Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Apr 25, 2013, 09:07 AM   #1
chagla
macrumors 6502a

Factory collapses, 200+ dead

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-22289362

Quote:
...Bangladeshi rescuers desperately search for survivors after a building housing garment factories collapsed in Dhaka, killing more than 200 people....

Not sure if this made it on any US newspaper. i was baffled when i saw less than one quarter of a page is dedicated for "world news" in 60+ pages daily newspapers. usually 30 pages of sports news, 20 pages entertainment,...

anyways.

it's quite convenient for western big companies to denounce Bangladesh Garment industry evertime there is a
tragedy such as this. they will shed some crocodile tears, cry about work ethics, standards, safety and blah blah blah but one thing they
won't do is pay few cents more to Bangladesh. instead they will take their business to another poor country for
cheap labor. i also blame Bangladeshi garment factory owners, they are greedy as well and they put profit above
everything. the victim is always the poor and this time they paid with their lives.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 09:25 AM   #2
Huntn
macrumors 604

Typical Western alarm: "You mean my jeans might cost $5 more??"
Huntn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2013, 09:38 AM   #3
Peterkro
macrumors 68020

It's been more widely reported in Europe not least because of some U.K. clothes retailers had contracts with some of the companies:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013...pse-shops-west
Peterkro is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2013, 09:51 AM   #4
jeremy h
macrumors 6502

Yes, as Peterkro says it's big headline news here... I think it's making us all feel pretty awkward and uncomfortable in our cheap clothes.
jeremy h is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2013, 10:23 AM   #5
Happybunny
macrumors 68000

Dodental Bangladesh zeker 145

Het dodental in Bangladesh, waar een gebouw van acht verdiepingen is ingestort, is opgelopen tot zeker 145. Er zijn zeker duizend gewonden.

De hele nacht is door reddingswerkers gezocht naar overlevenden. Ze denken dat er nog veel mensen vast zitten onder het puin en dat er in de loop van de dag een duidelijker beeld van de situatie is.

De lichamen van ruim 100 doden zijn overgedragen aan hun families.

2000 mensen
In het gebouw in een voorstad van de hoofdstad Dhaka zaten onder meer een kledingfabriek, een bank en enkele winkels. Volgens de brandweer waren er zo'n 2000 mensen in het pand toen het instortte.

De eigenaar van het gebouw wordt voor nalatigheid aangeklaagd.

Volgens een website werden in de kledingfabriek kleren gemaakt voor onder meer Libra in Nederland en C&A in Duitsland.

http://nos.nl/artikel/499422-dodenta...zeker-145.html

Yes it made the news here because as pointed out by other posters the factory made clothes for the European market.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 05:38 PM   #6
Tomorrow
macrumors 603

Very sad.
Old Apr 27, 2013, 04:51 PM   #7
Eraserhead
macrumors G4

To me it looks like progress is being made with arrests and stuff. Good for Bangladesh .

Obviously the incident itself is very sad .
Old Apr 29, 2013, 12:30 PM   #8
jnpy!$4g3cwk
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy h View Post
Yes, as Peterkro says it's big headline news here... I think it's making us all feel pretty awkward and uncomfortable in our cheap clothes.
I hope that some real movement will be made pushing the clothing manufacturers to enforce safety. It won't do to boycott Bangladesh and buy Pakistani, or, vice versa. These companies buy from anywhere they can save a percent on cost. Unfortunately, only bad publicity seems to matter.
jnpy!$4g3cwk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2013, 12:41 AM   #9
stevensr123
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happybunny View Post
Dodental Bangladesh zeker 145

Het dodental in Bangladesh, waar een gebouw van acht verdiepingen is ingestort, is opgelopen tot zeker 145. Er zijn zeker duizend gewonden.

De hele nacht is door reddingswerkers gezocht naar overlevenden. Ze denken dat er nog veel mensen vast zitten onder het puin en dat er in de loop van de dag een duidelijker beeld van de situatie is.

De lichamen van ruim 100 doden zijn overgedragen aan hun families.

2000 mensen
In het gebouw in een voorstad van de hoofdstad Dhaka zaten onder meer een kledingfabriek, een bank en enkele winkels. Volgens de brandweer waren er zo'n 2000 mensen in het pand toen het instortte.

De eigenaar van het gebouw wordt voor nalatigheid aangeklaagd.

Volgens een website werden in de kledingfabriek kleren gemaakt voor onder meer Libra in Nederland en C&A in Duitsland.

http://nos.nl/artikel/499422-dodenta...zeker-145.html

Yes it made the news here because as pointed out by other posters the factory made clothes for the European market.
I read that Walmart is connect to the factory? They said they are looking into it at least because the company they go for uses some of the factories connected to the owners of this one.

Anyway it sure does tell you something about the western world doesn't it ie the amount of coverage.

Boston bombing: 2 people die, massive amount of coverage, sorrow outrage all over the western world/white world.

This incident: 200+ dead confirmed, many more hundreds missive, all because western companies want cheap labor for our cloths and goods. What sort of coverage? Back page news and a 2 minute bulletin.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a westerner and white if that even matters, but it's a bitter pill to swallow if you know what I mean.
stevensr123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2013, 01:51 AM   #10
Eraserhead
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensr123 View Post
This incident: 200+ dead confirmed, many more hundreds missive, all because western companies want cheap labor for our cloths and goods. What sort of coverage? Back page news and a 2 minute bulletin.
There's been lots of coverage in the UK. It is still the top business story on the BBC.

Name:  Screen Shot 2013-04-30 at 07.06.42.png
Views: 145
Size:  36.0 KB

Last edited by Eraserhead; Apr 30, 2013 at 02:08 AM.
Eraserhead is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2013, 03:30 AM   #11
iMikeT
macrumors 68020

Clearly, this is why regulations are needed in the workplace and in the marketplace.

However, I'm sure all the Libertarians/CONservatives/Freemarketeers will say otherwise and say something boneheaded along the lines of "Bwhaaaaaa! Less government, less regulation!!!!! This is exactly how the free market will correct itself. You don't like factory collapses, buy from a different manufacturer, problem solved." To which I say, what about the 200+ people who died because there were no regulations? Spare me.
iMikeT is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2013, 08:43 AM   #12
thekev
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMikeT View Post
Clearly, this is why regulations are needed in the workplace and in the marketplace.

However, I'm sure all the Libertarians/CONservatives/Freemarketeers will say otherwise and say something boneheaded along the lines of "Bwhaaaaaa! Less government, less regulation!!!!! This is exactly how the free market will correct itself. You don't like factory collapses, buy from a different manufacturer, problem solved." To which I say, what about the 200+ people who died because there were no regulations? Spare me.
Baiting them does not help.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 09:20 AM   #13
Tomorrow
macrumors 603

Quote:
I think this incident has less to do with markets and more to do with local building codes and inspectors (or lack thereof).
Old Apr 30, 2013, 11:45 AM   #14
Carouser
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomorrow View Post
I think this incident has less to do with markets and more to do with local building codes and inspectors (or lack thereof).
Local building codes and inspectors, before their implementation, are treated by industry as unnecessary red tape, a drain on efficiency and productivity, and an affront to the virtues of markets.

After the implementation of building codes and inspectors, industry states they approve of them, tolerates them when they have to, and tries to control, reduce, or eliminate them where possible.

If you want to defend codes and inspectors, then you are at some point going to have to discuss how much freedom 'markets' are given.
Carouser is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2013, 12:13 PM   #15
Tomorrow
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carouser View Post
If you want to defend codes and inspectors, then you are at some point going to have to discuss how much freedom 'markets' are given.
Not in this case. The owner was cautioned not to let people into the building - by inspectors - but the building wasn't red tagged. Why not? The inspector was already on the job. Were there code violations? Was a routine inspection missed?

None of that has anything to do with whether the workers were paid a fair wage. I imagine other workers in different (non-crumbling) buildings aren't being paid any better. The market isn't to blame here.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 02:37 PM   #16
Carouser
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Not in this case. The owner was cautioned not to let people into the building - by inspectors - but the building wasn't red tagged. Why not? The inspector was already on the job. Were there code violations? Was a routine inspection missed?

None of that has anything to do with whether the workers were paid a fair wage. I imagine other workers in different (non-crumbling) buildings aren't being paid any better. The market isn't to blame here.
What? I'm talking about the relative balance of power here - between industry to pursue profit as their ultimate end (often at the expense of safety and fairness), and the power of other institutions (such as legal ones) to not only have standards, but to ensure they are enforced. The question of a fair wage is a non sequitur - markets involve more than wages, so I'm not sure what you're objecting to.

I have no idea how you can talk about a workplace accident, a place of ownership, management, and labour, and say you don't have to account for the market's role in this. People ran this factory and went there everyday because of a market. Do you think it is just an issue for structural engineers or something?
Carouser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2013, 03:05 PM   #17
Tomorrow
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carouser View Post
Do you think it is just an issue for structural engineers or something?
That, and safety standards which were either not on the books or not properly enforced.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 06:16 PM   #18
PracticalMac
macrumors 68020

What is really shocking is to see tragedies like this that happened in US and Europe 100~150 years ago happen in developing countries (also garment factory fire 2 months ago)

It is like reinventing the wheel with blood again.

Tragic
PracticalMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2013, 06:41 PM   #19
skunk
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
That, and safety standards which were either not on the books or not properly enforced.
That, and rampant cronyism.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 07:47 PM   #20
iMikeT
macrumors 68020

Quote:

So in order for these safety standards to be enforced, there needs to be regulators. Who, in essence, is an extension of government, good government that is and not police state government (which has become very rampant throughout the world thanks to multinational corporations who buy off government officials in order for them to make a buck on the backs of average people).

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by PracticalMac View Post
What is really shocking is to see tragedies like this that happened in US and Europe 100~150 years ago happen in developing countries (also garment factory fire 2 months ago)

It is like reinventing the wheel with blood again.

Tragic

Get used to seeing these sorts of incidences in our country thanks to those who oppose regulatory agencies.

Keep in mind the fact that a fertilizer plant blew up a couple weeks ago in Texas, a plant that was last inspected in the 1980s.
iMikeT is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2013, 10:56 PM   #21
xShane
macrumors 6502a

Capitalism at its finest.

"Be the change that you wish to see in the world."
xShane is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2013, 05:29 AM   #22
skunk
macrumors Demi-God

It could never happen here.
Old May 4, 2013, 05:41 AM   #23
Happybunny
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by skunk View Post
It could never happen here.
That's what we use to say, until 13th May 2000.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ensched...works_disaster
Old May 4, 2013, 06:22 AM   #24
eawmp1
macrumors 601

Quote:
Keep in mind the fact that a fertilizer plant blew up a couple weeks ago in Texas, a plant that was last inspected in the 1980s.
And whose self-reporting of materials was lacking in that they did not report ammonium nitrate to DHS. There were frequent thefts of anhydrous ammonium used in the manufacture of crystal methamphetamine. Not the security of sites.

But manufacturing works best unregulated and left to its own self-monitoring, just like the finance sector.
eawmp1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2013, 06:35 PM   #25
skunk
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happybunny View Post
That's what we use to say, until 13th May 2000.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ensched...works_disaster
I think you missed the irony...

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues