Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

renosausage

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 22, 2012
Hey everyone,

Before I purchased my rMBP I had a 17 Macbook Pro.

I would often set that beast on the bathroom counter and play music or even watch a movie while I tool a bath.

Now that I have my rMBP, I do exactly the same thing almost everyday.

During the moments when I play music, I usually take a shower and a lot of steam accumulates in the bathroom.

I never considered this steam hurting my rMBP until a cousin of mine mentioned it to me.

So here is my question, will letting my rMBP play music while I take a shower mess anything up? Would the steam hurt my system?

If using my rMBP in the bathroom is not a good idea, then what bluetooth speaker would you recommend to use as a music player from my rMBP?

I am looking for a cheap one, not something over $100. Thank you :)

shootist

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2011
You are asking for real trouble doing that. Not only will the system fail sooner than it would anyway but you have probably already voided the warranty.

Apple places moisture detection devices, strips, inside all Mac notebooks. At the first sign of moisture those strips change color. Once that happens and Apple see it they VOID ALL Warranties. Leaving any and all repairs at the cost of the owner. For the retina model that could be greater than the cost of a new system as there aren't many parts in the retina that can be replaced. They are all either glued into the case parts or soldered onto the main board.

Good Luck with that.

rockyroad55

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2010
Phila, PA
Just buy an iPad or iPod with Bluetooth speakers. The iPad is quite loud but an iPod will be cheaper, like a nano, and get some bathroom speakers. That will cost less than any MacBook repair or the iPad.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
There is this invention that some use to listen to music when more sophisticated electronics won't do. It's call RADIO. It might be so new that folks are not aware of it's existence. There are even waterproof ones. And even one's you don'y have to plug in.

I know I'm just showing off my advanced knowledge of available music playing devices...but it's for your own good!:cool: :p

And on a somewhat less stupid note...I hope your rMBP is OK!:D

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Just buy an iPad or iPod with Bluetooth speakers. The iPad is quite loud but an iPod will be cheaper, like a nano, and get some bathroom speakers. That will cost less than any MacBook repair or the iPad.
You are on the right track. In theory any decent Bluetooth speakers will also work with a Mac, Just have the Mac outside the bathroom but in range and use the speakers in the bathroom. A pair of speakers that are rated for outdoor use would be best in the bathroom.

LeeM

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2012
id say your warranty is probably void now. moisture from a pocket sets off the indicators in an iphone, being steamed up in a bathroom will have most definitely done it on a mac

nia820

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2011
Bringing a rmbp into the bathroom is just insane. Just have a look a on amazon for bathroom music players. It will be more practical and won't ruin your laptop.

I don't even take my ipod into the bathroom.

WhiteIphone5

macrumors 65816
May 27, 2011
Lima, Peru
There's this device called an iPod shuffle or Nano. You can buy one and get cheap speakers and play them? I'm sure if you can afford a rMBp you can afford an iPod :)

Queen6

macrumors G4

Logitech UE BomBox, small and works well. I also have a Jambox, too expensive and it moves about at high volumes, which makes it vulnerable to falls. The Logitech has a lower volume, however for the price and increased portability I prefer it. I also like the simplicity of the Logitech speaker, just pair and go :)

wMw

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2013
I once took an iPad in the shower for music. It end up suddenly instantly shutting down, wasn't responding for some time. But it works right now.

kycophpd

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2009
Louisville, Kentucky
Go buy a cheap pair of $19 speakers at Wal-Mart and an extension cable and just run the speakers in from another room. Worst case scenario you go thru a set of speakers every few months.

thundersteele

macrumors 68030
Oct 19, 2011
Switzerland
@OP

If you have a place where the laptop is reasonably well protected from splashes, I believe you can continue to use it in the bathroom. If you produce too much steam, leave the bathroom door open or turn on some ventilation.

wonderspark

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2010
Oregon
I'm not astonished, but only because I had a girlfriend that used her MBP in the steamy bathroom, so I've seen it firsthand. I would never do that, but she was proud of her AppleCare, and 'hot-girl' syndrome seemed to work well for her, as far as getting things fixed for free. Last I saw that laptop, the 'e' key was only working part of the time, haha.

Last edited by a moderator:

dastinger

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2012
I'm not astonished, but only because I had a girlfriend that used her MBP in the steamy bathroom, so I've seen it firsthand. I would never do that, but she was proud of her AppleCare, and 'hot-girl' syndrome seemed to work well for her, as far as getting things fixed for free. Last I saw that laptop, the 'e' key was only working part of the time, haha.
/brag about hot ex gf

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
Otherwise intelligent people who get great satisfaction from assuming are everywhere in this forum.

I'd bet they don't assume they're brain surgeons, so why do they think they're electronics experts ? :eek:

Taking a state of the art computer in a high humidity bathroom while taking a shower? Then asking about it after the fact? Priceless :D

Ricanlegend

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2009
Bronx,Ny
Hey everyone,

Before I purchased my rMBP I had a 17 Macbook Pro.

I would often set that beast on the bathroom counter and play music or even watch a movie while I tool a bath.

Now that I have my rMBP, I do exactly the same thing almost everyday.

During the moments when I play music, I usually take a shower and a lot of steam accumulates in the bathroom.

I never considered this steam hurting my rMBP until a cousin of mine mentioned it to me.

So here is my question, will letting my rMBP play music while I take a shower mess anything up? Would the steam hurt my system?

If using my rMBP in the bathroom is not a good idea, then what bluetooth speaker would you recommend to use as a music player from my rMBP?

Buy a shower radio best $40 I ever spent

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
Given the risks implied, I'd say this is a terrible waste of a great computer.

At the very least play music videos to make use of the retina screen. ;)

I've had the iPad in the bathroom with me when showering but

1. I don't shower very hot or close the door (don't steam up the mirror)
2. No moving parts
3. Fewer openings.
4. much lower replacement cost.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.