Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Oct 26, 2005, 10:10 PM   #1
terriyaki
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Vancouver
Mac version of MultiSim or a similar Mac alternative?

Does anyone know if there is a Mac version of MultiSim? It's an electronic circuit simulator program.. figured if there were Maple alternatives there'd be some electronics program alternatives.

Short of a Mac version do you guys know if there would be any similar programs for OS X?

Please, please, please let there be some alternatives. I really don't want to install VPC on my iBook.
__________________
enjoy yourself, it's later than you think

Last edited by Nermal; Oct 26, 2005 at 10:17 PM. Reason: decapitalised "MAC" for your own safety
terriyaki is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2005, 10:38 PM   #2
TDM21
macrumors 6502a
 
TDM21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
If anyone finds one, I am interested as well.

I have used MultiSim in VPC before. After 3 D-latches and 1 clock chip, along with a 7 segment LED, I brought VPC to a screeching halt. The power just wasn't there to simulate the circuit.
__________________
13" 2011 MacBook Pro/2.7GHz i7/4GB Ram/500GB HD
12" PowerBook/1.33GHz/1.25GB RAM/160GB HD/ComboDrive
PowerMac G4/2x1.8GHz/1.5GB RAM/ATi 9800Pro/Poineer 111D
Newton 2100
TDM21 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2005, 06:33 PM   #3
terriyaki
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Vancouver
Bump

I've found MI Sugar and QUCS.

Anyone out there have any experience using these? I've installed them both and experimented with them a bit but I'm still unfamiliar with them. Any comments about these programs or recommendations for other programs would be really helpful.

Thanks in advance.
__________________
enjoy yourself, it's later than you think
terriyaki is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2005, 10:00 PM   #4
mduser63
macrumors 68040
 
mduser63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Send a message via AIM to mduser63
Quote:
Originally Posted by terriyaki
Bump

I've found MI Sugar and QUCS.

Anyone out there have any experience using these? I've installed them both and experimented with them a bit but I'm still unfamiliar with them. Any comments about these programs or recommendations for other programs would be really helpful.

Thanks in advance.
I first installed MI-SUGAR quite a while back. Couldn't really get it to work, so I kind of forgot about it and just continued to use PSpice on my PC. I revisited MI-SUGAR a couple months back and actually spent an hour or so figuring it out, and I've grown to really like it. It can definitely be improved, but right now its only version 0.57, and for being relatively unfinished, it's very impressive. Haven't tried QUCS, I just found out about it the other day.

I'm actually just starting to learn Objective-C and planning to learn Cocoa once I get Objective-C down OK. The thing that motivated me to do that is a desire to improve MI-SUGAR (besides having wanted to learn to program for a long time).

If you're looking for Verilog software, there's a program out there called IVIonOSX or something similar. It's really not well finished, but I have successfully used it in combination with the Icarus open source command line Verilog compiler to simulate somewhat complex Verilog designs. I haven't found a schematic->Verilog app like you can get for the PC, but I really don't feel that such a thing is particularly useful. Verilog is only really powerful when you write it in text form like you'd write a program.
__________________
27" 2.93 GHz Core i7 iMac, 12 GB RAM
2.3 GHz Retina MacBook Pro
12" 1.33 GHz Superdrive PowerBook G4, 1.25 GB RAM
iPhone 5, iPad 3, etc.
mduser63 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2006, 02:32 PM   #5
-::ubermann::-
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
hey i downloaded qucs but when it doesnt open, i click on it and bounces once, and do nothing
MIsugar doesnt exist anymore
do you know another alternative?
i really dont want to use windows, i even have suse on my macbook and im thinking to change into debian..
-::ubermann::- is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2006, 02:56 PM   #6
mduser63
macrumors 68040
 
mduser63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Send a message via AIM to mduser63
Quote:
Originally Posted by -::ubermann::-
hey i downloaded qucs but when it doesnt open, i click on it and bounces once, and do nothing
MIsugar doesnt exist anymore
do you know another alternative?
i really dont want to use windows, i even have suse on my macbook and im thinking to change into debian..
MI-SUGAR is open source, so it does still exist, it just seems that the original author no longer offers it on his site. I'd be happy to upload a copy (including source-code) if anyone wants it. As for QUCS, I could never get it to launch either. MI-SUGAR on the other hand actually works, and I've successfully used it to complete quite a few assignments for which PSpice was "required".

EDIT: Looks like you have to have the QT runtimes installed for QUCS...that may be the problem.

EDIT2: Yep, after installing Qt-Mac (found here), QUCS launches fine, and it looks pretty promising. I don't have much of a need for SPICE-type simulation this year (focusing on VLSI and advanced electromagnetics stuff right now), but if I did, I'd definitely try to figure out how to use QUCS effectively.
__________________
27" 2.93 GHz Core i7 iMac, 12 GB RAM
2.3 GHz Retina MacBook Pro
12" 1.33 GHz Superdrive PowerBook G4, 1.25 GB RAM
iPhone 5, iPad 3, etc.

Last edited by mduser63; Oct 14, 2006 at 03:10 PM.
mduser63 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2006, 09:36 PM   #7
-::ubermann::-
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by mduser63
MI-SUGAR is open source, so it does still exist, it just seems that the original author no longer offers it on his site. I'd be happy to upload a copy (including source-code) if anyone wants it. As for QUCS, I could never get it to launch either. MI-SUGAR on the other hand actually works, and I've successfully used it to complete quite a few assignments for which PSpice was "required".

EDIT: Looks like you have to have the QT runtimes installed for QUCS...that may be the problem.

EDIT2: Yep, after installing Qt-Mac (found here), QUCS launches fine, and it looks pretty promising. I don't have much of a need for SPICE-type simulation this year (focusing on VLSI and advanced electromagnetics stuff right now), but if I did, I'd definitely try to figure out how to use QUCS effectively.
Thanks man, i got qucs working!
it would be nice if you upload MI-sugar, where would it be? via torrent?

Last edited by -::ubermann::-; Oct 14, 2006 at 09:49 PM.
-::ubermann::- is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2006, 01:41 AM   #8
mduser63
macrumors 68040
 
mduser63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Send a message via AIM to mduser63
Quote:
Originally Posted by -::ubermann::-
Thanks man, i got qucs working!
it would be nice if you upload MI-sugar, where would it be? via torrent?
No, I'd have to put it on my own web space. Which I suppose I'll do now. I'm including both the application itself and the source code in the same zip file. The app is Universal. It's written in Objective-C/Cocoa except for the GNUCap and SPICE backends, and is provided as an XCode project. I have a longterm goal of sort of reviving the project if I can because it's particularly useful to me, and I kind of think that was the author's intent when he open-sourced it.

Anyway, download it here (8 MB).

Note to people finding this thread via search in the future: That link will almost certainly be dead within a few weeks when I do my periodic cleaning of my webserver. If you need/want MI-SUGAR, PM me and I can probably send it to you again.
__________________
27" 2.93 GHz Core i7 iMac, 12 GB RAM
2.3 GHz Retina MacBook Pro
12" 1.33 GHz Superdrive PowerBook G4, 1.25 GB RAM
iPhone 5, iPad 3, etc.
mduser63 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2006, 09:28 AM   #9
janiegirl
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Thanks for posting MI SUGAR :)

Thanks for posting MI SUGAR! I've been looking for it as well...

*janiegirl*
janiegirl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2007, 12:19 AM   #10
Zetto
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Quote:
Macintosh Platform

Combo Simulation/Layout/Schematic Capture

QUCS (schematic and simulation not SPICE) OSX packages
http://naranja.umh.es/~atg/

gEDA (schematic, netlist, simulation, pcb) fink .info files for OSX
http://www.ghz.cc/charles/fink/

MI-SUGAR (schematic and simulation) OSX 1.3 Carbon
http://www.macinit.com/misugar/

XCircuit (schematic and netlist)
http://xcircuit.ece.jhu.edu/
http://sourceforge.net/projects/xcircuit/
(install on OSX with fink: $fink install xcircuit)

PCB Layout Software

Eagle
http://www.cadsoftusa.com/
Osmond PCB
http://www.swcp.com/~jchavez/osmond.html

Circuit Simulation

Freeware SPICE for Mac (Classic and OS X) -
http://newton.ex.ac.uk/teaching/CDHW/MacSpice/
Found this on another forum.
Zetto is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2007, 03:26 PM   #11
LtRammstein
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Denver, CO
Send a message via AIM to LtRammstein Send a message via MSN to LtRammstein
Which of these programs is closer to a Xilinx environment?

Steve
__________________
17" White Intel iMac 1.83GHz, 250 GB HD, 2 GB RAM || iPod Touch 16GB w/ 3.0 || 15" Intel MBP 2.4GHz, 250 GB HD, 4 GB RAM
LtRammstein is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2008, 09:20 PM   #12
Saladinos
macrumors 68000
 
Saladinos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Anybody have a working mirror to MI-SUGAR binary or source?
Saladinos is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2008, 03:19 PM   #13
macforumrider
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Post it again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mduser63 View Post
No, I'd have to put it on my own web space. Which I suppose I'll do now. I'm including both the application itself and the source code in the same zip file. The app is Universal. It's written in Objective-C/Cocoa except for the GNUCap and SPICE backends, and is provided as an XCode project. I have a longterm goal of sort of reviving the project if I can because it's particularly useful to me, and I kind of think that was the author's intent when he open-sourced it.

Anyway, download it here (8 MB).

Note to people finding this thread via search in the future: That link will almost certainly be dead within a few weeks when I do my periodic cleaning of my webserver. If you need/want MI-SUGAR, PM me and I can probably send it to you again.
you are very thoughtful, could you post this again? I am new to macs and would like a spice program to use here.

Thanks
macforumrider is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2009, 06:49 AM   #14
dizzin
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
mi sugar

mduser63

could you post mi sugar and the other programs again? or send them to me it is only 8 mb that not to much to email.
anyway thanks

greetz dizzin
dizzin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2009, 06:23 PM   #15
uanuglyfool
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: The Moon, CA
One more time

Can anyone send me a copy of MI Sugar

Thanks
uanuglyfool is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2009, 08:15 PM   #16
22Hertz
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
I recently found Mi Sugar through a Google search.

You may also want to check out MacSpice. I haven't had a chance to play with it yet so I don't know how it compares to the other spice's out there.
22Hertz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2009, 11:32 AM   #17
farhadtheruler
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2009
hey mduser63

i would also appreciate if you could post MI-SUGAR again..

thnx
farhadtheruler is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2009, 12:34 PM   #18
MAC-PRO-DEMON
macrumors 6502a
 
MAC-PRO-DEMON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Up north in Yorkshire :)
Send a message via AIM to MAC-PRO-DEMON Send a message via Skype™ to MAC-PRO-DEMON
MacSpice seems a pretty good alternative to MI-Sugar.. but I don't really have anything advanced enough to run through it...

J
MAC-PRO-DEMON is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2009, 02:49 PM   #19
farhadtheruler
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2009
i looked at MacSpice, but i dont think it does what i need it to, plus, i can't use the command interface

i am looking for something that would enable me to use IC chips (7476N, 7432...)

is there a program that does that?
farhadtheruler is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2009, 10:20 AM   #20
easybe
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Find MI-SUGAR here: http://www.kulfx.com/index.php?secti...s&item=misugar

Easy.
easybe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2010, 02:51 PM   #21
SilentWarrior
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
I tryed mi-sugar but all i get is a textbox with commands (i just started messing around with eletronics).

I wanted something that could output this, or similar :



So you could actually experiment stuff and see how things work in a more hands-on approach.

ftw
SilentWarrior is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2010, 10:52 PM   #22
KiwiLee
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Wellington, NZ
SilentWarrior... Whats that screenshot from? Looks just what i am looking for too, and even if it means running on XP then so be it.. What is that please?
__________________
Lee
New Zealand iPhone User
KiwiLee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2011, 06:18 AM   #23
kgiann78
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Athens, Greece
Quote:
Originally Posted by mduser63 View Post
I first installed MI-SUGAR quite a while back. Couldn't really get it to work, so I kind of forgot about it and just continued to use PSpice on my PC. I revisited MI-SUGAR a couple months back and actually spent an hour or so figuring it out, and I've grown to really like it. It can definitely be improved, but right now its only version 0.57, and for being relatively unfinished, it's very impressive. Haven't tried QUCS, I just found out about it the other day.

I'm actually just starting to learn Objective-C and planning to learn Cocoa once I get Objective-C down OK. The thing that motivated me to do that is a desire to improve MI-SUGAR (besides having wanted to learn to program for a long time).

If you're looking for Verilog software, there's a program out there called IVIonOSX or something similar. It's really not well finished, but I have successfully used it in combination with the Icarus open source command line Verilog compiler to simulate somewhat complex Verilog designs. I haven't found a schematic->Verilog app like you can get for the PC, but I really don't feel that such a thing is particularly useful. Verilog is only really powerful when you write it in text form like you'd write a program.
Hey mduser63, have you seen kulfx.com? Somebody took your words and is trying to evolve mi-sugar! It's new name will be Volta... Tell me that is you that is working on this project!!!

@KiwiLee this should be from pSpice (I guess only available for Windows...)

Last edited by angelwatt; Feb 15, 2011 at 02:48 PM. Reason: post merge
kgiann78 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2011, 10:02 AM   #24
CylonGlitch
macrumors 68030
 
CylonGlitch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: SoCal
Quote:
Originally Posted by LtRammstein View Post
Which of these programs is closer to a Xilinx environment?

Steve
Steve, Nothing is like the Xilinx environment. I would love for Modelsim to be ported but I don't see that happening any time soon; in fact, never. Modelsim hasn't changed in 10 years, I seriously don't think that they are doing any real development on it.

Actel released their IDE for Unix but nothing specifically for OSX. I'm a bit disappointed in this, but I guess that's par for the course.

I do run all the Xilinx and Actel tools in a VMWare machine, it works fine that way just not as fast as it could be. Besides, I'm sure that if they brought the tools to OSX they would still have the same issues and crappy interface instead of Macafying them.
__________________
Last edited by CylonGlitch : Tomorrow at 37:05 AM.
MRoogle
CylonGlitch is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2011, 03:28 PM   #25
erikkadeb
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2011
use parallels

I am implementing Multisim with Parallels, Windows XP. let you know how it works
erikkadeb is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
mac to windows and ten years later back to Mac, need some alternative app suggestions debudebu Mac Applications and Mac App Store 1 Apr 5, 2014 03:53 PM
Tagalicious old version or something similar eimaizwoo2 iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 0 Feb 1, 2014 12:25 PM
TuneUp Utilities - Something similar for Mac? ontrack31 MacBook Pro 3 Oct 7, 2012 11:02 AM
Mac App Store version of Quake 4 on a PowerPC Mac? Jethryn Freyman PowerPC Macs 8 Oct 2, 2012 08:03 PM
VSS or similar technology for Mac?? dfatmr Community Discussion 0 Sep 10, 2012 03:46 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:10 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC