Apple Offering Some Devs a Second Chance at WWDC Tickets - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Apr 25, 2013, 05:41 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Offering Some Devs a Second Chance at WWDC Tickets

Tickets for Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference sold out this morning in less than two minutes, leaving a number of developers with error messages stating that their purchase requests were unable to be processed.

According to a tweet from Red Sweater Software founder Daniel Jalkut, Apple contacted some registered members of its developer program to offer them a second chance to purchase a WWDC ticket. Eric Doleki detailed his phone call from Apple in a blog post.
Quote:
I pick up and a nice guy tells me he's from Apple Developer Support and that they noticed that I tried to purchase a ticket today and that the transaction didn't go through. I told him that was true. I thought the next thing out of his mouth would be an apology or something - just to be nice.

He then proceeds to tell me that he's got good news - a ticket has been reserved for me in my name and that I'll be receiving an email from Developer Support within 12 hours with instructions on how to purchase the pass. He thanked me for supporting the platform, etc.
Dolecki's story has been confirmed by several other developers on Twitter who have also received phone calls from Apple. The company appears to be offering tickets to developers who experienced a failed purchase after placing a WWDC ticket in their shopping carts.

Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference will take place June 10-14 at the Moscone West convention center in San Francisco. Tickets are priced at $1599.

Article Link: Apple Offering Some Devs a Second Chance at WWDC Tickets
MacRumors is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2013, 05:43 PM   #2
holmesf
macrumors 6502a

Two of the three engineers at my company got this call. We had all tried to purchase tickets at 10am, none of us with any success.
holmesf is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2013, 05:44 PM   #3
ConCat
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmesf View Post
Two of the three engineers at my company got this call. We had all tried to purchase tickets at 10am, none of us with any success.
If I was you, I would have wrote a macro to auto-purchase tickets the moment they go on sale. Considering the crowd that shows to these things, I wouldn't be surprised if quite of few of them do that.
ConCat is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2013, 05:48 PM   #4
darcyjames
macrumors Demi-God

Sucks to be the people that had to re-enter the CAPTCHA code.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 05:50 PM   #5
Rampage Dev
macrumors member

So Apple does have a soul. Who knew!
Rampage Dev is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2013, 05:51 PM   #6
pixelpro
macrumors member

This is what separates the king of customer service from the copycats!
pixelpro is offline   49 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2013, 05:57 PM   #7
Keyhole
macrumors member

Seems like the system may have failed and made it seem like all of the tickets were sold out in two minutes. Apple is following up trying to sell off the unsold tickets without re-opening the sale to the public.

Just a theory.
Keyhole is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2013, 06:07 PM   #8
petsounds
macrumors 6502a

I was in the process of checking out when the ticket was removed from my cart. Same thing happened to a colleague of mine. This happened for both of us way under the published sellout time. He got an e-mail saying there was a ticket for him, however I haven't heard a peep from Apple.

They need a reservation timer like Ticketmaster and many other sites have.
petsounds is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2013, 06:08 PM   #9
JayCee842
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelpro View Post
Couldn't have said it any better.
JayCee842 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2013, 06:12 PM   #10
relimw
macrumors 6502a

Really, if you actually pay Apple money to be a developer, they should reserve a ticket for you versus "opening it to the public"...
Mac Pro 3GHz; 12GB; x1900; AE+BT
relimw is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2013, 06:21 PM   #11
chrisbru
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by relimw View Post
Really, if you actually pay Apple money to be a developer, they should reserve a ticket for you versus "opening it to the public"...
The problem is the extreme excess of paid developers vs. amount of space at the conference. It only costs $100 to be a member of the developer program.

Edit: Don't quote me on that number, it may have changed since the last time I looked.

Edit: Yup, $99. I bet there are way more than 5,000 "developers" (that's how many tickets were available) who just pay the $99 to have access to iOS betas.
https://developer.apple.com/programs/ios/
chrisbru is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2013, 06:23 PM   #12
B...
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbru View Post
The problem is the extreme excess of paid developers vs. amount of space at the conference. It only costs $100 to be a member of the developer program.

Edit: Don't quote me on that number, it may have changed since the last time I looked.
$99 a year for each. So more than $100.
B... is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2013, 06:23 PM   #13
Shaun, UK
macrumors 68000

Seems a daft system to me. Couldn't they hold a series of WWDC conferences around the world over the space of a month to give more developers a chance to attend. Not all Mac developers live in California.

Or maybe take it online instead with webcast seminars and presentations followed by the chance to have web chats with Apple engineers.

The current system just shows how US centric Apple still is despite repeatedly stating that future growth will primarily come from international sales.
Shaun, UK is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2013, 06:24 PM   #14
gibbz
macrumors 68030

Send a message via AIM to gibbz
My buddy just received a call informing him that he now has a ticket.
gibbz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2013, 06:26 PM   #15
maxosx
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConCat View Post
If I was you, I would have wrote a macro to auto-purchase tickets the moment they go on sale. Considering the crowd that shows to these things, I wouldn't be surprised if quite of few of them do that.
Our company does this & avoids the madness.

Apple just loves headlines. They can hype anything.

No wonder they have such a variety of FART apps. Kids love Em.
maxosx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2013, 06:27 PM   #16
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by relimw View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbru View Post
My understanding is that there are something like 250,000+ devs just counting the one's with apps in the Apple app stores.

And only 5000 seats...seems like it would work out too well.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 06:29 PM   #17
fr33 loader
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelpro View Post
Lol. You call it great customer service, I call it a screw up.

If it would have been working properly, they could have avoided all this hassle. Good spin on the story though.
fr33 loader is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2013, 06:31 PM   #18
turtle777
macrumors 6502

LO, this is like scoring a Bag of Crap from Woot!

-t
turtle777 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2013, 06:32 PM   #19
timborama
macrumors member

Hmmm, can't even get 5,000 sales right. SJ would not approve.
timborama is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2013, 06:33 PM   #20
Rogifan
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by timborama View Post
Wow how original.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 06:33 PM   #21
coolfactor
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by petsounds View Post
I was in the process of checking out when the ticket was removed from my cart. Same thing happened to a colleague of mine. This happened for both of us way under the published sellout time. He got an e-mail saying there was a ticket for him, however I haven't heard a peep from Apple.

They need a reservation timer like Ticketmaster and many other sites have.
Wasn't the published sellout time just two minutes, so how could you have done your purchase "way under" that time?
coolfactor is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2013, 06:33 PM   #22
macalec
macrumors 6502

I think that it was very nice of them to do this! They could have simply looked the other way with regard to this and blamed it on servers,etc. Maybe they have more room at the conference than they let on...
macalec is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2013, 06:39 PM   #23
1600VAM
macrumors newbie

Awesome, got the call, as did a few other engineers in my org. I tried to complete my transaction at about 10:02 but got an error. I'm guessing the system that actually completed the transactions failed after about a minute, but they recognized that they had enough orders and just closed it, knowing they could go through the logs and follow up with the customers in order.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post
Seems a daft system to me. Couldn't they hold a series of WWDC conferences around the world over the space of a month to give more developers a chance to attend. Not all Mac developers live in California.

Or maybe take it online instead with webcast seminars and presentations followed by the chance to have web chats with Apple engineers.

The current system just shows how US centric Apple still is despite repeatedly stating that future growth will primarily come from international sales.
I think there are a few reasons they don't do this:
- They're already putting the presentations online on the day of.
- They don't want their engineers away for more than a few days.
- The best part of the conference is the keynote, which you can only do once.
- The after hours experience is a pretty significant part as well, and you can go have drinks and talk big without having to get a ticket.
1600VAM is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2013, 06:42 PM   #24
autrefois
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyhole
Seems like the system may have failed and made it seem like all of the tickets were sold out in two minutes. Apple is following up trying to sell off the unsold tickets without re-opening the sale to the public.

Just a theory.
So there is someone out there more cynical than me! Normally I'm the first to think such things, and it's not impossible, but my first reaction was that Apple may actually just be making a good gesture here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timborama View Post
I hear that during the keynote, Apple will be announcing revolutionary software on OS X and iOS that automatically filters out any comments related to "Steve would/would not do this". As soon as Tim announces it, there will be a standing ovation.
autrefois is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2013, 06:44 PM   #25
extensor
macrumors member

Trollville

Wow, I remember when I could come here and read witty, intelligent comments. Now there are so many trolls.
extensor is offline   15 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion