Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

parisdairy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 26, 2013
Hello Everyone,
I recently bought a MBP early 2011 with i5 from a local seller. two days later, there is system lock pin screen on the mac when i turn it on. I tried to remove the ram and reset the ram memory , didn't help. I also tried to remove the hard drive and use mac drive software on my window laptop to open the file. It asked me to format the drive and i tried to repair the disc in macdrive but nothing shown. I put the hdd back in the MBP, now when i turn it on there is a flashing folder with question mark. I pressed the option key before start up screen and it leads me to the screen with big lock
4368739975_5be85cb46f.jpg

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Hello Everyone,
I recently bought a MBP early 2011 with i5 from a local seller. two days later, there is system lock pin screen on the mac when i turn it on. I tried to remove the ram and reset the ram memory , didn't help. I also tried to remove the hard drive and use mac drive software on my window laptop to open the file. It asked me to format the drive and i tried to repair the disc in macdrive but nothing shown. I put the hdd back in the MBP, now when i turn it on there is a flashing folder with question mark. I pressed the option key before start up screen and it leads me to the screen with big lock

You probably bought a stolen laptop from that seller.
Someone activated iCloud's Remote Wipe.

iCloud: Erase your device remotely

shootist

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2011
Take the system back to where you bought it. It is either a stolen system, and locked + wiped by the original owner or it has a firmware password set on it.

Or you could use it as a thin shiny door stop.

could I format the hdd then install new os? or is there a way to solve it?

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
could I format the hdd then install new os? or is there a way to solve it?

No, that won't work, actually, if you reformat you make it even worse.

As the above poster says, bring it back if you can, if the seller does not accept this threaten to go to the police, it is almost sure to be a stolen one.

parisdairy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 26, 2013
there's no way i can find the seller. Can i just format the hard drive then flash the firmware?

shootist

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2011
there's no way i can find the seller. Can i just format the hard drive then flash the firmware?

If you can find the seller, which sounds very strange as you said you bought it from a local seller, then you have 3 options.

1) Take it to an Apple store and have them replace the logic board and drive

2) Use it as an expensive paper weight or door stop.

3) Somehow return it to the person it was stolen from. Like go to the police and turn it in then kiss your money goodbye.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.