Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Apr 27, 2013, 02:09 PM   #1
steve knight
macrumors 65816

GOP Lawmaker Endorses Bill To Legalize Discrimination

Well here we are Christians deserve to force their beliefs over anyone else's all in the name of religious freedom. But this goes much further all you need to do is hate a gay to kick them out of your business. This is a prime example of GOP religious freedom at it's best. The bad part is it is in Washington home of gay marriage.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3164812.html
Legislation proposed in Washington state this week would allow businesses to deny service to the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender population and others, based on religious differences.

Under the terms of the bill, businesses in the state could refuse service to anyone whose religious or philosophical beliefs differ from their own. They could not, however, refuse service based on areas protected under federal law, which does not include the LGBT community.

The legislation was sparked by a lawsuit filed in April by the American Civil Liberties Union against a florist in Richland, Wash., who, based on her religious beliefs, denied service to a gay couple who were getting married, The Associated Press reports.

State Sen. Sharon Brown (R-Kennewick), the lead sponsor of the bill, told The Associated Press that religion needs to be protected by the state government.

"There's a glaring lack of protection for religion in state law," Brown said.

The portion of the state's non-discrimination statute that Brown seeks to amend includes sexual orientation, but is limited to specific areas and does not include service in businesses. The areas protected include employment, hotel stays, the purchase of real estate and insurance, and the use of credit cards.

It is unclear if Brown's proposals would now allow hotels to deny rooms to LGBT individuals. Brown was not available for immediate comment.

In her legislation, Brown writes that many people come to the United States to escape religious discrimination and her bill is a way to preserve religious freedom.

But opponents of the legislation, including Equality Washington, noted that Brown's bill is seeking to create a new class of discrimination in the state instead.

Correction: An earlier version of this story incorrectly referred to Richland, Wash. as Richmond, Wash. An earlier version also misspelled Sharon Brown's first name.
Old Apr 27, 2013, 02:23 PM   #2
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve knight View Post
Well here we are Christians deserve to force their beliefs over anyone else's all in the name of religious freedom. But this goes much further all you need to do is hate a gay to kick them out of your business. This is a prime example of GOP religious freedom at it's best. The bad part is it is in Washington home of gay marriage.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3164812.html
Legislation proposed in Washington state this week would allow businesses to deny service to the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender population and others, based on religious differences.

Under the terms of the bill, businesses in the state could refuse service to anyone whose religious or philosophical beliefs differ from their own. They could not, however, refuse service based on areas protected under federal law, which does not include the LGBT community.

The legislation was sparked by a lawsuit filed in April by the American Civil Liberties Union against a florist in Richland, Wash., who, based on her religious beliefs, denied service to a gay couple who were getting married, The Associated Press reports.

State Sen. Sharon Brown (R-Kennewick), the lead sponsor of the bill, told The Associated Press that religion needs to be protected by the state government.

"There's a glaring lack of protection for religion in state law," Brown said.

The portion of the state's non-discrimination statute that Brown seeks to amend includes sexual orientation, but is limited to specific areas and does not include service in businesses. The areas protected include employment, hotel stays, the purchase of real estate and insurance, and the use of credit cards.

It is unclear if Brown's proposals would now allow hotels to deny rooms to LGBT individuals. Brown was not available for immediate comment.

In her legislation, Brown writes that many people come to the United States to escape religious discrimination and her bill is a way to preserve religious freedom.

But opponents of the legislation, including Equality Washington, noted that Brown's bill is seeking to create a new class of discrimination in the state instead.

Correction: An earlier version of this story incorrectly referred to Richland, Wash. as Richmond, Wash. An earlier version also misspelled Sharon Brown's first name.
While not yet commenting on the news story (too incredibly pissed off to post rationally yet), I will nit pick with you regarding the "home of gay marriage" statement. First, I am happy that any State legalizes gay marriage, so kudos to Washington for doing so.

But with undisguised pride, I would suggest the Massachusetts is the home of gay marriage, as it was the first State to to legalize gay marriage on May 17, 2004, while Washington did so on February 13, 2012.

Good on you, nonetheless!!
Old Apr 27, 2013, 02:35 PM   #3
Peace
macrumors P6

There's wackos in Eastern Washington. This bill will go nowhere in the Washington Legislature.

Much to do about nothing other than to point out every state has right wing extremist.
Peace is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2013, 03:52 PM   #4
haxrnick
macrumors 6502

Pretty sure if I run my own business and I don't want to serve you that is my choice. Who is pushing their values on who here?
haxrnick is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2013, 04:06 PM   #5
DesertEagle
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by haxrnick View Post
Pretty sure if I run my own business and I don't want to serve you that is my choice. Who is pushing their values on who here?
The Federal Civil Rights Act wouldn't be on your side in that, I'm afraid.
DesertEagle is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2013, 04:18 PM   #6
quagmire
macrumors 603

Quote:
So if you were denied service because your race, you would walk out going, " They have the right to deny me based on my race"?

Sorry no one should be denied service because of race, gender, sexual discrimination, etc.
Penn Station-New York
quagmire is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2013, 04:48 PM   #7
haxrnick
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by quagmire View Post
So if you were denied service because your race, you would walk out going, " They have the right to deny me based on my race"?

Sorry no one should be denied service because of race, gender, sexual discrimination, etc.
I would. If they don't want my money I would take it elsewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertEagle View Post
The Federal Civil Rights Act wouldn't be on your side in that, I'm afraid.
There are ways around that.
haxrnick is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2013, 05:14 PM   #8
Mac'nCheese
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Would you if you were driving through some small town with one gas station and you were flashing E? You would say, screw them I'll take my chances on getting to next the town? That's why we have these laws. Not for when you want to give someone your money but because of the times you have to.
Mac'nCheese is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2013, 05:33 PM   #9
quagmire
macrumors 603

Quote:
One issue: That's a good attitude TODAY to have since denying someone service due to race has become such a rare occurrence due to anti-discrimination laws.

That attitude would be wrong back in the 1950s and earlier where discrimination was common and most blacks would be denied service almost everywhere.
Penn Station-New York
quagmire is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2013, 07:48 PM   #10
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Looks like we need a federal law.

ERA anybody?
citizenzen is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2013, 09:58 PM   #11
MuddyPaws1
Banned

Being gay isn't a federally protected condition any more than being tall is.

I have refused to service people for a few reasons over the years. The last being because they were affiliated with an animal rights group.

Ohhhhh....the discrimination.
MuddyPaws1 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2013, 10:05 PM   #12
steve knight
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddyPaws1 View Post
Being gay isn't a federally protected condition any more than being tall is.

I have refused to service people for a few reasons over the years. The last being because they were affiliated with an animal rights group.

Ohhhhh....the discrimination.
so if some business owner thought you were gay (no proof required) told you to leave you would be happy?
Old Apr 27, 2013, 10:36 PM   #13
haxrnick
macrumors 6502

While I can't answer for MP1, I can say wtf cares what someone thinks I am or am not. If that's what that person thinks that is perfectly fine. I will go elsewhere with my money if it's not good enough there. Why must the left and society in general feel the need to scream and shout and demand that they get catered to if someone doesn't agree with their lifestyle or whatever it may be and at the same time attempt to demonize religion saying they're pushing it on them? The self-entitlement that people think they deserve is beyond me. We are turning into a sissy nation who are all about feelings. Shame on you, Dr. Spock.
haxrnick is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2013, 10:43 PM   #14
steve knight
macrumors 65816

Quote:
While I can't answer for MP1, I can say wtf cares what someone thinks I am or am not. If that's what that person thinks that is perfectly fine. I will go elsewhere with my money if it's not good enough there. Why must the left and society in general feel the need to scream and shout and demand that they get catered to if someone doesn't agree with their lifestyle or whatever it may be and at the same time attempt to demonize religion saying they're pushing it on them? The self-entitlement that people think they deserve is beyond me. We are turning into a sissy nation who are all about feelings. Shame on you, Dr. Spock.

Sounds good if you are white and the Norm Sucks a little more if you are say black? So you don't mind say driving 50 miles to go to that other store if there is one and paying more? so you can give up your freedom for the greater christian good.
Old Apr 27, 2013, 10:43 PM   #15
quagmire
macrumors 603

Quote:
Because being discriminated against due to race, gender, sexual orientation, etc is WRONG. I'm sorry, but it is and it shouldn't be encouraged. Being white, black, chinese, female, male, straight, and gay isn't something you chose, but born with. To be discriminated against over something you have no control over is wrong.
Penn Station-New York
quagmire is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2013, 10:46 PM   #16
haxrnick
macrumors 6502

Good old race card.

But I guess that's just me. Idgaf if someone accepts me or not for whatever reason. That's their problem. Stop trying to fix something you can't control while thinking you can.
Old Apr 27, 2013, 10:49 PM   #17
quagmire
macrumors 603

Quote:
Good old race card.
Actually care to respond to what I said and not just say, " race card!"

I wasn't pulling the race card as to so much prove a point that things we have no control over( race, gender, sexual orientation, etc) shouldn't be discriminated against.

Quote:
But I guess that's just me. Idgaf if someone accepts me or not for whatever reason. That's their problem. Stop trying to fix something you can't control while thinking you can.
So you truly believe discrimination is perfectly ok?
Penn Station-New York
quagmire is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2013, 10:50 PM   #18
steve knight
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Good old race card.
just an example discrimination for any reason that people don't control over is a loss of freedom for that person. but it is easy not to see that if you are on the giving side of it.
Old Apr 27, 2013, 10:53 PM   #19
thekev
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac'nCheese View Post
Would you if you were driving through some small town with one gas station and you were flashing E? You would say, screw them I'll take my chances on getting to next the town? That's why we have these laws. Not for when you want to give someone your money but because of the times you have to.
That is actually a good example, but I don't think it would be a big deal if certain churches refused to marry people. It's not like all churches would refuse. Even if religion is tax exempt, it's still run as a business. In the end it would likely result in bad PR, and they'd would eventually go back on it.
Old Apr 27, 2013, 10:54 PM   #20
haxrnick
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Actually care to respond to what I said and not just say, " race card!"

I wasn't pulling the race card as to so much prove a point that things we have no control over( race, gender, sexual orientation, etc) shouldn't be discriminated against.

So you truly believe discrimination is perfectly ok?
I'm not saying that. I'm saying it's no sweat off my back if someone else does or not. That's their prerogative to do so and I'm not going to lose any sleep over someone else's issues.
Quote:
just an example discrimination for any reason that people don't control over is a loss of freedom for that person. but it is easy not to see that if you are on the giving side of it.
What loss of freedom?
Old Apr 27, 2013, 11:00 PM   #21
quagmire
macrumors 603

Quote:
I'm not saying that. I'm saying it's no sweat off my back if someone else does or not. That's their prerogative to do so and I'm not going to lose any sleep over someone else's issues.
They have the right to be a racist, homophobe, whatever. But, they don't have the right to deny service based on currently race and gender( should be extended to sexual orientation as well).

So unless the service they are providing is directly related to their religion( like at a church), they need to suck it up and provide the service to gay people. Running a restaurant has nothing to do with your religious beliefs. Being a pharmacist has nothing to do with your religious beliefs. If you can't do your job because of your religious beliefs, choose a different career that won't put you into conflict over your beliefs.
Penn Station-New York

Last edited by quagmire; Apr 27, 2013 at 11:05 PM.
quagmire is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2013, 11:11 PM   #22
steve knight
macrumors 65816

Quote:
So unless the service they are providing is directly related to their religion( like at a church), they need to suck it up and provide the service to gay people. Running a restaurant has nothing to do with your religious beliefs. Being a pharmacist has nothing to do with your religious beliefs. If you can't do your job because of your religious beliefs, choose a different career that won't put you into conflict over your beliefs.
Plus why do others have to sacrifice their freedoms or beliefs to pacify someone else's? in this case Christians beliefs. everyone is supposed to fully give up their beliefs so Christians don't have to give up theirs. so this is freedom?

----------

Quote:
Because being discriminated against due to race, gender, sexual orientation, etc is WRONG. I'm sorry, but it is and it shouldn't be encouraged. Being white, black, chinese, female, male, straight, and gay isn't something you chose, but born with. To be discriminated against over something you have no control over is wrong.
it is perfectly ok if your not effected though. that's the attitude here. The above poster would not be bothered if he was kicked out of a store. He would be happy about it it seems.
Old Apr 27, 2013, 11:51 PM   #23
MuddyPaws1
Banned

Quote:
so if some business owner thought you were gay (no proof required) told you to leave you would be happy?
I personally believe that it is the owners right to refuse service to anyone they want. It's their business and they should be able to choose who they do business with. They don't need a reason nor should they have to state their reason.

However the lawsuit that sparked this, in my opinion is invalid simply based on state law.

Quote:
Stutzman is accused of violating the state's Consumer Protection Act, which prohibits discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation in a public place.
Sexual orientation is a protected class in that state, but only in some cases. Like employment, hotel stays, the purchase of real estate and insurance, and the use of credit cards and does not include service in businesses.

Interesting that a law designed to protect gays uses the same language that I have used here and have been bashed for.

I am for gay rights, but not for anyone having MORE rights than anyone else simply based on their sexual orientation. There are places that don't allow kids, there are places that are gay only or all male or all female. I don't see a huge stink about that. Kind of hypocritical don't you think?

Last edited by MuddyPaws1; Apr 28, 2013 at 12:02 AM.
MuddyPaws1 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2013, 03:11 AM   #24
Bug-Creator
macrumors regular

Now we only need a buisness owner in Washington state to put up some cardboards:

- no service for NRA members
- no service for pickup-drivers
- no service for anybody showing christian symbols

Bug-Creator is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2013, 10:31 AM   #25
APlotdevice
macrumors 68020

Quote:
1. Being gay is not just a lifestyle.
2. Historically religion was used in the same way to justify discrimination against blacks, Jews, the left handed, and many others.

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues