Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Apr 25, 2013, 04:07 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

T-Mobile to Change 'Deceptive' No-Contract Ads, Offer Refunds

Washington state Attorney General Bob Ferguson has ordered T-Mobile to alter its new "Uncarrier"*advertising strategy, calling its contract free claims "deceptive."

Alongside the launch of the iPhone 5 earlier this month, T-Mobile rolled out new rate plans, which are designed to separate device costs from service costs. To purchase a device like the iPhone 5, T-Mobile customers make a small downpayment and pay off the rest of the cost over a two-year period, while also paying for a separate service plan.

According to Ferguson, T-Mobile has failed to clearly state that while there is no annual contract for T-Mobile subscribers, customers who cease using T-Mobile's service must pay off the remaining cost of the device.
Quote:
"As Attorney General, my job is to defend consumers, ensure truth in advertising, and make sure all businesses are playing by the rules," Ferguson said. "My office identified that T-Mobile was failing to adequately disclose a critical component of their new plan to consumers, and we acted quickly to stop this practice and protect consumers across the country from harm."
As a result, Ferguson entered into a court ordered agreement with T-Mobile that will require the carrier to explicitly disclose the details of its contract free plans both through its advertisements and with employee training.
Quote:
T-Mobile cooperated with the Attorney General's Office in signing an Assurance of Discontinuance (AOD) filed in King County Superior Court today. Under the AOD, the company agrees not to:

-Misrepresent consumers' obligations under its contracts, including those contracts that have not restrictions or limitations; and
-Fail to adequately disclose that customers who terminate their T-Mobile wireless service before their device is paid off will have to pay the balance due on the phone at the time of cancellation.
The agreement also requires T-Mobile to offer full refunds to customers who purchased T-Mobile service and equipment between the dates of March 26 and April 25, 2013. Subscribers who purchased phones during this time period can cancel their service plans and receive device refunds without the need to pay the remaining balance on the device.

Article Link: T-Mobile to Change 'Deceptive' No-Contract Ads, Offer Refunds
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2013, 04:09 PM   #2
komodrone
Banned

"...but I thought I can just sign up and cancel to get a super cheap phone. T-mobile is so deceptive!"
komodrone is offline   40 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2013, 04:10 PM   #3
needfx
macrumors Demi-God

Can this Attorney General take over a few mobile carrier cases in Greece too?

Pretty please!

--edit
to clarify, greek carriers market & sell "Unlimited Plans" but right under they stipulate "Fair use policy applies" which actually restricts you (in minutes/sms/Gb)

So why the heck do they keep advertising as unlimited?

Last edited by needfx; Apr 25, 2013 at 04:41 PM.
needfx is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2013, 04:10 PM   #4
econgeek
macrumors 6502

In other words, the remnants of US West aka QWEST, got their political crony to force a competitor to make their advertising less compelling, because it was hurting sales.

Protection of consumers never entered the picture.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 04:10 PM   #5
nizzard
macrumors newbie

Well, I'm sure AT&T just blew a load reading about this.
nizzard is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2013, 04:11 PM   #6
HenryDJP
macrumors 68020

I already mentioned a couple of weeks back that while T-Mobile's business plan SEEMS doable, there's always a "Gotcha". Gotta love how they misspelled OUR and wrote ARE. How much money does this company have? Weaksauce.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-04-25 at 2.12.02 PM.png
Views:	697
Size:	150.8 KB
ID:	409606  
HenryDJP is offline   14 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2013, 04:11 PM   #7
Gasu E.
macrumors 68020

It's good we have Attorneys General to protect idiots from themselves. Otherwise, the idiots would quickly die out, and brainy people would be forced to take your fries order.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 04:12 PM   #8
TimeSquareDesi
macrumors regular

T-mobile has always been run by crooks. When I told them I was switching to AT&T in a few months, TWICE they charged me some random $300 fee and they never told me what it was about. I called them up, yelled for a couple of minutes and they removed it. Such crooks.
TimeSquareDesi is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2013, 04:15 PM   #9
Aragrist
macrumors newbie

Did anyone else notice that it says "From now on, many of the things are competitors do, we don't." They used the are instead of our.
Aragrist is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2013, 04:19 PM   #10
Mystic Eddy
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragrist View Post
Did anyone else notice that it says "From now on, many of the things are competitors do, we don't." They used the are instead of our.
See post #6.
Mystic Eddy is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2013, 04:19 PM   #11
ouimetnick
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to ouimetnick Send a message via Yahoo to ouimetnick Send a message via Skype™ to ouimetnick
The picture with the misspelling of OUR to ARE was a leaked photo. It was discussed a few weeks back. T-Mobile corrected that mistake when they went public with everything. Not sure why MR is using old leaked material here.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 04:20 PM   #12
eccentricglow
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeSquareDesi View Post
T-mobile has always been run by crooks. When I told them I was switching to AT&T in a few months, TWICE they charged me some random $300 fee and they never told me what it was about. I called them up, yelled for a couple of minutes and they removed it. Such crooks.
Truth is, most/all the major carriers have acted like this at some point. The whole system is rigged.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 04:20 PM   #13
swissmann
macrumors 6502a

Sounds to me like this Bob guy is an idiot. I understand what no contract means. It means you can move on anytime you like it does not mean free (or almost free) phone. If you move on give back the phone or buy it outright. Seemed pretty straightforward to me.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 04:26 PM   #14
HenryDJP
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragrist View Post
Yep, you didn't notice my post above.
HenryDJP is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2013, 04:27 PM   #15
Applerer
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeSquareDesi View Post
Surrrrre they did. Why would you tell them you're switching in a few months? I've switched carriers a few times and never warned them in advance.

In any case, as eccentricglow points out, all the carriers are crooks.
Applerer is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2013, 04:27 PM   #16
Smearbrick
macrumors newbie

Seems that maybe the Attorney General should be more worried about the morons who didn't understand this "obviously deceptive" plan.

Legislating to the lowest common denominator. Who doesn't love America?
Smearbrick is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2013, 04:34 PM   #17
rjohnstone
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by econgeek View Post
In other words, the remnants of US West aka QWEST, got their political crony to force a competitor to make their advertising less compelling, because it was hurting sales.

Qwest doesn't exist anymore... they were bought up two years ago.
And Qwest and T-Mobile were never direct competitors.
Qwest was landlines and T-Mobile is wireless.

Qwest did offer wireless through a partnership with Verizon.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 04:38 PM   #18
mdriftmeyer
macrumors 68020

Quote:

Written like a Neo-con.

Sorry, but if Clink is doing the same they will be ordered as well. This is a classic example of how come Washingon State will never go republican. We're not that dumb.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjohnstone View Post
Qwest doesn't exist anymore... they were bought up two years ago.
And Qwest and T-Mobile were never direct competitors.
Qwest was landlines and T-Mobile is wireless.

Qwest did offer wireless through a partnership with Verizon.
Still does, by offering DirecTV and Verizon Wireless single billing. Of course, their angle is ADSL, DirectTV is satellite and VZ is obvious.

Each working together to thwart Comcast.

Now with DISH and it's $25.2 Billion bid for Sprint/ClearWire already offered and VZ wanting to buy some of ClearWire spectrum legal wars are heating up in WA.
mdriftmeyer is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2013, 04:39 PM   #19
xkmxkmxlmx
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasu E. View Post
It's good we have Attorneys General to protect idiots from themselves. Otherwise, the idiots would quickly die out, and brainy people would be forced to take your fries order.
Oh, the irony.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 04:40 PM   #20
gmcalpin
macrumors 6502

You're signing up for a payment plan for the phone, not a cell phone service contract. If you don't buy a phone: no contract. How is that not obvious to anybody with a brain?
Old Apr 25, 2013, 04:43 PM   #21
Terrin
macrumors 6502

Quote:

Bingo. The advertising was hardly deceptive. You are not required to get a phone. Nowhere in the advertising does T-Mobile even refer to you getting a phone.
Terrin is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2013, 04:43 PM   #22
Droidrage729
macrumors 6502

Its still a good deal who cares im saving over 100 bucks on t mobile and i have faster data speeds.
Droidrage729 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2013, 04:46 PM   #23
yakapo
macrumors regular

Quote:

EXACTLY. These guys don't give a rip about the consumer. If they did they wouldn't let at&t or verizon double bill customers for data then bill them for "text messaging" aka data.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 04:47 PM   #24
tigres
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by nizzard View Post
Well, I'm sure AT&T just blew a load reading about this.
Who's to say AT&T had no involvement; wouldn't be surprised
Old Apr 25, 2013, 04:49 PM   #25
newagemac
macrumors 68000

I'm pretty sure this was lobby money from Verizon and AT&T at work. The uncarrier campaign sure must have been hurting sales. There isn't a single person who thought you could sign up with T-Mobile and cancel the next day with a free iPhone like this AG is suggesting.

There is no contract with the wireless service. The phone isn't free. Everyone already knew that but of course this wasn't ever about "protecting the consumer" it was about protecting the big duopoly we have going on here in the U.S.

Case in point, this buffoon was no where in sight with AT&T reneging on its "unlimited" contract, blocking FaceTime for a long time, and all sorts of other real chances to protect the consumer. Of course he'll come out swinging for the AT&T lobbyists lining his pockets though.
newagemac is offline   17 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion