Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Along with his recent research note addressing Apple's notebook launch plans, KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo has also published a note examining Apple's iPad prospects.

In particular, Kuo looks to the iPad mini as the future of the company's iPad portfolio, but with Apple's efforts to bring a Retina display to the device said to be pushing a launch back to the fourth quarter of this year, he suggests that Apple may be looking at a lower-priced iPad mini.
Prior to iPad mini 2 launch, Apple might roll out a more affordable iPad mini to compete with Android products. To cut costs, Apple might push for lower component prices, use a more advanced process to produce the A5 processor, simplify metal casing production, remove the rear camera, cut storage to 8GB and find more component suppliers to lower costs. We think this cheaper iPad mini retail for US$199~249.
Kuo does not believe that such a device would offer a significant boost to Apple's overall iPad sales, but it could help stave off erosion at the low end of the market at the hands of cheaper Android-based tablets.

ipad_mini_white_side-800x109.jpg
The $199-$249 price range is one that many potential customers had hoped Apple would be able to hit with the original iPad mini, but the company surprised many by introducing the iPad mini starting at $329. Even at that pricing, Apple has noted a number of times that the iPad mini's profit margins are below the company average.

Apple is said to be pursuing a similar strategy for the iPhone, working on a lower-cost iPhone with a polycarbonate shell rumored for launch later this year.

Overall, Kuo sees relatively small sales growth for the iPad in 2013, with the full-size iPad being cannibalized by the popular iPad mini and the upgraded iPad mini with Retina display not debuting until late in the year.

With Android tablets also beginning to gain footholds in some markets and driving Apple's estimated share of the tablet market below 50% in recent quarters, Kuo expects that Apple will remain competitive but see relatively slow growth until the launch of the Retina iPad mini.

Article Link: Apple Considering Lower-Priced iPad Mini at $199-$249?

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
iPad sales were up 65% YoY in the 1st quarter, so price apparently isn't an issue.

darwynn

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2010
Apple will probably just continue selling the previous generation mini at a reduced price when the new ones are released.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
If it sells for $229 it will be Apple's best selling iPad. Sales of the full size will fall drastically, IMHO. People will buy because of price.

Virtualball

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2006
Overall, Kuo sees relatively small sales growth for the iPad in 2013, with the full-size iPad being cannibalized by the popular iPad mini and the upgraded iPad mini with Retina display not debuting until late in the year

Huh? Did he not see the quarterly results? While iPad Minis definitely ate into the company's profit margins and iPad sales, the device sales were up nearly 66% yoy!

komodrone

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2011
I'm going to thread crap and ask about the Mac Pros. Hay Ming-Chi, plz2tell us about mac pros. kthx

SPEEDwithJJ

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2008
For me, cheaper is always preferable (I admit I'm a cheapskate). If the iPad mini sells for $199, I'll be in for a few. :D

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
I think that this would make sense if it also maybe represented an increase in margin.

Make a super price optimized version of the Mini for say $249, and then have the 'premium' retina version at say $349.

Candlelight

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
New Zealand
Apple has noted a number of times that the iPad mini's profit margins are below the company average.

Considering most people on here who want a Mini are simply waiting for a retina version, I'm not surprised by this statement.

drblank

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2006
If Apple does anything, they might offer a replacement iPad mini with Retina Display and then come out with a standard memory version of the iPad mini and drop the price much like what Apple did with the iPad 2 and iPad 4. That's something I can see. They've recouped their R&D from the first two quarters in sales, and now they can just offer it as their lower cost model. How much? I have no idea, I guess it depends on how much RAM.

aheying7

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2012
There is absolutely no way they would sell an 8GB device again. My sisters's iPhone 4 fills up with the size of iOS alone and like 2 apps.

And I don't think they would take out a rear camera.

The current iPad mini will stick around for a long time at a lower price point....just like the iPad 2.

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
I think its far more likely they'd drop the iPod Touch price to $199 before any 7" device hits that price point.

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
Retina mini will go for $299 and the old mini for $199-229. That's how I see this going down. This leaves the iPod touch in a weird spot though. I could actually see it dying this year or next. The iPad mini can serve as the gateway drug at this point.

brendu

Cancelled
Apr 23, 2009
This makes no sense. This is not something that I see apple doing. No rear camera?? Come on man.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
Retina mini will go for $299 and the old mini for $199-229. That's how I see this going down. This leaves the iPod touch in a weird spot though. I could actually see it dying this year or next. The iPad mini can serve as the gateway drug at this point.

I would guess retina Mini at the current price of $329 if they can possibly hold that price point. Apple usually doesn't increase the price, they add new features for the same price.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
Current
iPad mini (16GB Wi-Fi) = $329

iPad mini 2 (non-Retina display) announced
iPad mini (16GB Wi-Fi) = $229
iPad mini 2 (16GB Wi-Fi) = $329

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
So is he basing this on supply chain information or just guessing what he think Apple might do? I'm getting sick of all these analysts brain dumps now being equated to news/rumor. :rolleyes:

reiggin

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2003
Concord, NC
In other news, Mercedes is considering a compact econo sedan to compete with Kia and Rolex is considering a line of slap watches.

Ted13

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2003
NYC
If it sells for $229 it will be Apple's best selling iPad. Sales of the full size will fall drastically, IMHO. People will buy because of price.

The iPad Mini at its current prices is already the best selling Mini. This may accelerate those sales, but will change nothing in the overall trend vs. the full sized Mini

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.