Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Globe199

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 6, 2009
I have been searching in vain for the answer to this question. There was a time (possibly pre-itunes 11?) when you could view the ipa files that were synced with your iOS device. They were located in a Mobile Applications folder under where iTunes syncs music.

But that was back when there was a "Sync Apps" checkbox in iTunes. Now that box is gone, and for the life of me I can't tell if apps are being synced or not. I suspect that they are, but that Apple is now encrypting or otherwise obscuring the files in C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup\

I'm seeing large files in there that are probably the apps, but they aren't accessible as such.

When I click an app in the Apps section of iTunes, I can't right-click the app, and File > Get Info is disabled.

Previously the only way to downgrade apps was to backup the ipa file, remove the app from your iOS device, then copy the old ipa back onto the device. I'm guessing that this is now completely impossible.

Can anyone help?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.