Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Apr 25, 2013, 09:01 AM   #1
ugahairydawgs
macrumors 68020

Congressional leaders trying to carve out an exemption for them from the ACA

This would actually be funny if it weren't for the fact that all of the regular citizens out there that can't draw up legislation to exempt themselves from it are still going to get pounded in the wallet by this thing.

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/0...610.html?hp=t1
ugahairydawgs is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2013, 09:23 AM   #2
lannister80
macrumors 6502

So they want to be allowed to not carry health insurance? Confused...
Old Apr 25, 2013, 09:31 AM   #3
Aspasia
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannister80 View Post
So they want to be allowed to not carry health insurance? Confused...
No, its about the cost:

Quote:
The problem stems from whether members and aides set to enter the exchanges would have their health insurance premiums subsidized by their employer — in this case, the federal government. If not, aides and lawmakers in both parties fear that staffers — especially low-paid junior aides — could be hit with thousands of dollars in new health care costs, prompting them to seek jobs elsewhere. Older, more senior staffers could also retire or jump to the private sector rather than face a big financial penalty.
I like Senator Burr's comment:

“I have no problems with Congress being under the same guidelines,” Burr said. “I think if this is going to be a disaster — which I think it’s going to be — we ought to enjoy it together with our constituents.”
Aspasia is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2013, 10:18 AM   #4
eric/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspasia View Post
No, its about the cost:

I like Senator Burr's comment:

“I have no problems with Congress being under the same guidelines,” Burr said. “I think if this is going to be a disaster — which I think it’s going to be — we ought to enjoy it together with our constituents.”
Hilarious!

I agree. I think that this needs to apply for everybody.
eric/ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2013, 10:24 AM   #5
ugahairydawgs
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric/ View Post
Hilarious!

I think nobody would be better....but since that shipped has sailed I guess everyone gets to go down with it.
ugahairydawgs is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2013, 10:27 AM   #6
eric/

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugahairydawgs View Post
I think nobody would be better....but since that shipped has sailed I guess everyone gets to go down with it.
Well yeah I agree. If they were going to do state healthcare they botched it hardcore, but if they are going to do it I also agree that it needs to be applied to Washington D.C. too. You don't get to make laws for the rest of the country.
eric/ is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2013, 08:15 PM   #7
zin
macrumors 6502

Can somebody point towards a statement by the providers of insurance detailing precisely why Obamacare will increase their costs? What I've read so far is basically brief press releases from some providers saying their general costs will go up.

I look at their message with skepticism.

Health insurance companies have enjoyed a destructive monopoly of healthcare for a very long time in the US. It seems to me that they will increase their prices purely to influence public opinion on Obamacare and shift people against it. That way, no further progress can be made in addition to Obamacare (e.g. shifting to single payer). The least they want is for their guaranteed revenue streams to drop.

It will be interesting to see those company's financial results in 2014, and whether or not the not-for-profit providers will do the same.
zin is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2013, 09:05 PM   #8
Aspasia
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by zin View Post
Can somebody point towards a statement by the providers of insurance detailing precisely why Obamacare will increase their costs? What I've read so far is basically brief press releases from some providers saying their general costs will go up.

I look at their message with skepticism.

Health insurance companies have enjoyed a destructive monopoly of healthcare for a very long time in the US. It seems to me that they will increase their prices purely to influence public opinion on Obamacare and shift people against it. That way, no further progress can be made in addition to Obamacare (e.g. shifting to single payer). The least they want is for their guaranteed revenue streams to drop.

It will be interesting to see those company's financial results in 2014, and whether or not the not-for-profit providers will do the same.
An interesting article:

http://www.kaiserhealthnews.org/Stor...ost-study.aspx

Even more interesting is the following information about the regional difference in costs. Some win, some lose.

http://capsules.kaiserhealthnews.org...raphic-big.pdf
Aspasia is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2013, 10:23 AM   #9
dscuber9000
macrumors 6502a

If I remember correctly, Republicans threw in that mandate thinking it would waver Democrat support of the entire bill back when Democrats had 59 in the Senate and a House majority, but Democrats ended up not minding and used it (and other passages) to claim bi-partisan support.

Quote:
Democrats, in particular, would take a public hammering as the traditional boosters of Obamacare. Republicans would undoubtedly attempt to shred them over any attempt to escape coverage by it, unless Boehner and Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) give Democrats cover by backing it.
The political science of blame is truly amazing.
Old Apr 28, 2013, 05:34 PM   #10
Technarchy
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric/ View Post
Hilarious!

This should be true of every law passed. You live under the laws your create.

Legislators love living off the fat of the land and spending tax payer money, but rarely want to be one of the rabble.

There should be ZERO exemptions to Obamacare. Everyone should have to take a big bite of that turd pie, especially those that passed it to learn what's in it.
Steve Jobs, January 9th 2007, 10:44am: "We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them."
Technarchy is online now   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues