Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac Pro

Old Apr 26, 2013, 10:47 AM   #1
resonate
macrumors newbie

Mac pro 2009 fan noise when running video encoding

Hello. Just wanted to ask if this is normal behaviour.
I changed my trusty 2008 MP to an early octo 2009 2 x 2.26 model to put inside more memory. I have 64GB now, and pretty happy except for the noise i get when cpu is encoding video or otherwise on load. See the picture. Is this normal or should i get some help? I thought Mac pro should be pretty quiet under cpu load because it's not a laptop. I never experienced that kind of fan speeds on my 2008 model. Any thoughts?

EDIT: Added a version with Fahrenheit temperatures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Zrzut ekranu 2013-04-26 (godz. 17.42.57).png
Views:	73
Size:	123.2 KB
ID:	409715   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zrzut ekranu 2013-04-26 (godz. 23.24.24).png
Views:	18
Size:	124.8 KB
ID:	409774  

Last edited by resonate; Apr 26, 2013 at 04:26 PM.
resonate is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2013, 01:05 PM   #2
wonderspark
macrumors 68030

I'd say it's normal for the fans to max out while using all cores like that.

I have an app called Fan Control, using Snow Leopard (still), which has improved the way my fans run under load, but before using that, my fans would all go to maximum speed like that. I should also add that I've changed my CPU, and when I did, I feel I did a better job with the application of thermal paste than Apple did, and my temps dropped some afterward, too.

With Fan Control, the fans ramp up quicker, and never go as high as they did before, which I think is due to better management of fan speed vs. temps, even before swapping the CPU.
Old Apr 26, 2013, 02:30 PM   #3
GP-SE
macrumors regular

doesn't seem normal considering the CPU is only around 48*c
SMC reset and PRAM reset, also make sure no third party fan controller\SMC stuff is installed that could be messing with the fans.
GP-SE is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2013, 02:46 PM   #4
wonderspark
macrumors 68030

Celsius temps throw me off, but at that load, my CPU would be about 50C, maybe 55C, so maybe it's not so odd? It's been a really long time since I've used Apple's standard fan control, and I recall them working much harder than they needed to, resulting in cooler temps but at the cost of tremendous noise. I also recall the ramp-up in fan speed seemed incredibly slow, as compared to how Fan Control spins them up immediately.

I have mine set now, such that they run at a very low speed until the temp goes over 40C, at which point they rapidly spool up. That way, it's very quiet under normal use, and my peak temps peak at just under 55C. Before, the temps peaked somewhere around 65C until the fans finally went full hurricane to bring them back down. It was more undulating. With Fan Control, it's smooth... goes up, levels off, then drops when finished, like a smooth hillside.

If PRAM and SMC reset help, that will be nice... I just don't expect it to change the behaviour.
Old Apr 26, 2013, 04:30 PM   #5
resonate
macrumors newbie

Added a version with Fahrenheit temperatures in the original post.

Thanks guys for your replies. I tried resetting SMC (5/15 second trick) don't have any idea if resetting PRAM is possible on Mac Pro (or even not sure it exists in a MP)
About fan control: is it this one? http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1340705

Wonderspark, could you elaborate more or maybe post a scrennshot of your fan control settings? I tried one once, but all i could influence was the intake/exhaust fans. And their speed seemed to be tied to the BOOST A/B fans.

What do you think of the memory temperatures? I currently use 8 GIG RDIMM memory modules, and was thinking that maybe i could keep the temperature lower (eg, computer more silent) if i changed to regular 8GB DDR3 NON-ECC memory. Do they heat up as much?

Thanks again.
Old Apr 26, 2013, 04:49 PM   #6
wonderspark
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by resonate View Post
Added a version with Fahrenheit temperatures in the original post.

Thanks guys for your replies. I tried resetting SMC (5/15 second trick) don't have any idea if resetting PRAM is possible on Mac Pro (or even not sure it exists in a MP)
About fan control: is it this one? http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1340705

Wonderspark, could you elaborate more or maybe post a scrennshot of your fan control settings? I tried one once, but all i could influence was the intake/exhaust fans. And their speed seemed to be tied to the BOOST A/B fans.

What do you think of the memory temperatures? I currently use 8 GIG RDIMM memory modules, and was thinking that maybe i could keep the temperature lower (eg, computer more silent) if i changed to regular 8GB DDR3 NON-ECC memory. Do they heat up as much?

Thanks again.
That's it.
I think RAM temps look fine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2013-04-26 at 3.45.21 PM.png
Views:	15
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	409775   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2013-04-26 at 3.46.37 PM.png
Views:	12
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	409776  
Old Apr 26, 2013, 05:41 PM   #7
resonate
macrumors newbie

thank you Wonderspark! Thats V2 beta right? which build?
Old Apr 26, 2013, 07:44 PM   #8
wonderspark
macrumors 68030

I honestly don't know what 'build' it is.
Old Apr 26, 2013, 07:46 PM   #9
XboxMySocks
macrumors 68000

Disregard what is being said. The cores are only at 48 because your fans are hauling ass. Totally normal for them to be loud - this means they're working
XboxMySocks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2013, 07:48 PM   #10
resonate
macrumors newbie

I am using V2b5 now, and it helps a little. Need to test some more
Old Apr 26, 2013, 10:43 PM   #11
wonderspark
macrumors 68030

Not sure if I'm running v2b5... I'm running this one:
Fan Control:
Version: 1.2