Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eithanius

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 19, 2005
I don't have an Apple TV, but since questions regarding Handbrake has no proper classification on which forum board I should post my question, I just post it here anyway.

I've been converting my DVDs into something that is readily accessible on my external portable hard drive. So far I'm pretty content with the video quality that Handbrake churns out, with the exception of one issue pertaining audio gap.

It would seem something is preventing HB from encoding audio properly that result in audio gap at certain scenes on the final output. And when I check the source at the exact moment with the audio gap occurs, audio sounds fine, but there was a momentary video frame skipping issue. It occurs when one scene transitions to the next that the skipped frames occurred. After the encoding on the final output, the scene transition on the video looks fine, but it produces an audio gap.

I've tried different Audio codecs, so far AC3 passthru results in the longest audio gap, somewhere around half a second, while AAC (CoreAudio) has a shorter gap of maybe 0.20 seconds. And no, I have not seen any indication of audio going out of sync with video.

Anyone has any ideas what can be done to fix that...?

I'm ripping and encoding from a DVD of a TV-series that has around 8 chapters per episode, and when I encode just a single chapter from the same source, the audio gap is non-existent.

Eithanius

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 19, 2005
Found this on HB Activity Window:

"sync: adding 114 ms of silence to audio"

Is there a way to prevent this...?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.