Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zulkiflim

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 6, 2008
Singapore
HEya

First of before anyone say anything, my entire household is APPLE centric.

From the media centre to mobile.

I have always told my friend how other brand feels cheap/lackluster.
But with the HTC ONE,the gap has been overcome.

Samsung will always make crappy phone, but HTC One blew my mind.

Not android/crapware/spyware... the build is just much better than the Iphone 5.
Hold it in your hands and you will understand what i mean.

Apple need not change the screen size or whatever, but what ever they come out with will be compared with HTC ONE...not Samsung S4 (which is crap).

Apple really need to wow with the next iteration of the Iphone .

Reminds me of this video where Microsoft spend a LOT of money on advertising instead of fixing the Vista problems.
Likewise, Apple you have a winner with Iphone 5, we dont need more ads, just make sure the next iphone design blow the competition away.

Remember this ad?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pqugg-br0Cw

:apple: All the way...

itsmemuffins

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
No it's not.

It's all put together with glue. Back plate is glued to the plastic rim, plastic rim can crack (google)

Fake speaker grills glued to the plastic rim can pop off if you drop the phone (google)

Screen glued to the plastic rim and so on and so on.

It's not even a true unibody design like the iPhone 5.

So how exactly is it a better build than the iPhone 5?

SanjeevRana

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2011
Great ... thanks for opening an HTC One to prove your point :rolleyes:

Images and links would help ...

Here is mine - http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/HTC+One+Teardown/13494/1

Interesting points -
The number one standout feature of the One is certainly the aluminum unibody, which required much custom tooling on HTC's part to achieve the perfect fit and finish.

With the rear case off, we find the One's report card. It looks like straight As, although at this point we are not sure the repairability score will fare so well.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The HTC One does look great - I'd be all over that if it weren't for the fact I'm in mid-contract.

Krimsonmyst

macrumors 6502
Dec 18, 2012
Cheap ass plastic design with gingerbread like touchwizz UI and 1000 software feature that nobody uses...

As someone who bought an S4 yesterday - don't let the 'cheap ass plastic' fool you. It is actually a very sturdily built handset. Build quality and build materials are 2 different things.
I don't particularly care for the build materials of the S4, but the build quality is excellent.

If you don't like TouchWiz, there are ways around it. Install a third party launcher - or if you REALLY want, flash a ROM. Either a lite TouchWiz based rom or an AOSP/AOKP one.

And just because YOU don't use the software features, doesn't mean NO-ONE will. I've already set my S4 up as a remote for all the TVs in my house, and using the head tilt to scroll (smart scroll) is great when I'm lying in bed and my arms are under the covers :D

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I just picked up a one and like it so far. No question about the build quality. I have a few quirks with sense, but having blinkfeed makes it worth it. That feature alone is the best single news feature I have used.

Davejprince

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2012
The Netherlands
The One is a good device with a decent build quality, The Galaxy series are good phones, altough the shell is what I dislike.
I do also prefer iOS over Android

Krimsonmyst

macrumors 6502
Dec 18, 2012
I just picked up a one and like it so far. No question about the build quality. I have a few quirks with sense, but having blinkfeed makes it worth it. That feature alone is the best single news feature I have used.

I like the idea of Blinkfeed - I do not like the idea of not being able to turn it off.

itsmemuffins

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
And aluminum phones are made from the same material as a shasta cola can.

We all know that nothing with high quality is made of plastic right? :rolleyes:

It's not the same grade as the can ;)

I didn't say plastic I said Samsung. Nokia makes very high quality plastic phones and so does htc oppo and others.

Samsung makes phones from cheap disgusting plastic. :cool:

----------

What do you have against plastic? I really wonder what it did to make you so irate.

Like everything there are grades of quality and Samsung uses the lowest grade it can get away with.

It's nothing like the quality nokia and htc use and others. ;)

adder7712

macrumors 68000
Mar 9, 2009
Canada
The only plastic parts are the rear cover and the sides. The front is glass.

Also, it's glossy and that may evoke a feeling of cheapness.

Krimsonmyst

macrumors 6502
Dec 18, 2012

I didn't say plastic I said Samsung. Nokia makes very high quality plastic phones and so does htc oppo and others.

Samsung makes phones from cheap disgusting plastic. :cool:

----------

Like everything there are grades of quality and Samsung uses the lowest grade it can get away with.

The plastic (or polycarbonate, if you want to get technical) that Nokia, HTC and Oppo uses may FEEL better, but if you drop them the plastic will dent, it will scratch, it will chip.

The polycarbonate on the Galaxy phones (S3 and S4) will not. I dropped my S3 3 times over the course of a year. Once was onto a carpark surface, once was onto grass from a picnic table and once was onto tiles outside on my patio, and it hasn't gotten so much as a hairline scratch on it. It does look unpleasant when the back cover flies off and the battery falls out (did 2/3 times), but when you pick it back up and put it back together, it's good as new.

My mum has a Lumia 800, and about a month after getting it she dropped it down the side of her car seat, it fell about a foot and a half. When she picked it up, the corner had been dented slightly, and the casing had a black mark where it had landed on some rubber.

Samsung's plastic goes for function over form, and it does a good job of it. I agree with you that the One looks better, as does the iPhone 5, but when I think of what will happen to that aluminium body when it gets dropped or knocked against something hard, it puts me right off.

itsmemuffins

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
The plastic (or polycarbonate, if you want to get technical) that Nokia, HTC and Oppo uses may FEEL better, but if you drop them the plastic will dent, it will scratch, it will chip.

The polycarbonate on the Galaxy phones (S3 and S4) will not. I dropped my S3 3 times over the course of a year. Once was onto a carpark surface, once was onto grass from a picnic table and once was onto tiles outside on my patio, and it hasn't gotten so much as a hairline scratch on it. It does look unpleasant when the back cover flies off and the battery falls out (did 2/3 times), but when you pick it back up and put it back together, it's good as new.

My mum has a Lumia 800, and about a month after getting it she dropped it down the side of her car seat, it fell about a foot and a half. When she picked it up, the corner had been dented slightly, and the casing had a black mark where it had landed on some rubber.

Samsung's plastic goes for function over form, and it does a good job of it. I agree with you that the One looks better, as does the iPhone 5, but when I think of what will happen to that aluminium body when it gets dropped or knocked against something hard, it puts me right off.

Indeed that us true because the plastic is so thin there is nothing to dent.

I wouldn't even care but Samsung try's to pass their high end phones as a premium device, which they re clearly not.

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire

You got a link to prove that?:rolleyes: What grade aluminium is a can and what grade alluminium is an iPhone? Do you know?

And a link for that?

Something to mull over while you are getting those links;

I would guess that the aluminium on an iPhone 5 is thinner than a tin can.

Quote;

Which brings us to the next key detail with the anodization process: typically, the thickness of the anodization adds about half that thickness to the total aluminum thickness. So if you had an aluminum plate that was 1mm thick and added a 0.2 mm oxide, post-anodization, you would end up with a total material thickness of 1.1mm. With Apple trying to maintain as slim a profile as possible, it's in their best interests to have a relatively thin anodization. Given the graining of the anodization and based on what I've seen from scratching up my own iPhone 5, I think Apple's anodization process results in a super-thin alumina, something on the order of less than a hundred microns, at most; I'm estimating around 50-75um. (I'd also just like to note that in the process of this review, I took a jeweler's screwdriver to the back of my previously pristine iPhone 5. I love you guys, don't ever forget it.)

The oxide is even thinner on the bands, particularly the chamfers, which are just painted metal. So while the entire thing is easy to nick, it seems easiest to scratch off lots of paint on the bands, as well as the various metal edges. The soft-anodized surface is just a magnet. And the thing is, I'm not even sure they have the material thickness to oxidize more of the surface to get a more durable finish. The entire phone is so thin, and especially on the bands, I can't see a way for them to corrode any more of the aluminum than they already have without it raising questions about structural integrity. So, without very special care inside the factories, it's pretty easy to see how defects could occur. The rumors of Apple tightening down on quality control inside the iPhone 5 assembly factories comes as no surprise, since the 5 really does need extra attention to make it out of the factory unscathed.

Taken from;

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6330/t...one-5-review/3

Last edited:

Krimsonmyst

macrumors 6502
Dec 18, 2012
Indeed that us true because the plastic is so thin there is nothing to dent.

I wouldn't even care but Samsung try's to pass their high end phones as a premium device, which they re clearly not.

This is such an incorrect statement. What exactly about the Galaxy S4 is not a premium device?

- First handset to have an Octo-Core CPU (in some regions)
- First handset to feature LPDDR3 Memory (HTC One only has LPDDR2)
- Adaptive 1080p AMOLED Display (with a unique diamond pixel arrangement)
- Eye Tracking Technology
- SD Card Support
- Removable Battery
- WiFi ac connectivity

And then you're going to sit there and tell me that it doesn't deserve to be a premium device because the casing on the outside isn't aluminium?

Even if you DID want to pursue this insane train of thought, 90% of people who buy these phones will put cases on them anyway, making your argument moot.

There is a horrible trend in mobile tech circles these days (reviewers do it as well and it frustrates me no end), that if a device isn't made of aluminium and glass then it has a poor build quality - which is a load of crap.
You may not like the materials that the device is encased in, but that doesn't mean it has poor build quality.

If you actually bothered to go and hold an actual S4, you would see that it is an incredibly sturdy and well built handset. The lines are clean, edges are straight, everything fits together perfectly and there is no creaking or slipping.

Call me insane if you wish, but I'll take a functional and well build handset over one that makes compromises for the sake of outer casing any day of the week. It's a shame everyone fawns over glass and aluminium, because there are so many benefits to exploring other options.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.