Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Apr 26, 2013, 06:10 AM   #1
majkom
macrumors 6502a

Excel alternative

Hi, I have been using MS Office 2011 on my mac for a while.. later I have realised, that I am able to replace powerpoint and word by Keynote and Pages (actually, they are both much better than MS alternatives), but Numbers are simply not good enough (I mean, I do not do anything complicated within MS excel, but Numbers do not know conditional formatting, have very strange work with filters), so, is there any good standalone app for spreadsheets? Ideally, downloadable via Mac App store (but this is just conditional, I can live with app not offered via mac app store). It can be paid, or free, that does not matter..

thx for any help/tips
majkom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2013, 06:13 AM   #2
maflynn

Since you don't want Apple's Numbers app try LibreOffice the open source office suite
Old Apr 26, 2013, 06:24 AM   #3
majkom
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by maflynn View Post
Since you don't want Apple's Numbers app try LibreOffice the open source office suite
thx, and something less robust?
Old Apr 26, 2013, 06:39 AM   #4
ohbrilliance
macrumors 6502a

I'll second LibreOffice. I find it easier to use than MS Office. It's more functional without trying to be showy.
ohbrilliance is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2013, 06:41 AM   #5
balamw

Quote:
Originally Posted by majkom View Post
thx, and something less robust?
What do you mean by robust here?

B
Old Apr 26, 2013, 06:48 AM   #6
majkom
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by balamw View Post
What do you mean by robust here?

B
well, i was hoping for single app, I dont like idea installing whole package, while I use Pages and Keynote... hard to explain, I was hoping for sthing that would replace excel like Pixelmator replaced adobe package for me...
Old Apr 26, 2013, 06:48 AM   #7
MacDawg
macrumors P6

You can try Mariner Calc
MacDawg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2013, 06:53 AM   #8
hatzinik
macrumors newbie

Quote:
but Numbers do not know conditional formatting, have very strange work with filters)
thx for any help/tips
Actually, Numbers can do conditional formatting. Just open the inspector window and then choose the cells inspector. Under the label: Conditional Format, press show rules.
hatzinik is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2013, 07:02 AM   #9
balamw

I also wonder given your statement about filters whether this is one of the many cases where a spreadsheet may be being used as a database, and a database may be a better tool.

B
Old Apr 26, 2013, 12:30 PM   #10
Gregg2
macrumors 601

Yeah, I'm thinking that this is not a software issue. Maybe sign up for some classes on Numbers at an Apple Store?
Gregg2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2013, 12:32 PM   #11
dukebound85
macrumors P6

why not just keep Excel?
dukebound85 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2013, 05:15 PM   #12
majkom
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg2 View Post
Yeah, I'm thinking that this is not a software issue. Maybe sign up for some classes on Numbers at an Apple Store?
Nope, its the way Numbers work, not sufficient for my needs, thats all (next thing is that Numbers are even more laggy than Excel)

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukebound85 View Post
why not just keep Excel?
laggy... and dont like the idea that for few things I need I have to install ms garbage.. but still it looks that there is no better solution for me
Old Apr 27, 2013, 08:10 AM   #13
Zauberer
macrumors member

Google Docs probably suits your needs.
Zauberer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2013, 04:32 PM   #14
Gregg2
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatzinik View Post
Actually, Numbers can do conditional formatting. Just open the inspector window and then choose the cells inspector. Under the label: Conditional Format, press show rules.
Quote:
Originally Posted by balamw View Post
I also wonder given your statement about filters whether this is one of the many cases where a spreadsheet may be being used as a database, and a database may be a better tool.
These two posts addressed two of your specific complaints. Numbers can do conditional formatting! And, what do you mean about filters?

By the way, you must speak British, eh? Numbers have, Numbers are, etc. In American, those would be Numbers has, Numbers is since Numbers is a name, not the plural of number.
Old May 1, 2013, 11:22 AM   #15
majkom
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg2 View Post
These two posts addressed two of your specific complaints. Numbers can do conditional formatting! And, what do you mean about filters?

By the way, you must speak British, eh? Numbers have, Numbers are, etc. In American, those would be Numbers has, Numbers is since Numbers is a name, not the plural of number.
Hi, sorry but english is not my first tongue - so yes, you are right, I should have used singular as it is a name

As to Numbers - I had like 30 minutes to test it (as Apple is not offering trial versions within app store), after that I wrote to support that I want my money back - by filters I mean this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swCCb73FhJQ (start at 4.30 to 5.30) - combining several filters, not just one as on video
Old May 1, 2013, 11:29 AM   #16
mic j
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Hi, sorry but english is not my first tongue - so yes, you are right, I should have used singular as it is a name

As to Numbers - I had like 30 minutes to test it (as Apple is not offering trial versions within app store), after that I wrote to support that I want my money back - by filters I mean this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swCCb73FhJQ (start at 4.30 to 5.30) - combining several filters, not just one as on video
Filters and the ability to make the cell contents act as a hyperlink are the only reasons I stick with Excel. Numbers might have hyperlink capability, I don't know. My understanding is that MS has the filters thing patented and that is the reason no other spreadsheet app has that capability.

I have tried the Bento database app but it's cumbersome to use for my simple needs and it does not have the ability to make cell contents a hyperlink (so when you click on it, a linked pdf is opened).
Old May 1, 2013, 12:23 PM   #17
Gregg2
macrumors 601

Quote:
Well, not so fast! I believe that our British friends would say it the way you wrote it, and possibly look down on Americans who have "corrupted the Mother tongue". Though English is not your first language, you are very fluent! I only know a few words of foreign languages, and can't make a coherent sentence!

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store