Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Old Apr 29, 2013, 12:42 PM   #1
LIVEFRMNYC
macrumors 68030

Anyone else getting impatient [waiting for the 32gb S4]?

I'm getting impatient waiting for the 32gb S4. AT&T has confirmed the 32gb, but who knows how long that will be. I'll probably wait 3 more weeks at the most, if I don't hear any confirmation on a date, I'll just pick up a 16gb. I've done just fine with 16gb and 64gb card on my S3, but I really wanted 32gb this time as I plan to keep the phone for at least close to two years.
LIVEFRMNYC is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2013, 12:47 PM   #2
AutoUnion39
macrumors 68020

You're not the only one lol. I have my upgrade waiting. I want this now
Old Apr 29, 2013, 02:51 PM   #3
LIVEFRMNYC
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion39 View Post
You're not the only one lol. I have my upgrade waiting. I want this now
How long you plan on waiting?
Old Apr 29, 2013, 02:52 PM   #4
onthecouchagain
Banned

I read that usable space on the 16GB is 9-ish GBs. That's quite little, but there's expandable storage, so that's nice.
onthecouchagain is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2013, 03:10 PM   #5
LIVEFRMNYC
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthecouchagain View Post
I read that usable space on the 16GB is 9-ish GBs. That's quite little, but there's expandable storage, so that's nice.
On the 16gb S3 it's about 12gb. 12gb down to 9gb on the S4 is a huge difference. I guess all those new features add up to 3gb more.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 03:14 PM   #6
onthecouchagain
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIVEFRMNYC View Post
On the 16gb S3 it's about 12gb. 12gb down to 9gb on the S4 is a huge difference. I guess all those new features add up to 3gb more.
Aye. Here it is from Android Police's S4 review:

"Storage: 9.6GB of usable internal storage. OK, so you get a microSD card slot, and that's great and all, but I can't put apps or games (or Google Music, or Play Movies, or some other content-heavy services) on that, and there's no sign of an impending 32GB S4 coming to the US. What gives, Samsung?"
onthecouchagain is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2013, 03:16 PM   #7
johnjefferson
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthecouchagain View Post
Aye. Here it is from Android Police's S4 review:

"Storage: 9.6GB of usable internal storage. OK, so you get a microSD card slot, and that's great and all, but I can't put apps or games (or Google Music, or Play Movies, or some other content-heavy services) on that, and there's no sign of an impending 32GB S4 coming to the US. What gives, Samsung?"
Yes you can put apps and games on a card. App2sd
johnjefferson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2013, 03:29 PM   #8
AutoUnion39
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIVEFRMNYC View Post
How long you plan on waiting?
I asked the local AT&T stores here in Boston. They expect them in the next few weeks. I'll give it like 2 weeks. If that doesn't work, I'll just go to Wal-Mart and pick up the 16gb S4 for $168
Old Apr 29, 2013, 07:14 PM   #9
pdauser92
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjefferson View Post
Yes you can put apps and games on a card. App2sd
As far as I'm aware, App2sd doesn't work on ICS or JB.
pdauser92 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2013, 10:52 PM   #10
johnjefferson
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdauser92 View Post
As far as I'm aware, App2sd doesn't work on ICS or JB.
Looks like you might be right. Says on XDA Google stopped allowing it starting on 4.1. Oh we'll, another reason I'm not missing leaving Android. Between Google, the manufacturers and the carriers, its getting awfully limited these days on Android. I will still never forgive them for taking out the native tethering in non Nexus devices.
johnjefferson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2013, 01:32 AM   #11
blackhand1001
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Looks like you might be right. Says on XDA Google stopped allowing it starting on 4.1. Oh we'll, another reason I'm not missing leaving Android. Between Google, the manufacturers and the carriers, its getting awfully limited these days on Android. I will still never forgive them for taking out the native tethering in non Nexus devices.
The tethering decision was more likely the carrier and not Google.
blackhand1001 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2013, 03:40 AM   #12
daneoni
macrumors G4

So what exactly is the SDCard slot for if you can't put apps, music, games or videos on them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhand1001 View Post
The tethering decision was more likely the carrier and not Google.
His point is still valid though.

Quote:
Old Apr 30, 2013, 05:35 AM   #13
pdauser92
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by daneoni View Post
So what exactly is the SDCard slot for if you can't put apps, music, games or videos on them?

SD cards are intended to be used mainly for media files, i.e. music or video. There has been a lot of misinformation spread online about the advantages of having an SDCard slot. If you have a large music/video collection and want to have it with you at all times then that would be a good reason for insisting upon being able to use SD cards in your device. Otherwise in daily use plenty of onboard memory is preferable as it can be used to store any kind of file or app. Also, some games are 1GB+, and will only install to internal memory.

Last edited by pdauser92; Apr 30, 2013 at 06:07 AM.
pdauser92 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2013, 05:14 PM   #14
LIVEFRMNYC
macrumors 68030

I never tested this and wonder how true it is. This is about the S3, but should apply to the S4 as well if the comment is correct.

http://www.modaco.com/topic/355282-c...ps-to-sd-card/

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelfighter
don't cry, samsung did this on purpose and it is a very good thing. You all are very very wrong and take the wrong conclusions. Did one of you actually put the main memory 16GB to the max and saw what happened after that??? Noooooooooo, just bashing on Samsung without knowing that if the main memory is full, it will automaitically store your data to the external SD card. The option to choose to put pictures, video and music right away on the external card is because you can take it out and use it in another device. Apps are mostly device specific. The main memory will also be the fastest to run data from it, so Samsung made the right decision to put everything on the main memory first

So crying babies, wipe your tears. Apps2SD is not a neccessity anymore, Samsung renovates stuff, so' don't cry if you have only 1 kb of your main memory left... run to buy a Sandisk micro Sd at your local store and you will be fine. You don't have to root your Sammy
Old Apr 30, 2013, 05:18 PM   #15
The Game 161
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by daneoni View Post

You can put it on music and videos...
The Game 161 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2013, 06:43 PM   #16
mobilebuddha
macrumors regular

does anyone know if the galaxy s4 would support 128GB microsd cards, whenever they get released?
mobilebuddha is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2013, 08:07 PM   #17
b166er
macrumors 68020

I'd like a 32 also, but ATT wasn't able to give me any kind of window. I really don't like using external storage.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 08:28 PM   #18
KentuckyHouse
macrumors 68020

Send a message via ICQ to KentuckyHouse
I was going to go ahead and get the 16gb version, but I'm being held over nicely by the LGOG I picked up used, so I may wait for the 32gb to show up now.
KentuckyHouse is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices