Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Apr 26, 2013, 12:34 PM   #1
Amplelink
macrumors 6502

I find myself using iPhone as main Internet device at home

Do you guys find this happening to you? In my household, we have multiple tablets and multiple computers. But yet, I find myself using my iPhone the most even when at home. It's almost like it takes extra effort to use those other devices when my iPhone is always nearby.

Not entirely sure how to feel about this - I can't be the only one out there.
Amplelink is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2013, 12:35 PM   #2
maflynn

That's what my wife does, but personally I prefer my laptop.
Old Apr 26, 2013, 12:38 PM   #3
Interstella5555
macrumors 603

I find this a little crazy myself, the phone is fine for quick browsing/looking up something specific, but actually using the internet? Laptop hands down. It's like choosing between watching something on my laptop of my TV, sure, my laptop will do in a pinch, but if I'm at home, 99% of the time I'd rather use the extra 27" of screen that the TV gives me.
Interstella5555 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2013, 12:40 PM   #4
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amplelink View Post
Do you guys find this happening to you? In my household, we have multiple tablets and multiple computers. But yet, I find myself using my iPhone the most even when at home. It's almost like it takes extra effort to use those other devices when my iPhone is always nearby.

Not entirely sure how to feel about this - I can't be the only one out there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maflynn View Post
That's what my wife does, but personally I prefer my laptop.
Yup, you and Maflynn's wife...that's it.

The rest of us use tablets or computers.

You're pretty much out there by yourself.

It's not strange or anything...

Really...

It's OK...

Old Apr 26, 2013, 12:40 PM   #5
SMDBill
macrumors regular

Not for me. Web browsing can be done on the iPhone, but not as comfortably or quickly as a laptop. I find my phone highly functional when I need it but less than desirable when I have other better options at my side.
SMDBill is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2013, 12:41 PM   #6
MVRL
macrumors regular

27" IPS LED screen, a roccat kone+ on icemat, and a Filco mech board
MVRL is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2013, 12:41 PM   #7
Amplelink
macrumors 6502

I sort or misstated the title of the thread. The iPhone is not my primary Internet device at home - in other words, I could never rely solely on it. But I just find myself using it a heck of a lot at home. Much more than I initially expected given that its just a phone.
Amplelink is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2013, 12:43 PM   #8
tgi
macrumors 6502a

I'm the same way. I have no issue browsing the internet on my iPhone, even for an extended period. I've even typed a 500 word essay on the notepad before. Sometimes it's just more convenient to use it.
tgi is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2013, 12:48 PM   #9
abz1981
macrumors 6502a

At home in my room I am using my MBA when I am in bed for the internet. When I put my MBA away, when I am still in bed, I will get my iphone out for more internet usage, for example checking facebook etc. When I am downstairs watching the tv, I will 95% of my time will be on the internet on my iPhone. Thats how I use it at home.
Old Apr 26, 2013, 01:05 PM   #10
Mrbobb
macrumors 601

I do! but it's so illogical.

Sometimes I'd been seating with my laptop open and certain tasks compell me to immediately reach for the phone, then I pause and go, WTF, why, I can do this on the laptop!
Mrbobb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2013, 04:52 PM   #11
Stuntman06
macrumors 6502a

It depends on what I need to do. If I do something that requires a lot of typing, I will pull out my PC or tablet (with keyboard dock). If I plan to just read mostly, I use my phone. For checking what's on TV, I have my TV Listings web site bookmarked and it is faster to check the programming on my phone than to fire up my PC.
Old Apr 26, 2013, 05:29 PM   #12
TG1
macrumors 6502

It's all about the iPad whenever I'm at home. iPhone is just for calls or texts.
TG1 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2013, 09:42 PM   #13
raggdoll
macrumors member

It's all about screen size when I'm home. You like looking at a tiny 4" screen Why man
Old Apr 26, 2013, 11:39 PM   #14
lordofthereef
macrumors 603

I think people are missing what the op is saying.

I'm sure if he is going to sit down a research something, the computer is still the better option. But let's be honest, most of us, on our free time at home, are on the couch. Now what is more convenient? Getting up and going to the pc, or pulling the phone outbid your pocket? It would have to be the latter for me. I don't have a laptop sitting around, so that's out. We do have an iPad, but my wife is usually playing some game like bejeweled (totally worth the money we spent in that device...)
Old Apr 27, 2013, 10:54 AM   #15
Amplelink
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofthereef View Post
I think people are missing what the op is saying.

I'm sure if he is going to sit down a research something, the computer is still the better option. But let's be honest, most of us, on our free time at home, are on the couch. Now what is more convenient? Getting up and going to the pc, or pulling the phone outbid your pocket? It would have to be the latter for me. I don't have a laptop sitting around, so that's out. We do have an iPad, but my wife is usually playing some game like bejeweled (totally worth the money we spent in that device...)
Yep, that's exactly it. I'm typing on my laptop now, but only because I was doing some work and got temporarily sidetracked. If I'm sitting on the couch or lying in bed, the first thing I reach for is my iPhone because it's just always there. I could get my iPad, but that would take a little extra effort. Why bother if the iPhone can do everything my iPad can. It's ALMOST making my iPad redundant, except that the bigger screen of the iPad is much better for extended reading sessions and watching videos.
Amplelink is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2013, 10:58 AM   #16
Teste
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amplelink View Post
If I'm sitting on the couch or lying in bed, the first thing I reach for is my iPhone because it's just always there. I could get my iPad, but that would take a little extra effort. Why bother if the iPhone can do everything my iPad can.
It's the other way around for me - I use my iPad for internet considerably more than my iPhone, which has almost been made redundant in my home if not for the actual phone role. The difference in screen size, plus the way the iPad usually reads pages in the standard way (as opposed to reduced mobile sites), makes it the obvious choice for me.

Which iPhone do you use, out of curiosity?
Teste is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2013, 11:08 AM   #17
toille4
macrumors member

I use my ipad when I'm at home. I prefer the larger screen.
toille4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2013, 11:08 AM   #18
Throw Out
macrumors member

Lately I have not been using my iPhone as much as I did in the past.
Weird,
Throw Out is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2013, 11:39 AM   #19
ET iPhone Home
macrumors 65816

I run to my MBA, always, when at home. It's far more convenient to read and type.
Old Apr 27, 2013, 11:43 AM   #20
Apple fanboy
macrumors 68040

I can never get near either of the 2 iPads in my household. So for me I probably use the iMac most and then the iPhone, but I understand where the OP is coming from. If I'm downstairs watching the TV and an advert comes on I always reach for the phone to either play a game or get a quick fix of MR!
Old Apr 27, 2013, 11:44 AM   #21
Jamesesesesess
macrumors 6502a

I don't have any problems using it for browsing the web when I'm not at home, but it would drive me a bit nuts always working on that small screen 100% of the time. Plus the screen on my RMBP is too beautiful not to use...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interstella5555 View Post
I find this a little crazy myself, the phone is fine for quick browsing/looking up something specific, but actually using the internet? Laptop hands down. It's like choosing between watching something on my laptop of my TV, sure, my laptop will do in a pinch, but if I'm at home, 99% of the time I'd rather use the extra 27" of screen that the TV gives me.
Really? I definitely prefer using my RMBP to watch movies and TV shows. Paired with my Denon headphones, I find it a much more immersive experience than watching something on a TV. Maybe that's just because I don't have a surround sound system. It just seems like I can get more into the story having the screen right in my face.
Jamesesesesess is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2013, 12:53 PM   #22
nicholasss
macrumors regular

Send a message via Yahoo to nicholasss Send a message via Skype™ to nicholasss
iPhone all day. My tablet/laptop have been collecting dust.

-Sent from my iPhone
nicholasss is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2013, 02:41 PM   #23
decafjava
macrumors 6502a

More for consultation, when I am out and about I definitely get my news fix as well as email etc. from my phone. At home though the only thing I generally do is use my weather app (WeatherPro) or remote if I'm streaming music or ... phone calls.

Though when I watch TV shows or movies checking wiki or IMDB can be fun too.

Last edited by decafjava; Apr 27, 2013 at 03:07 PM. Reason: spelling
decafjava is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2013, 02:48 PM   #24
barkomatic
macrumors 68030

Did you just get it recently? I'm thinking new toy syndrome.
barkomatic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2013, 02:54 PM   #25
nicholasss
macrumors regular

Send a message via Yahoo to nicholasss Send a message via Skype™ to nicholasss
Quote:
Originally Posted by barkomatic View Post
Did you just get it recently? I'm thinking new toy syndrome.
New toy syndrome...lol
nicholasss is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone