Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

r6mile

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 3, 2010
London, UK
Hi,

I've recently come into posession of a faulty Powermac G5 1.6, everything appears stock except the RAM, which has been upgraded to 768 MB.

The computer does power on, but no video out and no chime. I have plugged in a keyboard and tried ejecting disc, but nothing happens.
I have reset the PMU, and the only change is that the fans spin faster and the computer makes more noise. The red light inside the Powermac is on.

Does anybody know what could be the issue? I suspect it's either the graphics or the logic board - I sincerely hope it's the former - but I'm new to G5s.

Thanks,

Jethryn Freyman

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2007
Australia
Sorry but I'm going to be putting my money of the logic board option here. Have you noticed anything on the logic board itself? Tried connecting a mouse and holding down the button the force-eject a CD instead of using the keyboard? Tried resetting the PRAM (hold Command + Option + P + R) when booting? Tried holing down COmmand + S when booting to get inside Single User mode?

See if any other that does anything.

Good luck?

Mac Hammer Fan

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2004
I am afraid that if the keyboard doesn't work (he can't eject a disk), that it's impossible to reset the PRAM or Open Firmware.
I had a similar experience with a G5 Dual 1.8. I bought a cheap G5 DC 2.3 instead.

r6mile

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 3, 2010
London, UK
I am call it and say that the logic board is dead. Oh well, I'll try to scavenge what I can. I've already taken the SuperDrive and put it in a MDD 1.25, and will take the RAM too, as well as the PCI Wifi card it came with.

The Hard Drive is SATA, meaning it will only work on G5s though. And the FX 5200 Ultra is AGP Pro, so G5 only too. I'll just keep those for parts just in case.

(I have another G5 2.7 DP with a faulty logic board - 4GB of RAM, 9650XT graphics, DL superdrive)

Is there anything else I can scavenge?

ihuman:D

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2012
Ireland
I am call it and say that the logic board is dead. Oh well, I'll try to scavenge what I can. I've already taken the SuperDrive and put it in a MDD 1.25, and will take the RAM too, as well as the PCI Wifi card it came with.

The Hard Drive is SATA, meaning it will only work on G5s though. And the FX 5200 Ultra is AGP Pro, so G5 only too. I'll just keep those for parts just in case.

(I have another G5 2.7 DP with a faulty logic board - 4GB of RAM, 9650XT graphics, DL superdrive)

Is there anything else I can scavenge?

You could also use the HDD in your MDD with a SATA PCI adapter.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.