Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dapitts08

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 1, 2009
does anyone have any experience with these?

any recommendations?

any reasons i shouldn't consider adding one to my set up?

i currently have a late 2012 mac mini and a late 2008 24 inch cinema display.

so the new montior would be connected to the mac mini via the hdmi port.

i am a graphic and web designer.
i also do not have cable and watch all of my tv online.
i also have an antenna that i use on my tv now to get HD channels
my tv needs a major upgrade but adding a 2nd monitor is my preference.
i also have a wiiu and would like to hook that up to the monitor if i do the hybrid.

so far the only monitor with a tv tuner i have looked at is this:

http://www.frys.com/product/6271620

dapitts08

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 1, 2009
Except that it's not a compter monitor, it's a (relatively) low-res 27" 1080p HDTV and not really suited towards graphics design. The Dell UltraSharp U2713HM has the same resolution of the iMac (1440p), and an HDMI input for your Wii U.

As far as watching TV goes, you can use pretty much any display if you connect an elago EyeTV Hybrid to your Mac.

thanks but that is outside of my budget.

would love to keep it in the $300 or below range if possible.

i plan to eventually upgrade to a more expensive monitor in the future but since i just bought the mac mini, an ssd, 16 gigs of ram and an additional external drive within the past two weeks...i kinda of what to keep the costs down

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
I had a Samsung 1920x1200 monitor a few years ago. It had a built-in TV Tuner and speakers, so it was awesome for my little college dorm room. Totally recommend it if you can find one similar.

But maybe as a web and graphic designer, you may want to just get a nice monitor.

EDIT - It was 24in IIRC. Think it initially cost $320, but I sold it about 2 years later for $200, which was around the market price.

dapitts08

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 1, 2009
I had a Samsung 1920x1200 monitor a few years ago. It had a built-in TV Tuner and speakers, so it was awesome for my little college dorm room. Totally recommend it if you can find one similar.

But maybe as a web and graphic designer, you may want to just get a nice monitor.

EDIT - It was 24in IIRC. Think it initially cost $320, but I sold it about 2 years later for $200, which was around the market price.

thanks...this is for a dual monitor set up.

i have an late 2008 ACD that I will use for the design work.

the new monitor will be for stuff like copying and pasting from word into the design program I am using at the time.....having a browser open while using the other monitor for designing....having video playing while designing on the other monitor

so the picture accuracy isn't as critical

i will likely eventually upgrade to a thunderbolt whenever the new model comes out

prior to get the mini i used my macbook pro screen for most of the functionality i mentioned above

i thought i could get by without the dual monitors but it is slowing down my productivity

hence me looking into adding one.

Weerez935

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2012
thanks...this is for a dual monitor set up.

i have an late 2008 ACD that I will use for the design work.

the new monitor will be for stuff like copying and pasting from word into the design program I am using at the time.....having a browser open while using the other monitor for designing....having video playing while designing on the other monitor

so the picture accuracy isn't as critical

i will likely eventually upgrade to a thunderbolt whenever the new model comes out

prior to get the mini i used my macbook pro screen for most of the functionality i mentioned above

i thought i could get by without the dual monitors but it is slowing down my productivity

hence me looking into adding one.

What about this:

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=140913504191

Giuly

macrumors 68040
It doesn't have a TV tuner built-in? Also, the only reason could sell so many 'refurbished' screens is either because they're defective or virtually everyone who bought it figured that a 27" 1080p screen is like looking at colorful squares and shipped it back.

On a somewhat related note, there is still the $399 Monoprice 27" display with a proper 1440p panel. However, that one doesn't have a TV tuner, either. And requires a Dual-Link DVI adapter.

Last edited:

Weerez935

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2012
It doesn't have a TV tuner built-in? Also, the only reason could sell so many 'refurbished' screens is either because they're defective or virtually everyone who bought it figured that a 27" 1080p screen is like looking at colorful squares and shipped it back.

On a somewhat related note, there is still the $399 Monoprice 27" display with a proper 1440p panel. However, that one doesn't have a TV tuner, either. And requires a Dual-Link DVI adapter.

The samsung does have a tv tuner. As well the one you suggested is over the budget. It may be 1080 but its still a nice display over 1/2 off for the refurb.

Giuly

macrumors 68040
The samsung does have a tv tuner. As well the one you suggested is over the budget. It may be 1080 but its still a nice display over 1/2 off for the refurb.

S27B350Inputs.jpg

No, it definitively does not have a built-in TV tuner.

The Monoprice is just a little more expensive than the one the OP was looking at, and well worth it for graphic design.

Weerez935

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2012
No, it definitively does not have a built-in TV tuner.

The Monoprice is just a little more expensive than the one the OP was looking at, and well worth it for graphic design.

My apologies. I was thinking of the t27b350.
The t27 has a tuner but is also only 1080p

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Just buy a 1080p HDTV in your price range. Make sure it has enough HDMI ports. Also turn down the backlight as TV screens are usually brighter than computer screens. Otherwise you'll have a 1920x1080 screen that meets your criteria.

Connect via HDMI not the VGA input (if the TV has one) for optimal picture quality.

bjewett

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2005
Champaign, IL
Monitors with tuner

I suggest this:

http://www.amazon.com/ViewSonic-VT1601LED-16-Inch-LED-lit-Black/dp/B008L2VQXE

I have it. Quite nice. But note there is a very restricted viewing angle, particularly in the vertical. You need to have it placed so you are sighting it somewhat from above, as seen straight on.

I am using it for a preview monitor for cueing video sources before editing them. As you can see there are more than a few source types, which was the appeal for me. The TV tuner was a bonus (I have not yet used the tuner).

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/71PqgpFFkrL._SL1500_.jpg

Under $140 on Amazon. List is $190. Viewsonic's page is:

http://www.viewsonic.com/us/vt1601led.html

I don't work for Viewsonic, but so far I like this product a lot, subject to the limitation on viewing angle. For my needs, it is perfect.

Brian

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.