Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jmann

macrumors 604
Original poster
I haven't seen much word from people actually owning this. Mine just came yesterday, so I'll share my thoughts.

For those who don't know, this is a kit sold by Poddities (I bought it from amazon). It is a metal loop that is screwed onto the bottom of the phone to allow you to attach laynard hand straps or charms. The kit comes with a screwdriver to remove the original screws, a pair of custom screws and the metal attachment. It comes in silver or slate (slate is more expensive). I found it for about $10 online.

The installation was super easy and took less than five minutes.

My iPhone has had "loop" envy ever since the latest iPod touch was debuted with this feature. I like not using a case with my iPhone but was always worried about it slipping out of my hands. Since I've attached this tiny loop to my phone, I feel comfortable not using a case now because the lanyard keeps it securely around my wrist.

My first impressions are that the metal piece is thinner than I originally imagined and edges of the metal are a bit rough, but not too bad. Hopefully I can figure out a way to smooth it out a little bit. I'm overall very pleased with it.

Attachments

• Photo Apr 23, 7 24 09 PM.jpg
    Photo Apr 23, 7 24 09 PM.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 2,201
  • Photo Apr 23, 7 14 29 PM.jpg
    Photo Apr 23, 7 14 29 PM.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 687
  • bottom of phone.jpg
    bottom of phone.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 1,206

bruleke

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2009
I don't have to say that this is incredibly ugly :p

But its your money and phone.

Anyway, a question: aren't those screws too thin to handle the iPhone's weight after a couple of weeks being hanged?

jmann

macrumors 604
Original poster
I don't have to say that this is incredibly ugly :p

But its your money and phone.

Anyway, a question: aren't those screws too thin to handle the iPhone's weight after a couple of weeks being hanged?

It'd look nicer if I got the black version, but since it's low-profile, it's not really visible when using the device. I'm happy with it. :)

I'm not going to be wearing the phone, or dangling it along behind me, I'll be holding it, so the screws will only sparingly handle the phone's weight. The iPhone 5 is light anyway, I'm not concerned about that.

Gemma214

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2014
Check out SHEPbungee.com... Attach iphone 4 or 5 to a lanyard and hold vertically or horizontally. It's an option that I prefer to a lanyard case or screwing items to my phone. Gemma

drewsof07

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Ohio
How does the lightning connector fair? Is it looser than normal since not being fully inserted? (yes, that's what she said :rolleyes:)

sophiamendezzz1

macrumors regular
May 20, 2014
I haven't seen much word from people actually owning this. Mine just came yesterday, so I'll share my thoughts.

For those who don't know, this is a kit sold by Poddities (I bought it from amazon). It is a metal loop that is screwed onto the bottom of the phone to allow you to attach laynard hand straps or charms. The kit comes with a screwdriver to remove the original screws, a pair of custom screws and the metal attachment. It comes in silver or slate (slate is more expensive). I found it for about $10 online.

The installation was super easy and took less than five minutes.

My iPhone has had "loop" envy ever since the latest iPod touch was debuted with this feature. I like not using a case with my iPhone but was always worried about it slipping out of my hands. Since I've attached this tiny loop to my phone, I feel comfortable not using a case now because the lanyard keeps it securely around my wrist.

My first impressions are that the metal piece is thinner than I originally imagined and edges of the metal are a bit rough, but not too bad. Hopefully I can figure out a way to smooth it out a little bit. I'm overall very pleased with it.

How did it affect plugging in the charger?? Curious to know if there were anything that hindered accessibility.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.