Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

helpanoobout

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 14, 2013
Hi,
I just got a new mac mini 2012 with Mountain Lion on it. Everything is working great but I am having a lot of difficulties in printing PDFs. Characters are coming out as jibberish. Instead of numbers, I get funny symbols like @^G, etc. I tried looking around in the advance menu to see if I could find anything to fix this but no luck whatsoever. Word documents and Excels print fine...
heIj4lH.png

Any ideas? Thanks

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
Are you saying that some characters in the page seem to be replaced by others, or is the whole page just random symbols?
That PDF image in the dialog is blank. Is it supposed to be?

It's almost certainly a driver issue. Make sure you've got the most up-to-date ones.

helpanoobout

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 14, 2013
Thanks for replying. Everything looks fine in the PDF on the screen. When I print it out, the hard copy is coming out funny with weird characters being printed out. I downloaded the latest drivers for mountain lion from the canon website but this isn't fixing the issue...wonder if there is some option in the pdf

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
Is it all PDFs? Or just some?
Did these PDFs work on your previous computer?
Have PDFs on this Mini ever worked properly?
If you download another PDF reader, such as Adobe's Reader, and print from there, do you still get the same problem?

If it is just loads of random "code" coming out on many sheets of paper, then that points to the printer receiving data it doesn't understand.

If you make a PDF of a Word document, does that print fine?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Instead of numbers, I get funny symbols like @^G, etc.

Is this just on some web pages you try to print? If so, that may be the fault of the web page CSS design and nothing wrong with your machine. I see the same thing sometimes.

If you want to post up a link to the web page that is doing this, I will give it a try on my machine.

Lunchb0x8

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2010
Quirindi, NSW, AU
The issue may be in your printer.

I know Canon are great for image stuff normally (coming from a EOS DSLR owner) but their printers are kind of lame when it comes to PDF.

An organisation I used to work for replaced all of their canon fleet of printers with Xerox after they discovered that the canon printers would not print more than the first page of any PDF before printing pages of garbled text and wingidngs-esque images.

t0rr3s

macrumors 6502
Dec 23, 2010
The issue may be in your printer.

I know Canon are great for image stuff normally (coming from a EOS DSLR owner) but their printers are kind of lame when it comes to PDF.

An organisation I used to work for replaced all of their canon fleet of printers with Xerox after they discovered that the canon printers would not print more than the first page of any PDF before printing pages of garbled text and wingidngs-esque images.

It's just their way of delighting you, always.

Taxi! Right I'm off...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.