Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ravinder08

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 11, 2010
Keep getting Do you want the application “iTunes.app” to accept incoming network connections? when I open iTunes. I've even re-installed OSX using recovery mode. I have to type in my username and password this never happened with SL and it's getting really annoying.

Thank you

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
Don't reinstall the OS because of a problem with one app. There are very few reasons why you need to reinstall the OS to fix a small problem of this sort.

Make sure you have the latest version of iTunes. There was a bug in early versions of 11, but it's been fixed now.

Donut4000

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2009
Keep getting Do you want the application “iTunes.app” to accept incoming network connections? when I open iTunes. I've even re-installed OSX using recovery mode. I have to type in my username and password this never happened with SL and it's getting really annoying.

Thank you

I used to get that error on previous versions - and it never seemed to go away regardless of how often I ok'd it. I saw several fixes that involved quite a bit of tinkering with the guts of the actual app - I don't really remember specifics as it seemed just too much hassle at the time. What did fix it for me was to simply uninstall iTunes, then reinstall a fresh and up to date version. Much simpler that the alternative as I remember, and it worked without problem.

ravinder08

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 11, 2010
I used to get that error on previous versions - and it never seemed to go away regardless of how often I ok'd it. I saw several fixes that involved quite a bit of tinkering with the guts of the actual app - I don't really remember specifics as it seemed just too much hassle at the time. What did fix it for me was to simply uninstall iTunes, then reinstall a fresh and up to date version. Much simpler that the alternative as I remember, and it worked without problem.

Did the OSX re-install as adviced by applecare, still didn't work! Unfortunately there's no way of uninstalling itunes on ML.

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
Did the OSX re-install as adviced by applecare, still didn't work! Unfortunately there's no way of uninstalling itunes on ML.
Don't uninstall it, just install the latest version. It was a known bug with the code signing, so that iTunes would constantly be seen as a different version of itself every time it launched.

Install the latest version.

ravinder08

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 11, 2010
Don't uninstall it, just install the latest version. It was a known bug with the code signing, so that iTunes would constantly be seen as a different version of itself every time it launched.

Install the latest version.

tried that already still getting the message

Shishu

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2011
I'm having same problem with plex server. Upgrading plex didn't help either.

ravinder08

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 11, 2010
done a fresh erase and install, worked out without any problem, then I migrated from my TM backup and same problem came back! So something to do with the settings being transferred from my TM backup which was SL. How can I resolve this?

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
done a fresh erase and install, worked out without any problem, then I migrated from my TM backup and same problem came back! So something to do with the settings being transferred from my TM backup which was SL. How can I resolve this?

Just try this, make a new User Account, then login into that account and see if it is the same there, if not you know 100% sure it is data imported into your normal user account and can be resolved by moving/deleting certain files.

ravinder08

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 11, 2010
Just try this, make a new User Account, then login into that account and see if it is the same there, if not you know 100% sure it is data imported into your normal user account and can be resolved by moving/deleting certain files.

Thanx for this advice, new account worked perfectly so it's defo the data that was imported. What can I do now?

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Thanx for this advice, new account worked perfectly so it's defo the data that was imported. What can I do now?

This means it is almost sure to be in the Users Library Folder, the first thing to think of is iTunes Preferences, it is located in:

/Users/****/Library/Preferences

**** is your Home Folders name

the files you should move are:

com.apple.iTunes.eq.plist
com.apple.iTunes.Gracenote.plist
com.apple.iTunes.plist
com.apple.iTunesHelper.plist

Actually, any file starting with com.apple.iTunes , move them to the desktop before launching iTunes, launch iTunes and see if it happens again, if it does drag the files back to the Preferences folder to get your former preferences back.

Keep in mind that the Users Library Folder is invisible in Lion and Mountain Lion, if you need assistance to make it visible just ask, actually I will tell now.

To make the Folder visible open terminal and type the following

chflags nohidden /Users/****Library

Replace **** with your Home Users name

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region

Follow these steps:

1. Quit all other running applications.

2. Hold down the 'option' key while clicking on the Finder meny item 'Go' and select 'Library'.

3. When the 'Library opens up go to the folder 'Preferences' and sech folder th file "com.apple.iTunes.plist" and move it to you Trash can (but don't delete it just yet).

4. Startup iTunes, set your iTunes Preferences again and see if that helps.

If this does not help you can quit iTunes and put that file back into the Preferences folder to go back to the beginning.

ravinder08

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 11, 2010
Follow these steps:

1. Quit all other running applications.

2. Hold down the 'option' key while clicking on the Finder meny item 'Go' and select 'Library'.

3. When the 'Library opens up go to the folder 'Preferences' and sech folder th file "com.apple.iTunes.plist" and move it to you Trash can (but don't delete it just yet).

4. Startup iTunes, set your iTunes Preferences again and see if that helps.

If this does not help you can quit iTunes and put that file back into the Preferences folder to go back to the beginning.

Just tried it and still got the message appearing:mad:

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Just tried it and still got the message appearing:mad:

OK, next thing to try, rename the iTunes Folder to iTunes Old, then start iTunes, everything is reset, what happens now?

You can rename the iTunes Old Folder back to iTunes after you did the test, delete the newly created folder though, be sure nothing got imported into iTunes otherwise you'll loose stuff.

Edit: There is many more things you can do to solve this problem, one of them is to clean your Caches Folder, we should have tried this one before renaming the iTunes Folder, if the above didn't work move all files and folders inside the ?Users/****/Library/Caches to the trash and try again.
**** is again your User Folder name.
We will find it although it will become a bit more complicated later on, I will tell you later after you tried the above.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.