Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vothic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 28, 2013
About three months ago I got an iPad Mini. For the first two months of that time I mostly used it in an office setting (i.e. bright overhead lights). However, a few weeks ago I started using it at home for reading ebooks. Once I started doing so I noticed that when held in portrait mode there is a yellowish oval discoloration that runs from just above the home button to just below the middle of the screen. For apps and basic use this hardly noticeable and I could live with it, but when used as an ereader it is quite distracting.

I was thinking of making a Genius Bar appointment to see if I could get it swapped out. I understand the new unit would be a referb, which is fine theoretically. Here is my question...

Assuming Apple would swap it out, what can I expect from a referb? Are they simply units somebody returned which are then wiped and re-package or do they undergo some sort of QC check?

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Returns are usually QC'd and repackaged. I always thought you were more likely to get a good unit that way. Things may have changed though as now it sees like it is quantity over quality.

JPNFRK7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2012
California
Are you sure that pattern isnt something in the background of the page. I know on the Amazon Kindle app you can change the background of the page to four different colors. I would try that before exchanging. If it doesn't show up in any other apps then it is probably your ebooks app.

Infinite Jest

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2011
Harrisonburg, Va
I hav e a similar issue with a very feint yellow stripe along the bottom and left side on a white page. I tried getting it swapped out a few months ago but was told it was 'within spec' for screen quality in conjunction with a single dead pixel I found. I hope the employees at your local store are more reasonable.

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
My first mini was like this...got it replaced at Genius Bar without any trouble whatsoever....go for it!

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Assuming Apple would swap it out, what can I expect from a referb? Are they simply units somebody returned which are then wiped and re-package or do they undergo some sort of QC check?

You need to understand Apple terms. You aren't getting a refurb. You are getting a service part. There is a difference in Apple language.

A Refurb, to Apple, means a unit returned for Buyers Remorse. All units are QC tested and if they pass then the battery and all parts that touch flesh are changed to new parts. Otherwise the parts are the same ones it came with initially. The unit is reassembled and wiped etc.

A service part can be new or remanufactured. The latter means that some of the parts came from items returned by customers at the bar or within the return period and failed testing. The parts are disassembled and tested independently and only those parts that pass are used in the assembly of service units. The failing parts are recycled appropriately. Again, fresh battery and enclosure on all units.

End result is that service parts are 'like new' and you can expect the same quality as a 'new' unit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.