Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Apr 26, 2013, 04:07 PM   #1
calaverasgrande
macrumors 65816

"new" iMacs

?

Last edited by calaverasgrande; Jan 13, 2014 at 02:37 PM.
calaverasgrande is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2013, 04:17 PM   #2
maflynn

I'm not annoyed per say but I do think they made sacrifices in the name of aesthetics that were not necessary. For instance, how many people really are concerned about having a thin desktop computer. You can make a case for laptops being thin, but that argument for desktops does not hold water.

My LED ACD, has all the ports in the back, and so I'm not rally bothered if the iMac has those as well.
Old Apr 26, 2013, 04:55 PM   #3
nizmoz
Banned

http://www.amazon.com/46cm-Card-Exte.../dp/B007W06ZXC

SDCard Slot extender is all you need.
nizmoz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2013, 05:19 PM   #4
62tele
macrumors regular

Here's a solution for you: Don't buy it!

I've had a 27" 2010 model for nearly three years with ports on the back. No big whoop. As for SD, why is it so important? It's amazing they even include them.

Really...
62tele is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2013, 05:39 PM   #5
cocky jeremy
macrumors 68030

Send a message via AIM to cocky jeremy Send a message via Skype™ to cocky jeremy
Definitely not a big deal. At all.
Old Apr 26, 2013, 07:16 PM   #6
tomwvr
macrumors regular

I love my brand new 27 inch Imac - it is the best machine I have ever had.

Tom
tomwvr is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2013, 07:30 PM   #7
ProjectMayhem
macrumors newbie

i just got my new iMac 27, coming from a mac pro 1,1. i have ZERO complaints. except maybe the price, but even then... I'm not too pissed about that either.

i like having easily accessible ports too, but i also feel like i take more pride in my workstation now that it looks so aesthetically pleasing. keep it cleaner, feel pressure to be more organized, etc.

in fact, i plan on mounting everything underneath my desk using that nifty pegboard mod. i'll probably add a card reader because I dont even use sd cards, i use cf 90% of the time.

the ONLY gripe i could possibly have, is it doesnt seem there is an easy way to use my BT keyboard and trackpad on multiple devices. i run my mac pro on monitors to the left and right of the imac and i dont like having two sets of input devices on my desk.
ProjectMayhem is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2013, 07:36 PM   #8
hfg
macrumors 68020

Just get a simple USB card reader and put it in front where it is easy to reach and see what you are doing. They are really inexpensive and probably better build than the internal one, plus if you damage the socket, just replace it.

Much better than on the side or back, plus you can get a dual format (CF and SD) or universal for all your needs.
hfg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2013, 07:48 PM   #9
Jesla
macrumors 6502

I was so annoyed that I ran out and bought one in November of '12. Absolutely wonderful machine, wouldn't change a thing. BTW it was my first Mac ever...
...was totally PC for over 20yrs, 14 devices later we're an all Apple family now.

PS:
Haven't a single problem with any of them. They just work as designed.
Jesla is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2013, 08:09 PM   #10
wessew
macrumors member

Interesting what we can get hung up over. Amazon has a Sandisk SD card reader for 8.95 (free shipping with Prime). With a hub you can place it anywhere you want. Our new iMac is performing flawlessly and we appreciate the design elements.
wessew is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2013, 08:48 PM   #11
Arfdog
macrumors 6502

I love a computer to be sprawled all over my desk and I love seeing the wires connecting between the components. In fact, I want the motherboard to be out in the open and actually be the size of an actual desk's top.

I also love trying to manage my own files between the SSD and HDD, having a plastic monitor with ok resolution, and still love using SD cards instead of wireless and sharing. Crank up the fan noise too, sweet
Arfdog is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2013, 08:49 PM   #12
toddzrx
macrumors regular

I'll agree with the OP: I bought a used 2010 iMac because the new design was a turn-off between the SD card slot relocation, no SSD-only options on the 21.5", and loss of optical drive (although I can understand Apple's desire to get rid of it). Yes, they offer the Fusion drive, but when it first came out it was not offered on the base model; you had to buy the more expensive model to get Fusion, which increased your purchase a significant amount.

So for about half the price of a brand new base model iMac, I have a much faster machine because of the SSD I put in it, an SD reader that's easily accessible, and a CD drive that's integrated (which I used to re-rip my entire CD collection to Apple loss-less quality in iTunes).

Sorry; Apple didn't need to make the new ones so thin. If I had to buy new right now, I'd be looking at a Mac Mini: much easier to modify if desired.
toddzrx is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2013, 09:01 PM   #13
bernuli
macrumors regular

I'm annoyed. They wasted so much time/resources and sacrificed too much in hardware for something that only looks thin.

If I were you, I would use a wired keyboard and use the 2 USB ports off that. Maybe get a external SD reader/writer

I however, no buy.

B
bernuli is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2013, 09:03 PM   #14
rocknblogger
macrumors 68000

Send a message via Skype™ to rocknblogger
The iMac was my dream desktop for about three years. I wanted one so badly that I saved up enough to buy a fully maxed out version. I waited patiently for the new models last year and when I saw what they introduced I was seriously disappointed. This was not the iMac I was dreaming of. I knew immediately I was never going to own one. I ended up upgrading my PC which I built myself about three years earlier and bought a rMBP.

It's a shame really. This is the first time that can think of that Apple decided to go with form over function.
Old Apr 26, 2013, 09:20 PM   #15
firedept
macrumors Demi-God

People, the iMac is not for everyone, as is the Macbook Pro not for everyone, as is the iPad not for everyone and so on. If you do not like it, do not buy it. I personally like it and have owned one since the aluminum design. I am also not one to be behind my computer constantly having to change USB's around. I figure out my USB solution in the beginning and leave it. I will agree that the SD card reader should be located else where or not even included. But even then an external card reader solves that.
firedept is online now   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2013, 10:18 PM   #16
toddzrx
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedept View Post
I will agree that the SD card reader should be located else where or not even included. But even then an external card reader solves that.
Then why bother including it in the design at all? Apple's appeal is to be sleek and minimal, but they purposely put a port in a place that is remedied by an external reader? More so than USB ports, SD slots NEED to be easily accessible; I can't think of a situation where a card gets plugged in and left there, whereas USB often does.

Sorry: dumb design on Apple's part.
toddzrx is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2013, 10:24 PM   #17
maxosx
macrumors 68020

Annoyed? Heck no!

My brother bought one, and is truly enjoying it. When I saw it, my first impression was very positive.

Oh sure, I don't really believe there's a good reason for it to be so thin, but it's Apples addiction, and no surprise. Sometimes I think they do it just to prove then can make anything waif like
maxosx is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2013, 10:36 PM   #18
DerekS
macrumors regular

I really like it. It also runs cooler, faster, and quieter than the 2011 model it replaced. The thin is just a bonus!
DerekS is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2013, 11:17 PM   #19
PorterRocks
macrumors 6502

My only gripe with the new iMac is having the headphone jack on the rear. I often have to use my headphones to not disturb my roommates and its just annoying to have to turn it each time I need to plug them in.

Thanks, Steve
PorterRocks is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2013, 11:26 PM   #20
thejadedmonkey
macrumors 604

Send a message via AIM to thejadedmonkey
When you consider that there's no reason, and no tradeoff that you have to make to put the ports on the side, it's a completely idiotic decision on Apple's part.

And I think this sort of form over function is definitely hurting them. Even the Apple rep I was talking to told me his 27" iMac from 2010 is better for him than a 2013 iMac would be.
experience comes from bad judgment."
- Mulla Nasrudin
thejadedmonkey is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2013, 11:28 PM   #21
calaverasgrande
macrumors 65816

</>

Last edited by calaverasgrande; Jan 13, 2014 at 02:38 PM. Reason: TGIF
calaverasgrande is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2013, 11:51 PM   #22
Nuke61
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejadedmonkey View Post
When you consider that there's no reason, and no tradeoff that you have to make to put the ports on the side, it's a completely idiotic decision on Apple's part.
I could see them putting ports on the bottom, but running them out to the side would cause issues with the cooling. One of the reasons it's so quiet is because of the large volume set aside for cooling. More volume --> slower fan speeds --> quieter computer.

I had a 2010 27" i7 iMac and now have a 2012 version and would do it over again in a heartbeat. It's faster, quieter, cooler, Thunderbolt/USB 3.0, and has a better display image. It's not perfect, but IMO, nobody makes a better All-In-One.
Nuke61 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2013, 11:54 PM   #23
flynz4
macrumors 68030

We have 4 27" iMacs in our house. 2009, 2010, 2011 and now the 2012.

The 2012 is the best by far.

I think the ODD was removed about 1-2 years prematurely... but we retire our machines on a yearly cadence. It will take 3 more years before our last iMac w/ the ODD will be retired... so quite frankly... it doesn't mater to us... we are covered for the 2-3 times a year we might possibly use an ODD. Even then, we have a external USB superdrive which we share across our 4 MBAs (same yearly vintage as the iMacs).

My 2012 iMac is positioned at a 45 angle when you walk by my office. We had a houseful of guests last weekend... and several times when friends walked past my office, they stopped and said "wow".

To think that Apple is not making a "statement" with the new "razor thin" iMac is naive.

I am an avid photographer, and use the SD reader extremely often. Any complaints that you must reach around the computer to insert an SD card is just plain silly. Surely a first world problem.

/Jim

Last edited by flynz4; Apr 27, 2013 at 12:03 AM.
flynz4 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2013, 08:19 AM   #24
thejadedmonkey
macrumors 604

Send a message via AIM to thejadedmonkey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuke61 View Post
I could see them putting ports on the bottom, but running them out to the side would cause issues with the cooling. One of the reasons it's so quiet is because of the large volume set aside for cooling. More volume --> slower fan speeds --> quieter computer.

I had a 2010 27" i7 iMac and now have a 2012 version and would do it over again in a heartbeat. It's faster, quieter, cooler, Thunderbolt/USB 3.0, and has a better display image. It's not perfect, but IMO, nobody makes a better All-In-One.
Again, the internal cooling is a design consideration that is made with regards to everything else. They could have made the edges 1/2 and inch thicker, kept the same max thickness, and had ports along the side.

I don't think people have a problem with inconvenient ports as much as they have a problem with inconvenient ports and the expense of the edge thickness of the screen. There's a very clear tradeoff going on, and it's not a good one.
experience comes from bad judgment."
- Mulla Nasrudin
thejadedmonkey is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2013, 09:11 AM   #25
Nuke61
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejadedmonkey View Post
I don't think people have a problem with inconvenient ports as much as they have a problem with inconvenient ports and the expense of the edge thickness of the screen. There's a very clear tradeoff going on, and it's not a good one.
I do photography/videography as a hobby and don't think the new location is inconvenient. It's quite a simple matter to insert an SD card while I'm sitting in front of my iMac. I actually much prefer the new location over the side, however I have a 21" monitor to the right my iMac. So IMO, it's not even a trade off, it's simply a good move irrespective of the thinner edge design.
Nuke61 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac