Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Apr 24, 2013, 09:59 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Submits Revised Campus 2 Plans, Delays Tantau Development to Cut Costs

Earlier this month, a report revealed that Apple's upcoming "spaceship"*campus in Cupertino is both behind schedule and $2 billion over budget. Apple was said to be looking to cut costs on the project, which is apparent in the revised campus plans that it submitted to the city today.

Apple originally planned on constructing a 600,000 square foot area of buildings (known as the Tantau Development) in two phases. Phase 1 was to take place alongside the construction of the main Apple campus, while Phase 2 would be delayed until later.

In order to trim 300,000 square feet of construction costs from its budget, Apple has pushed the entire Tantau Development to Phase 2, which means it will be completed after the main campus is built.
Quote:
Phase 2 includes 600,000 square feet of office, research and development buildings for up to 2,200 employees along North Tantau Avenue, providing flexibility to address future business needs. Construction of Phase 2 will follow completion of Phase 1. The Tantau sites will have small satellite plants.
Apple's revised campus plan includes the addition of an expanded section detailing bicycle access improvements, which comes with an included visualization of what bike pathways and sidewalks might look like on the campus.

Also notable in the plan is a minor increase to parking availability and updates to public improvements, as well as a new section on Public Art that details four locations where the company plans to install art near the campus.

Apple Campus 2's budget rests near $5 billion, which is said to be because Steve Jobs insisted on design quality and expensive construction methods. The Campus, a circular 2,800,000 square foot 4-story building, is designed to hold 12,000 employees and has a prospective completion date of 2016.

Article Link: Apple Submits Revised Campus 2 Plans, Delays Tantau Development to Cut Costs
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2013, 10:01 PM   #2
komodrone
Banned

burning question is, "will we have free wifi"?
(referencing the proposal video)
komodrone is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2013, 10:06 PM   #3
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
This sounds acceptable.
ArtOfWarfare is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2013, 10:09 PM   #4
JayCee842
macrumors 6502a

After reading "The Innovators Dilemma" I now understand the idea behind this project. Very wise choice by Steve.
JayCee842 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2013, 10:10 PM   #5
BornAgainMac
macrumors 601

I wonder if Apple will wait until the Campus is built and they move in before they work on the Mac Pro?
BornAgainMac is offline   18 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2013, 10:12 PM   #6
bedifferent

My friends who work at Pixar bike from San Fran (take their bikes on the train), a lot of people do. Apple isn't close enough to the city, however I'd like to see Apple give incentives to workers who bike. It'd cut down on traffic, parking lots and long term maintenance costs. The weather is temperate for most of the year.
bedifferent is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2013, 10:17 PM   #7
HiRez
macrumors 601

That sounds more like delaying costs than cutting costs.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 10:22 PM   #8
bassfingers
macrumors 6502

$1,700 /sqft
bassfingers is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2013, 10:28 PM   #9
joneill55
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedifferent View Post
My friends who work at Pixar bike from San Fran (take their bikes on the train), a lot of people do. Apple isn't close enough to the city, however I'd like to see Apple give incentives to workers who bike. It'd cut down on traffic, parking lots and long term maintenance costs. The weather is temperate for most of the year.

How about the "incentive" of good health and a greener planet. Isn't that enough of an incentive for bikers/walkers?? Works for me!

Why do some people think the employer needs to pony up in the equation? Walking or biking is the ultimate think global and act local at its finest! I don't need any incentive to act responsible and help the planet for future generations.
joneill55 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2013, 11:02 PM   #10
dennno
macrumors regular

Would love to work in a place like this. Much better than overly tall 100 floor skyscrapers on cramped busy streets.
dennno is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2013, 11:06 PM   #11
rGiskard
macrumors 65816

So "Tantau" is the code name for the new Mac Pro, right?
Old Apr 24, 2013, 11:08 PM   #12
Gemütlichkeit
macrumors 65816

Bummed to hear about the delays.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 11:21 PM   #13
chriscrk
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by joneill55 View Post
How about the "incentive" of good health and a greener planet. Isn't that enough of an incentive for bikers/walkers?? Works for me!

Why do some people think the employer needs to pony up in the equation? Walking or biking is the ultimate think global and act local at its finest! I don't need any incentive to act responsible and help the planet for future generations.
But it's important to provide places to "park" the bikes. If you don't have a safe place to keep your bike, you most likely won't want to cycle to wherever it is you're going. It's not just a moral or fitness thing.

Plenty of city studies and interventions have shown that just the act of providing safe spaces to keep bikes increases the amount of cycling (we went over that in urbanism today lol).
chriscrk is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2013, 11:22 PM   #14
olifds
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rGiskard View Post
So "Tantau" is the code name for the new Mac Pro, right?
In french the prononciation of Tantau comes from the word ''tantôt'' wich means later! So yes, ''Tantau'' is obviously the new code name for the Mac Pro.
olifds is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2013, 11:23 PM   #15
charlituna
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedifferent View Post
I recall an article a year or so ago that mentioned that they already do and have for a while. Like $50 a month to any worker, even retail ones, for bike maintenance or transit pass fees.
charlituna is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2013, 11:31 PM   #16
tigres
macrumors 68040

Star Wars planet? Tantau
Old Apr 24, 2013, 11:32 PM   #17
bedifferent

Quote:

Excellent points, and I agree completely. Some people do though, until it becomes more common (I hope).

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post
I recall an article a year or so ago that mentioned that they already do and have for a while. Like $50 a month to any worker, even retail ones, for bike maintenance or transit pass fees.
Never knew, great info, thanks!
bedifferent is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2013, 11:38 PM   #18
maxxumless
macrumors newbie

Could Cut $2 Billion Easy

If they built in Nevada or Texas they would save $2 billion easy. I'm sure they got tax breaks, but nothing near what other states would give. There's states that would actually 'pay' Apple to build that monstrosity.
maxxumless is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2013, 11:40 PM   #19
tdtran1025
macrumors 6502

Pay employees a little more, give free train/bus tickets to those who ride bikes. The. There won't be a brain drain like that of the early 90's.
tdtran1025 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2013, 11:52 PM   #20
Derpage
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxumless View Post
If they built in Nevada or Texas they would save $2 billion easy. I'm sure they got tax breaks, but nothing near what other states would give. There's states that would actually 'pay' Apple to build that monstrosity.
Yeah, but then you would have to live in X, where X is any city that isn't in the Bay Area. The Bay Area is still considered the epicenter of Tech and Tech Capital.
Derpage is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2013, 12:02 AM   #21
SchneiderMan
macrumors 604

They make that $5 billion in a few months.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 12:12 AM   #22
carlgo
macrumors 68000

So, they are going ahead to build this thing? So 1939 and not in a good way.
carlgo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2013, 12:20 AM   #23
iChrist
macrumors 65816

Quote:

Because it saves the company on parking and healthcare costs. hello?

Old Apr 25, 2013, 12:33 AM   #24
theheadguy
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to theheadguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by komodrone View Post
burning question is, "will we have free wifi"?
(referencing the proposal video)
get over this dude. they approved the project. move on.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 12:57 AM   #25
thundersteele
macrumors 68030

1740 parking spots for 2200 employees... way to go green Apple.
thundersteele is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion