Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Firesign3394

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 28, 2011
Minnesota
I have a battery drain problem that pops up on my iPhone 5 every 2 months, and the only way to get rid of it is to do a factory restore of the phone and set it up as a new phone.

I can restore contacts, notes and other things via iCloud, but not app data, the order the apps are in, or settings.

I have tried PKGbackup in the past, but it failed me. I don't want to even try it again.

Is there a way I can manually back up the files onto my mac, and once I restore, then put them back on the newly restored phone? Or would anyone know of a better way to accomplish what I am trying to do?

Thanks in advance!

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
Well you can't have your cake and eat it too...If I'm understanding you correctly, you can plug your phone into your computer, do a backup, restore to original settings, then restore from the backup but that would negate the middle step. If you're talking about moving one backup item at a time over there I'm not sure that's possible w/out jailbreak.

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
If you backup your phone then restore from the backup you should be fine. But if you are wanting to keep all your jailbreak data I'm not sure how you would do that.

Firesign3394

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 28, 2011
Minnesota
Jail breaking is not a problem for me, so if there is a method I can use with jail breaking that's fine. My iphone is already jail broken.

I can't simply restore from backup because the battery drain does not go away if I do it that way. I have to actually set it up as a new phone.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Backup to iCloud, restore via iTunes and then restore from backup via iCloud. I could be wrong, but I've been told by doing an iCloud backup over an iTunes backup keeps settings and app data, but does not mirror your entire device. Makes sense if it is correct because my iTunes backups are roughly 1GB but my iCloud backups are closer to 600MB.

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
If you do a factory restore on your phone, won't iTunes make you do it with the latest software..?

Yes it will update to latest software.

----------

Jail breaking is not a problem for me, so if there is a method I can use with jail breaking that's fine. My iphone is already jail broken.

I can't simply restore from backup because the battery drain does not go away if I do it that way. I have to actually set it up as a new phone.

What you are trying to do will not work. If you are wanting to restore and start over clean but keep app data it's not possible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.