

Blizzard knows...
Old May 16, 2013, 05:07 PM   #19
jamesbarns
macrumors member

As people have already said, I would just get a new computer. If I were you, since you said you are low on cash, just go ahead and build your own PC. For $1000 if you get the right components, you will be able to run ANYTHING on Highest settings lag free! Just my recommendation.
jamesbarns is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2013, 11:01 PM   #20
eXan
macrumors 601

Send a message via ICQ to eXan Send a message via AIM to eXan Send a message via Skype™ to eXan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightarchaon View Post
Both those games play fine on the 8600m 512MB in my early 2008 MBP, i would have thought they would run ok on newer cards
His problem is CPU working at 1/2 speed without battery, but Geforce8600 is faster than 330m anyway
Old May 17, 2013, 02:48 AM   #21
cluthz
macrumors 68040

Send a message via MSN to cluthz
Quote:
Originally Posted by eXan View Post
His problem is CPU working at 1/2 speed without battery, but Geforce8600 is faster than 330m anyway
No, the 8600m is slightly faster than the 320m. the GT330M is ~ 30% faster than the 8600m.
The problem is the CPU which you point out is throttled.
Starcraft 2 is one of the games that actually needs lots of CPU power.

I had a both 2010MBP and a 2008 MBP for a short period of time, and played SC2, and the 2010 was almost 50% faster due to both better GPU and CPU.

Here is a benchmark between 9600M, 320M and GT330M:
http://barefeats.com/mbpp25.html
cluthz is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games