Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

onirocdarb

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 5, 2013
I have a mid 2010 macbook pro that I am looking to put an ssd in, mainly for speed but also for extra room. I have been looking into the Samsung Pro 512GB. However, I have read that my mac has an older version of SATA and won't be able to take advantage of an ssd.
Is it true that I won't benefit from having an ssd with my older data?
If that is true would I be better off buying a new machine? I could sell this machine for 500 + I would save 500 on the ssd and I could use a student discount.

Also I would like to install the drive through Optibay

Blue Sun

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2009
Australia
I'd put in a Samsung 256GB 840 Pro for around $200 or so. Sure you won't be able to take advantage of SATA3, but it will still be a major upgrade and you'll be amazed the difference an SSD makes.

I've had an OWC 120GB SSD in my 15" 2010 MBP for the last 2 years now, best decision I ever made.

If it was me, I'd ditch the optibay idea and run it in the regular HDD bay.

braddicted2mac

macrumors member
Dec 5, 2012
Canada
I have a mid 2010 macbook pro that I am looking to put an ssd in, mainly for speed but also for extra room. I have been looking into the Samsung Pro 512GB. However, I have read that my mac has an older version of SATA and won't be able to take advantage of an ssd.
Is it true that I won't benefit from having an ssd with my older data?
If that is true would I be better off buying a new machine? I could sell this machine for 500 + I would save 500 on the ssd and I could use a student discount.

Also I would like to install the drive through Optibay

I have a samsung 840 256 SSD in my mbp 2010 mid. Works great update the ram too !! 1066 mhz 8 gig and yours will be fast !

kevink2

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2008
I have a crucial m4 512GB SSD in my 2010 MBP.

Works fine.

Isn't as fast as it could be with 6gb/s SATA, but still much improved, especially booting (or anything that has a lot of random reads) vs the hard drive.

onirocdarb

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 5, 2013
I'd put in a Samsung 256GB 840 Pro for around $200 or so. Sure you won't be able to take advantage of SATA3, but it will still be a major upgrade and you'll be amazed the difference an SSD makes.

I've had an OWC 120GB SSD in my 15" 2010 MBP for the last 2 years now, best decision I ever made.

If it was me, I'd ditch the optibay idea and run it in the regular HDD bay.

Why no optibay?

Is their a difference between the 830 and 840?

I will probably have this laptop for another 2 years, when I upgrade would I be able to use the ssd as a thunderbolt drive?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.