Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

laryenhilllvr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 29, 2012
NYC
I'm not sure if i should post this under the iphone or imac forum, so mods please move as necessary.

I have an imac 2012 and an iphone 5, both are connected to my cell number and apple id, however when i get an incoming facetime call it always shows up on my imac and never on my iphone. I even tried to place a facetime call on my iphone, but the other caller does not receive it. does anyone know how to resolve this?

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
I'm not sure if i should post this under the iphone or imac forum, so mods please move as necessary.

I have an imac 2012 and an iphone 5, both are connected to my cell number and apple id, however when i get an incoming facetime call it always shows up on my imac and never on my iphone. I even tried to place a facetime call on my iphone, but the other caller does not receive it. does anyone know how to resolve this?
Your iMac should be linked to your apple id only. And your iPhone should be linked to your phone number and apple id.

fronesis

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2012
I have to disagree with osofast240sx.

I have an iPad, a Macbook Air, an iPhone 5, and an iMac, and all of them are registered to facetime under BOTH the iPhone 5's phone number AND my appleID. All of them ring at the same time when I get a call.

The clue to your problem is that your iPhone 5 cannot even make a call out, so something is clearly wrong there. Try the simple things first:

1. Restart the phone
2. Turn Facetime off and then back on, and make sure it is activated
3. Then try to make a call out
4. Then try to receive a call

Facetime and Messages both work by being logged into apple servers, and they can sometimes be finicky, so it may be as simple as the above troubleshooting.

Also, I assume you are on Wifi when you try this, but if your phone is on a cellular connection (or the wifi connection has gone to sleep) and your carrier and plan do not give you access to facetime over cellular, then that, too, could be the problem.

good luck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.