Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video

Old Apr 29, 2013, 02:23 PM   #1
monkeybagel
macrumors 6502a

New to video editing - need guidence in DVD creation.

Hi All,

I was looking to do some tinkering on the side to toss together a decent DVD for my own use to play in my car. The car I have has an OEM navigation and DVD/DL-Video playback capability. It is in the dash of the car, so it is not a rear seat entertainment unit.

I have never done much at all in the area of video editing with the exception of cropping a video and perhaps adding a sound track in iMovie for personal entertainment.

I really love music and own several concert DVDs, which is what the DVD player is used for. I obviously don't "watch" them while driving, but may when at a stop glance down at it.

What is the best way to author a DVD to take the tracks from various sources (pressed DVDs, perhaps YT), divide them up into chapters, and compile the DVD? I have the iLife 11 Suite but I feel as if I will need more powerful software to make it look decent.

Anyone have any suggestions on where to get started?

BTW, I own iLife '11 and Toast 10, but it doesn't seem like these applications do Chapter splitting well? I assume that I will need to get all the video in the correct format using Handbrake, etc., the author the DVD from there. What would be a good application to do the DVD Authoring? Does FCPX perform any of these functions?

Thank you.

Last edited by monkeybagel; Apr 29, 2013 at 10:44 PM.
monkeybagel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2013, 03:05 PM   #2
monkeybagel
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeybagel View Post
Hi All,

I was looking to do some tinkering on the side to toss together a decent DVD for my own use to play in my car. The car I have has an OEM navigation and DVD/DL-Video playback capability. It is in the dash of the car, so it is not a rear seat entertainment unit.

I have never done much at all in the area of video editing with the exception of cropping a video and perhaps adding a sound track in iMovie for personal entertainment.

I really love music and own several concert DVDs, which is what the DVD player is used for. I obviously don't "watch" them while driving, but may when at a stop glance down at it.

What is the best way to author a DVD to take the tracks from various sources (pressed DVDs, perhaps YT), divide them up into chapters, and compile the DVD? I have the iLife 11 Suite but I feel as if I will need more powerful software to make it look decent.

Anyone have any suggestions on where to get started?

BTW, I own iLife '11 and Toast 10, but it doesn't seem like these applications do Chapter splitting well? I assume that I will need to get all the video in the correct format using Handbrake, etc., the author the DVD from there. What would be a good application to do the DVD Authoring? Does FCPX perform any of these functions?

Thank you.

Is this perhaps the wrong area of the forum to ask such questions? Should it be moved to a better suited section? Thank you.
Old May 1, 2013, 07:00 AM   #3
daybreak
macrumors 6502a

I would recommend you learn or study the workings of iMovie and FCP-X.
This will give you a idea.
Is no good asking unless you understand your software.
daybreak is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2013, 02:11 AM   #4
monkeybagel
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by daybreak View Post
I would recommend you learn or study the workings of iMovie and FCP-X.
This will give you a idea.
Is no good asking unless you understand your software.
I have tried to use iMovie however it doesn't seem to divide the chapters correctly. I have downloaded the FCPX trial to try that out before I make the investment in it. So far it seems pretty impressive.

Toast seemed to be very limited on making chapters correctly.
Old May 4, 2013, 10:58 AM   #5
Dave Braine
macrumors 68020

Quote:
BTW, I own iLife '11 and Toast 10, but it doesn't seem like these applications do Chapter splitting well?
If you have iMovie11, it does Chapter Markers very well. You need to enable "Show Advanced Tools" in iMovie Preferences>General, and the button for Chapter Markers will be just to the left of the Preview window. Just drag and drop markers where you want them.

Failing that, depending on the filetype of your video clips, you may be able to just drag and drop them into your DVD program, and they will automatically show as separate items in the DVD's menu.

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video