Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

elolaugesen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 1, 2008
as far as I am concerned no problems encountered to date works both on HDMI and thru DVI. All works as it should for me not as reported by many.

My configation Late 2012 Mac mini i7 2.3 16meg Osx 10.8.3 all fixes applied.
Apple Cinema 20 inch.... with DVI connections - Panasonic Viera LCD two years old (not the cheap model)

Ran a test as we are late in watching a TV show and wanted to see it on a larger screen. all was fine through HDMI directly. Colors good. But decided to Color manage screen so I could see what the image from my real work would look like. Profile app DATACOLOR Spyder Pro

Scary. results sRGB Gamut Panasonic 99% Cinema 98%
AdobeRGB Gamut Panasonic 77% Cinema 77%.

I was shocked to see the similarities in the final result of the charts.
I reran to see if I made an error? none that I could find.
This is after reading all the horror stories about crushed whites, etc etc..
Only answer I have is the better quality Panasonic that I bought twice the price of cheaper models.

cheers elo

This thread was move over to another forum by the moderator. I understand why. But as so many had complained I felt it should be covered in this forum and maybe it will help others to see what may have gone wrong with their HDMI connection.

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
as far as I am concerned no problems encountered to date works both on HDMI and thru DVI. All works as it should for me not as reported by many.

My configation Late 2012 Mac mini i7 2.3 16meg Osx 10.8.3 all fixes applied.
Apple Cinema 20 inch.... with DVI connections - Panasonic Viera LCD two years old (not the cheap model)

Ran a test as we are late in watching a TV show and wanted to see it on a larger screen. all was fine through HDMI directly. Colors good. But decided to Color manage screen so I could see what the image from my real work would look like. Profile app DATACOLOR Spyder Pro

I was shocked to see the similarities in the final result of the charts.
I reran to see if I made an error? none that I could find.
This is after reading all the horror stories about crushed whites, etc etc..
Only answer I have is the better quality Panasonic that I bought twice the price of cheaper models.

cheers elo

This thread was move over to another forum by the moderator. I understand why. But as so many had complained I felt it should be covered in this forum and maybe it will help others to see what may have gone wrong with their HDMI connection.

Once I did the 10.8.3 fix the crushed white issue improved. A lot a real lot.

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/white.php

this went from 200 to 252 but on my 2011 with the 6630m I can see 253 .

now with a hd7970 in an i7 diy pc I can see the 254.

I have 3 screens and 3 minis

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012

I don't understand what these results mean, other than you get similar values for both monitors. What do the percentages represent?
So, using Adobe RGB colorspace (as the display profile????) gives you ... lower ... than using sRGB?

I have two Apple Cinema Displays on my Mini, and there's no difference between the output from the MDP port and that of the HDMI port.

Last edited:

elolaugesen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 1, 2008
I don't understand what these results mean, other than you get similar values for both monitors. What do the percentages represent?
So, using Adobe RGB colorspace (as the display profile????) gives you ... lower ... than using sRGB?

I have two Apple Cinema Displays on my Mini, and there's no difference between the output from the MDP port and that of the HDMI port.

Explanation by datacolor documentation. Numbers shows that Cinema screen is capable of displaying 99% of SRGB color space and 77% of adobe RGB color space. TV does the same.
I had expected much larger variance in Cinema's favour.
Most important for those using TV.s as their main display.

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
Numbers shows that Cinema screen is capable of displaying 99% of SRGB color space and 77% of adobe RGB color space. TV does the same.
I'm not sure that this says anything about the overall quality or abilities of the monitors. The Adobe RGB colourspace is larger than sRGB.

Last edited:

Giuly

macrumors 68040
Explanation by datacolor documentation. Numbers shows that Cinema screen is capable of displaying 99% of SRGB color space and 77% of adobe RGB color space. TV does the same.
I had expected much larger variance in Cinema's favour.
Most important for those using TV.s as their main display.

If you're using a TV as the main display, color accuracy isn't your concern at all - otherwise you'd just get a proper computer display.

elolaugesen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 1, 2008
Like my ACD and was offered a new 27 inch Thunderbolt ACD at 40% discount today. 3 month display in computer store.

looked at it and did not like the glare. I prefer the non glare monitors instead.

Yes I would not want a TV for main display. However so many seem to go that way as they do not necessarily have room for both.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.