Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Apr 25, 2013, 08:53 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

'Delicious Library 3' Launches With New Look, Revamped Recommendations, and Mobile Scanner App

Earlier this week, we gave a brief preview of Delicious Monster's Delicious Library 3, a brand-new version of the company's popular cataloging app for OS X. The app is now available in the Mac App Store [Direct Link], and Ars Technica has a thorough overview of the new features.

Among the most immediately obvious changes for existing users of Delicious Library is its updated look, which includes the use of SceneKit to boost the realism, along with subtle animation that allows shelf items to constantly move to face the user's mouse cursor.
Quote:
"We cranked up all the visuals and then cranked down every visual effect so it was something you didn't notice very much," [Delicious Monster CEO Wil] Shipley said. "This has all the graphics effects and polish of a game from a couple years ago. As far as I know, nobody else has used OpenGL in consumer products like this at all, much less the environment mapping and other stuff like that."
Other enhancements include a new stats pane to give users quick overviews of their collections, as well as a completely revamped recommendation engine.
Quote:
"This isn't about what I own, it's about getting my personality in the computer," Shipley said. "Now, if you scan your whole DVD collection, it provides a bunch of recommendations based on the aggregate of that information. Then if you rate them all, it'll refine the recommendations."
Finally, Delicious Monster has released a free companion iOS app, Delicious Scanner [Direct Link], that will pair with the user's Mac over Wi-Fi and allow his or her iOS device to serve as a mobile barcode scanner.

Delicious Library 3 is available now in the Mac App Store for $24.99. [Direct Link]

Article Link: 'Delicious Library 3' Launches With New Look, Revamped Recommendations, and Mobile Scanner App
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2013, 09:04 AM   #2
sigamy
macrumors 65816

The oiginal skeuomorphic app? It's the first one that I really remember...
Old Apr 25, 2013, 09:12 AM   #3
BornAgainMac
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigamy View Post
The oiginal skeuomorphic app? It's the first one that I really remember...
They had many in the early 90's during the Multimedia CD age. Also Microsoft Bob was an extreme case.
BornAgainMac is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2013, 09:13 AM   #4
Windlasher
macrumors 6502

Upgrade....

$24? No upgrade pricing.
Windlasher is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2013, 09:16 AM   #5
aooga12
macrumors member

I'm not really sure what this is? Can someone summarize what this app does and is good for?
aooga12 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2013, 09:16 AM   #6
bedifferent
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windlasher View Post
$24? No upgrade pricing.
Seriously. I just bought ver. 2 a few weeks ago, now I need to throw down $24.99 if I want/need the update?
Old Apr 25, 2013, 09:16 AM   #7
BaldiMac
macrumors 604

Quote:
$24? No upgrade pricing.
According to their website, since the Mac App Store doesn't allow upgrade pricing, they decided to cut the price from $35 to $25 for everyone.
BaldiMac is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2013, 09:17 AM   #8
Ted13
macrumors 6502

So looks like because of the veto power Amazon holds, there still isn't and won't be an iOS version of Delicious Library. All we get is a no doubt extremely useful scanner app. Bruji's PocketPedia along with its Mac based DVDPedia/BookPedia/etc. remains the only game in town, but they had to drop Amazon support to be able to do it.

The feature in Delicious Library 3 that excites me the most is integration with Amazon reselling -- my mom does it, and this program should be a god-sent for her.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 09:17 AM   #9
CylonGlitch
macrumors 68030

Nice of them to drop the DL2 to $9.99. I have DL2, love it, but since I purchased it I moved to all digital for everything that I had in it; thus I really don't need it anymore. Nice app though.
Last edited by CylonGlitch : Tomorrow at 37:05 AM.
MRoogle
CylonGlitch is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2013, 09:19 AM   #10
benedetti
macrumors member

So no upgrade for DL2 users even if they bought it like a month ago.
Anyway, original app looks way better then this one. As someone said,"they never really recovered from Mike Matas departure many years ago". And from the blog posts it seems that it's "3 people company", so expect many, many bugs just like with ver.2

Last edited by benedetti; Apr 25, 2013 at 09:24 AM.
benedetti is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2013, 09:21 AM   #11
I WAS the one
macrumors 6502a

This app is cute. Useless. I tried and tried to use it and make it part of my organized live but I always ended up using other options.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 09:21 AM   #12
bedifferent
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by benedetti View Post
So no upgrade for DL2 users even if they bought it like one month ago.
Anyway, original app looks way better then this one. As someone said,"they never really recovered from Mike Matas departure many years ago". And from the blog posts it seems that it's "3 people company".
I bought it in March, I sent an email expressing my disappointment. I realize it may be a significant update, and perhaps they dropped the price to $24.99, they also dropped ver. 2 to $9.99. Perhaps allowing users with a valid ver. 2 purchase a $9.99 upgrade price would be better suited. Either way, don't need it, not buying it.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 09:25 AM   #13
Zimmy68
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaldiMac View Post
According to their website, since the Mac App Store doesn't allow upgrade pricing, they decided to cut the price from $35 to $25 for everyone.
How nice of them, aren't they sweet?

Nothing to stop them from having a non app store version upgrade, is there?

TuneUpMedia does it.

I am loving this new age of subscription pricing.
Zimmy68 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2013, 09:31 AM   #14
Mr.damien

Quote:
$24? No upgrade pricing.
I think we should give you some "upgrade wage". We only pay you the first month fully, then you only get an "upgrade wage" like only 50% of your salary until the end of your job.

Seems fair to me, after the first month, you are not new anymore and you are doing always the same work. So your employer shouldn't pay you more as it sounds like an upgrade work month and not revolutionary work month.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonGlitch View Post
Nice of them to drop the DL2 to $9.99. I have DL2, love it, but since I purchased it I moved to all digital for everything that I had in it; thus I really don't need it anymore. Nice app though.
While I am trying to do the same (works great for audio and videos), you just can't do it yet totally for books.

A lot of books are not available as ebooks, when they are, a lot of them has DRMs with it and is attached to seller solution. Moreover, ebooks are still not very good for complex layout like used in design books, drawings, etc ...
  4 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2013, 09:35 AM   #15
JayCee842
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by aooga12 View Post
I'm not really sure what this is? Can someone summarize what this app does and is good for?
Same here. Anyone care to give some clarification?
JayCee842 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2013, 09:44 AM   #16
ethana
Banned

You all should try either the iCollect set of apps or search "Sort It Apps" on the App Store. Much better than Delicious Library by far!

----------

Here is a link:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/artist/sort-it!-apps/id476462002?uo=4
ethana is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2013, 09:44 AM   #17
mixel
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to mixel Send a message via MSN to mixel Send a message via Yahoo to mixel
I've previously used DL to catalogue my (somewhat insane) games library across many different formats. Having them searchable by things like no of players etc makes it pretty handy.

It's also a very efficient way of keeping an inventory for insurance purposes.
mixel is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2013, 09:45 AM   #18
stukdog
macrumors 6502

I don't see it in the article so I thought I'd mention it in the comments here. You can also download it straight from their site and purchase it through them instead of the MAS. They make a bit more money that way, and it also means you get earlier access to new releases. It's at Delicious-Monster.com
stukdog is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2013, 09:45 AM   #19
Corrode
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCee842 View Post
Same here. Anyone care to give some clarification?
I think it's purpose is to help us realize that we have SO much junk that we need an app just to remember it all. It's pretty sad knowing that there's a whole market dedicated to apps that just tell you what stuff you have and suggest what you need more of.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 09:51 AM   #20
baryon
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrode View Post
I think it's purpose is to help us realize that we have SO much junk that we need an app just to remember it all. It's pretty sad knowing that there's a whole market dedicated to apps that just tell you what stuff you have and suggest what you need more of.
Haha, yeah, it's quite crazy…
Old Apr 25, 2013, 09:55 AM   #21
Eduardo1971
macrumors 65816

!
Eduardo1971 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2013, 09:55 AM   #22
jwdsail
macrumors regular

All I want to know is...

All I want to know is, can you turn the "recommendation" crap off?

I'd pay $50 for a version that included a *full iOS app* and none of the "recommendation" crap...

Sigh.
jwdsail is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2013, 09:56 AM   #23
Preclaro_tipo
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to Preclaro_tipo
Step up and state those options

Quote:
Originally Posted by I WAS the one View Post
This app is cute. Useless. I tried and tried to use it and make it part of my organized live but I always ended up using other options.
What other options? Please state.
Preclaro_tipo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2013, 09:58 AM   #24
Eduardo1971
macrumors 65816

Downloaded v2.0 but never bought it. Might just purchase this new version to catalogue my books and media.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 10:00 AM   #25
GizmoDVD
macrumors 6502a

So still no iOs App where I can check to see if I already own the title when not at my computer? Ugh.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion