Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kenglade

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 20, 2008
Does anyone know if Apple manufactures power cords longer than the one that came with a 21.5" intel iMac? Or an extension cord?

kenglade

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 20, 2008
Seriously? This is a joke right?

No, it's no joke. I just experienced a severe power surge that ruined some of my equipment so I bought a UPS to help guard against it happening again. For physical reasons I had to locate the device about six feet from my desktop. The manual that came with the UPS said not to use it with an extension cord. i assume that's because there is a factor that an extension cord adds to the efficiency/non-efficiency of the device. I want to plug my desktop directly into the UPS but the power cord is not long enough. I know a number of devices come with cords of varying lengths, apparently so extension cords do not need to be used. I was wondering if Apple also manufactured longer cords so I didn't have to use an extension cord.

I may not be that bright but I'm not given to posing humorous questions on a serious web site.

Reactions: LAClarke1201

eldho

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2011
No, it's no joke. I just experienced a severe power surge that ruined some of my equipment so I bought a UPS to help guard against it happening again. For physical reasons I had to locate the device about six feet from my desktop. The manual that came with the UPS said not to use it with an extension cord. i assume that's because there is a factor that an extension cord adds to the efficiency/non-efficiency of the device. I want to plug my desktop directly into the UPS but the power cord is not long enough. I know a number of devices come with cords of varying lengths, apparently so extension cords do not need to be used. I was wondering if Apple also manufactured longer cords so I didn't have to use an extension cord.

I may not be that bright but I'm not given to posing humorous questions on a serious web site.

I would think that the most important part of not using an extension cord would be not to use one between the UPS and your power socket. That means that the UPS gets the full impact of any surge and can respond accordingly to protect your things. I imagine that it would not matter as much to use an extension from the UPS to your computer.

CTopher

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2010
Does anyone know if Apple manufactures power cords longer than the one that came with a 21.5" intel iMac? Or an extension cord?

You could buy a legnth that you need. These won't have the flush piece on the apple cable.

http://rackmountpdu.com/Category/154-white-5-15p-to-c13.aspx

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
No, it's no joke. I just experienced a severe power surge that ruined some of my equipment so I bought a UPS to help guard against it happening again. For physical reasons I had to locate the device about six feet from my desktop. The manual that came with the UPS said not to use it with an extension cord.
The UPS should be plugged directly in to the wall and not an extension cord.

As for going from the UPS to the devices, an extension cord is fine. Just get one that has heavy enough wiring to support your iMac.

One thing that the UPS manufacturer is rightly concerned about is people using extension cords with multiple sockets making it very easy for people to overload the UPS.

smoledman

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2011
I would also like to know what my option is for late 2013 iMac. I have a UPS and I want to plug directly in. I need 8-10' long.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.