Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Apr 26, 2013, 02:46 PM   #1
Sydde
macrumors 68000

Surviving Utopia (Planitia)

Mars One strikes me as a pretty disturbing concept. Like the author of the linked editorial, I like the idea of manned exploration of space but am not quite sure we are ready for this.

To summarize, Mars One plans to shoot stuff to Mars to set up for their ultimate goal of sending four explorers to the red planet, to land in April of '23. These four will be Martians, they are not expected to return to Earth, which I find a little creepy: imagine spending the rest of your life with 3 other humans, and nowhere to go off to if they piss you off, unless more immigrants can be sent.

Mars One is a non-profit company that expects their project to cost $6 billion.us, about which I have my doubts (W*Mart spacecraft?). So how to raise this money? TV rights: a sort of reality-TV program, [insert imaginative and clever title here].

No tax money would be being spent on this, so they have done a nice job of eliminating that complaint. Still, I feel this is too impetuous, the thought of its inevitable demise is more than a little squicky.
Old Apr 26, 2013, 02:58 PM   #2
lannister80
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydde View Post
imagine spending the rest of your life with 3 other humans, and nowhere to go off to if they piss you off, unless more immigrants can be sent.
Nothing that hasn't been done before. Colonists were once dropped off on all kinds of remote shores, supply ship then left, and *hopefully* came back some day. If not....well, sorry guys!

Humans need to take more exploration risks.
Old Apr 26, 2013, 03:55 PM   #3
APlotdevice
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannister80 View Post
Nothing that hasn't been done before. Colonists were once dropped off on all kinds of remote shores, supply ship then left, and *hopefully* came back some day. If not....well, sorry guys!

Humans need to take more exploration risks.
Yeah, but the difference is that colonists planted in a remote part of the world didn't have to worry about running out of oxygen or being exposed to a lethal dose of radiation.
Old Apr 26, 2013, 07:08 PM   #4
ravenvii
macrumors 604

I think this is amazing, actually.

Though I agree that 4 people is *far* too few. There should be 12 or so, at least.

Yes, unlike the remote shore example, on Mars you're in an environment that wants you dead.

But we have to start spreading to other planets eventually. Our governments is too shortsighted to spend money on our future, so let's see if capitalism can do it.
Old Apr 26, 2013, 07:47 PM   #5
afireintonto
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to afireintonto
I'm pretty sure they plan on sending 4 more people every two years.
So the Martian population will grow.
And the colonists are expected to reproduce.

I wish I could go. Why die here on earth like everyone else?
afireintonto is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2013, 08:26 PM   #6
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

Who owns Mars?

The first corporation there?

That doesn't seem fair or wise.
citizenzen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2013, 08:43 PM   #7
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenzen View Post
Who owns Mars?

Actually, I own Mars. I put in a claim many years ago, and no one challenged it...so it's mine.

I am in contact with my attorney regarding rent.

You are on noitce!!
Old Apr 26, 2013, 10:13 PM   #8
pdjudd
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Who owns Mars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrink View Post
Actually, I own Mars. I put in a claim many years ago, and no one challenged it...so it's mine.
Actually, according to the Space Treaty (I think), nobody can claim recognized ownership of Space or any of the Heavenly bodies. They are essentially owned by all for open access. You can claim all you want I suppose, but nobody of any actual importance will recognize your claim - which is important for ownership.
pdjudd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2013, 10:15 AM   #9
MuddyPaws1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenvii View Post
Yes, unlike the remote shore example, on Mars you're in an environment that wants you dead.
I would imagine that the people that were on the ships for thousands of miles headed to a "possibility" of land would say that the ocean wanted them dead. The people that explored the polar caps would say that the weather wanted them dead. The people that first climbed Mt. Everest would also say that the mountain wanted them dead. Pretty sure the ocean wanted Don Walsh and Jacques Piccard dead too but they still did it. Lots of things want you dead....bears, tigers, snakes, bugs...just because you can breath doesn't mean a whole lot.

Think of how safe it would be. No dangerous animals or local people to deal with.

Exploration has danger but every day we turn more and more into a nanny state and try to keep people out of danger.
MuddyPaws1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2013, 10:57 AM   #10
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddyPaws1 View Post
Exploration has danger but every day we turn more and more into a nanny state and try to keep people out of danger.
Yet extreme sports are all the rage.

Is your perceived nanny state falling down on the job?
citizenzen is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2013, 11:14 AM   #11
Bug-Creator
macrumors regular

Quote:
But we have to start spreading to other planets eventually. Our governments is too shortsighted to spend money on our future, so let's see if capitalism can do it.
"Our future" ??? I think you saw to many crappy SiFi-movies....

Mars or any other object in the solar system won't help solving any problem we have and might encounter on earth. Going there for exploration might actually advance science, but building a constant colony is 100% pointless.

@MuddyPaws1

Quote:
The people that explored the polar caps ....
The people that first climbed Mt. Everest .....
Well alot of them actually died doing that proving Mr Darwin right I'd say There is no good reason going there just like there is no good reason to go to Mars.

Settlers who 1st went to America or Australia did have the option to live cavemen style, something not possible on Mars.
The resources needed to build a really self-substaning colony there are mindstaggering (and would still be only good for very few people with no return of investment possible for earth).
Bug-Creator is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2013, 01:43 PM   #12
ravenvii
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug-Creator View Post
"Our future" ??? I think you saw to many crappy SiFi-movies....

Mars or any other object in the solar system won't help solving any problem we have and might encounter on earth. Going there for exploration might actually advance science, but building a constant colony is 100% pointless.

@MuddyPaws1

Well alot of them actually died doing that proving Mr Darwin right I'd say There is no good reason going there just like there is no good reason to go to Mars.

Settlers who 1st went to America or Australia did have the option to live cavemen style, something not possible on Mars.
The resources needed to build a really self-substaning colony there are mindstaggering (and would still be only good for very few people with no return of investment possible for earth).
No return of investment possible?

How about natural resources? Minerals? Water (if it is indeed water that NASA might have discovered on Mars)?

Yes, our future. Why wait until we start running out of resources here before expanding out? Sucking Mars dry of resources wouldn't be near as dire as sucking Earth dry.
Old Apr 28, 2013, 01:52 PM   #13
Bug-Creator
macrumors regular

Quote:
Minerals? Water
Water ????

You could probraly de-salt all water in the caspian sea with the same amount of energy/resources needed to get 1l of water from Mars to Earth (and things won't look any better for ANY mineral/metal that might be found there).

For the same reason is there no point to "solve" overpopulation by sending a few 1000 (at best) people there and/or setting up farms up there.

Heck, even if we had a Cpt. Picard style Enterprise at hand it would probraly still economic unsound....
Bug-Creator is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2013, 02:44 PM   #14
Arran
macrumors 65816

Quote:
That's as may be. But "do you have a flag?"

Old Apr 28, 2013, 02:51 PM   #15
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arran View Post
That's as may be. But "do you have a flag?"

YouTube: video
Of course!!

What, you think I'm some phony baloney guy making a silly claim!?

See the flag...and be warned!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Flag.png
Views:	7
Size:	119.7 KB
ID:	409997  

Last edited by Shrink; Apr 28, 2013 at 02:59 PM.
Shrink is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2013, 03:06 PM   #16
Sydde
macrumors 68000

Quote:
No return of investment possible?

How about natural resources? Minerals? Water (if it is indeed water that NASA might have discovered on Mars)?

Yes, our future. Why wait until we start running out of resources here before expanding out? Sucking Mars dry of resources wouldn't be near as dire as sucking Earth dry.
In the foreseeable future, mining Mars for resources is more than a little unrealistic. The mere cost of putting one Kg of anything into space right now is $20K.us, and while it could come down a little, it is not ultimately one of those economy-of-scale things.

As it stands, with the nature of orbital mechanics, it takes more energy to get a thing inward vs outward in the solar system, so getting stuff from Mars to Earth is even more costly. Even pure U-235, assuming you could ship it in pure form, which is not possible, would not be valuable enough to pay for itself. Adamantium, Unobtanium or Arakeen Melánge could, maybe, break even.

So, to get a fair RoI, you would have to establish a space-faring society and interplanetary trade, which is more than a century off, if not more. And how an interplanetary economy would work, well, much smarter people than I get headaches trying to imagine it in realistic terms.

As far as water goes, if we had people living on Mars, I imagine they would want to hang on to every drop they had. The piece linked in the OP indicates that Mars' most valuable export will be Reality TV – yeah, we need more of that
Old Apr 29, 2013, 07:42 AM   #17
Zombie Acorn
macrumors 65816

If they can find some constant source of water I'd say it might not be a death sentence. I don't know that I'd want to depend on the backing of a corporation to ensure my supplies come on time. What happens when its not profitable and they decide to cut the plug?
Zombie Acorn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2013, 11:51 AM   #18
Arran
macrumors 65816

Quote:
See the flag...and be warned!
Not a flag to be messed with!

----------

Quote:
No dangerous animals or local people to deal with.
Or government. I'm surprised folks aren't lining up to go.
Old May 2, 2013, 08:22 AM   #19
Huntn
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydde View Post
Mars One strikes me as a pretty disturbing concept. Like the author of the linked editorial, I like the idea of manned exploration of space but am not quite sure we are ready for this.

To summarize, Mars One plans to shoot stuff to Mars to set up for their ultimate goal of sending four explorers to the red planet, to land in April of '23. These four will be Martians, they are not expected to return to Earth, which I find a little creepy: imagine spending the rest of your life with 3 other humans, and nowhere to go off to if they piss you off, unless more immigrants can be sent.

Mars One is a non-profit company that expects their project to cost $6 billion.us, about which I have my doubts (W*Mart spacecraft?). So how to raise this money? TV rights: a sort of reality-TV program, [insert imaginative and clever title here].

No tax money would be being spent on this, so they have done a nice job of eliminating that complaint. Still, I feel this is too impetuous, the thought of its inevitable demise is more than a little squicky.
If you can find volunteers sure, but what kind of material commitment from Earth will they have? What kind of manufacturing capabilities will they have if any? Will they be in a position to get themselves to a stable self-sustained existence or will they be completely dependent on supplies from Earth? Good luck finding volunteers.

Quote:
Who owns Mars?

Can't the first person to step on Mars claim the planet? I need to check with an interstellar lawyer.
Huntn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2013, 09:54 AM   #20
localoid
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntn View Post
... Can't the first person to step on Mars claim the planet? I need to check with an interstellar lawyer.
Interestingly enough, they're called "space lawyers".
Old May 2, 2013, 04:37 PM   #21
hulugu
macrumors 68000

Quote:
I would imagine that the people that were on the ships for thousands of miles headed to a "possibility" of land would say that the ocean wanted them dead. The people that explored the polar caps would say that the weather wanted them dead. The people that first climbed Mt. Everest would also say that the mountain wanted them dead. Pretty sure the ocean wanted Don Walsh and Jacques Piccard dead too but they still did it. Lots of things want you dead....bears, tigers, snakes, bugs...just because you can breath doesn't mean a whole lot.

Think of how safe it would be. No dangerous animals or local people to deal with. ...
Mars has some heady dangers. If the life-support system craps out, you're vacuum-sealed freeze-drie vittles for the next set of colonists (ala Jamestown), however, it's a risk worth taking for the right people.

To push past the bonds of Earth, we have to take risks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Acorn View Post
If they can find some constant source of water I'd say it might not be a death sentence. I don't know that I'd want to depend on the backing of a corporation to ensure my supplies come on time. What happens when its not profitable and they decide to cut the plug?
Simple. Write into the contract a kind of squatters rights for the planet. If the company cuts you off, Mars is yours.
Old May 2, 2013, 06:36 PM   #22
aerok
macrumors 65816

We just have to somewhat compare it to the colonization of America minus the liveable environement, the help of natives, the fertile ground, abundance of animal meat, oh hell, they're screwed on Mars...
Old May 2, 2013, 09:55 PM   #23
MuddyPaws1
Banned

You guys are right. It's too hard. We should never try anything hard.
MuddyPaws1 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2013, 09:01 AM   #24
Huntn
macrumors 604

Quote:
You need to stay more focused on subject.
Huntn is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2013, 10:56 AM   #25
P-Worm
macrumors 68020

Quote:
You guys are right. It's too hard. We should never try anything hard.
For me, it's not simply because it's hard, it's that it seems incredibly expensive/dangerous for something that is fairly pointless. What is there to gain beside bragging rights? The Mars Rover right now is doing a pretty excellent job of exploring the planet as it is; why do we need to put billions of dollars and endanger lives for the sake of reality TV?

P-Worm
P-Worm is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues