Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fabian9

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 28, 2007
Bristol, UK
Hi Guys,

We just received our brand spanking new iMac running 10.8.3, and I've been spending all afternoon trying to create two user profiles from two separate TimeMachine backups.

Here is what I'm trying to do:
- Restore my TimeMachine backup as one user profile (completed successfully using Migration Assistant)
- In my profile, using Migration Assistant again to create a second user from my girlfriend's TimeMachine backup (The data is transferred successfully, but somehow no new user is created and I can't access the data that was transferred due to permissions)

Does anybody have any experience with this? Am I doing something wrong?

Last edited:

fabian9

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 28, 2007
Bristol, UK
Right - I've worked it out, for future reference here is what I did:

- Created a temporary admin account
- Restored second TimeMachine backup in the new temporary user account, this created a new home folder with all the data
- Logged into main admin account
- Removed temp admin account
- Used the following terminal command to change ownership of the restored data to main admin account (as root user):
chown -R [adminusername] /user/[restoredhomefolder]

- Renamed restored home folder to a temporary name
- Used Users & Groups to create the desired user, this created a new home folder under the desired name
- Renamed new user name to a different name
- Renamed restored home folder from temporary name to desired user name
- Used the following terminal command to change ownership of the restored data to the desired user account (as root user):
chown -R [desiredusername] /user/[restoredhomefolder]

I'm sure some steps could have been left out (like creating a temporary admin account in the beginning), but this works.

Cheers,

Fabian

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.