Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

princebig7

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 25, 2013
Hello all brand new to MacRumors! This is my situation. I own a kindle fire hd, its ok but I also own an iphone 4s and macbook pro and want to add an ipad. I mostly stream, read books, movies etc. (not a big gamer so I dont see a reason in getting the upgraded 4). I love the way the mini was designed but for the obvious reasons (no retina) I didn't pull the trigger. The larger ipad always appealed to me but was out of my price range.
Is it worth it to get a refurb ipad3 wifi 16gb from apple (after tax will be $412 for me) or should I just wait for the new design? This delay is annoying since I was hoping for a spring release. I just don't want to be a sucker paying 400 plus now then selling it and buying the new ipad 5 or ipad mini 2 but this seems like a really good chance to grab a piece of technology that is pretty current for a great discount. I've heard rumors of the ipad 3 overheating and such but when I contacted apple they re assured me any issues like that would of been fixed with the replacement of a new battery and outershell on their refurb ipad 3's. Not a tech wiz whatsoever so need some guidance hear on what the best choice is for me. Thanks in advance!

WhiteIphone5

macrumors 65816
May 27, 2011
Lima, Peru
Hello all brand new to MacRumors! This is my situation. I own a kindle fire hd, its ok but I also own an iphone 4s and macbook pro and want to add an ipad. I mostly stream, read books, movies etc. (not a big gamer so I dont see a reason in getting the upgraded 4). I love the way the mini was designed but for the obvious reasons (no retina) I didn't pull the trigger. The larger ipad always appealed to me but was out of my price range.
Is it worth it to get a refurb ipad3 wifi 16gb from apple (after tax will be $412 for me) or should I just wait for the new design? This delay is annoying since I was hoping for a spring release. I just don't want to be a sucker paying 400 plus now then selling it and buying the new ipad 5 or ipad mini 2 but this seems like a really good chance to grab a piece of technology that is pretty current for a great discount. I've heard rumors of the ipad 3 overheating and such but when I contacted apple they re assured me any issues like that would of been fixed with the replacement of a new battery and outershell on their refurb ipad 3's. Not a tech wiz whatsoever so need some guidance hear on what the best choice is for me. Thanks in advance!

If I may, I suggest to check with your local Craigslist or eBay. I've seen cheaper iPad 3's. refurbished 4th gen start at 400 on eBay.

princebig7

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 25, 2013
If apple is selling the refurb I prefer to go through them since they replace the battery and outer shell along with a 1 yr warranty.

WhiteIphone5

macrumors 65816
May 27, 2011
Lima, Peru
If apple is selling the refurb I prefer to go through them since they replace the battery and outer shell along with a 1 yr warranty.

I guess. But I mean if you're spending 400+ on a refurb 3rd gen with tax. I highly suggest you wait on the iPad 5. If you decide not to buy the 5, the 4th gen would drop to $400. Just something to consider...

princebig7

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 25, 2013
true, but I am becoming very impatient lol but you're probably right even the refurbs may drop more.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
true, but I am becoming very impatient lol but you're probably right even the refurbs may drop more.

You can go to just about any Best Buy and get a preowned 4 16gb for a little more, most are returns within 14 days. If you want the 3, best get a better price.

princebig7

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 25, 2013
anyone else?? Kinda need to make a decision soon, input is greatly appreciated!!

Last edited:

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
too bad you don't live near Delaware - tax free shopping.

i am 38 mins from the Apple Store there - i always take the drive down which equates to just $9 in gas.

considering my last purchase was $1,800 in iPads, i saved quite a bit of money

Pinkstiletto66

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2010
New York City.
Well would you want to spend the extra in the future? A newer one would be what 200 more? If money isnt an issue you can buy one know, sell it later for the 5, or just wait.

MandyAW92

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2013
Why not get one from an Apple refurb site, they will give you a better price than £400 and you can get a warranty from them

princebig7

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 25, 2013
@mandy, thats my dilemma getting a refurb from apple for 379 + tax = 412 for me. I dont know if I should just stick it out with my kindle fire hd 8.9 for the next 6 months or pull the trigger on the refurb.

ramram55

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
@mandy, thats my dilemma getting a refurb from apple for 379 + tax = 412 for me. I dont know if I should just stick it out with my kindle fire hd 8.9 for the next 6 months or pull the trigger on the refurb.
The question is you got to ask yourself is it is worth going for the refurb Ipad 3.
Or you want to wait for the ipad 5( it is as sure as the sunrise tomorrow this year new one will come out, how good ?)
The hindsight is you always want to get the best and the latest. The latest means patience.

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
I'd wait. Why go through the hassle of buying and reselling. You know you'll probably want the 5 when it's announced. I purchased a 2 a few months ago, and while it does all I want, I know I will want the 5 when it comes out. The 3rd gen is an iPad 2 with a retina display. If you want a future-proof device (as in one that can get the max iOS updates), wait for the 5th gen.

princebig7

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 25, 2013
@myrtlebee, very valid point I'm going to want the 5 I just thought these ipad 3's refurb from apple were a steal!

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
If you choose to buy an iPad 3 then can you sell it when iPad 5 comes out? It does not hurt to buy an iPad 3 just because you are very extremely impatience. :apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.