Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mKonyi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 29, 2013
Hey everyone,

I'm using a late 2009, 27-inch iMac running 10.8.3.

I have been working on mastering an album recently and as part of testing the mix on different speaker systems, I decided to run it through my Mac's internal output into a pair of earbuds. I noticed a massively more muffled sound than what I had been previously hearing on these earbuds when I ran them from my external audio interface, a Motu 8282mk3 firewire.

It sounds almost as if there is large EQ boost in the low, low-mid range that is just muddying up everything. This is apparent when playing through quicktime, preview in finder, iTunes and any other application. No matter the source material, all is affected equally.

Through looking at various threads others have made, I've tried several different things such as my 'audio-midi' settings, resetting PRAM, checking out my iTunes EQ settings (though of course the problem is not isolated to iTunes). I'm not sure when this began as I rarely, if ever, listen through the iMac output, especially in headphones.

I greatly appreciate you all being here for those who need assistance, I can't count the amount of times my problems have been solved through reading this forum. Please know there are so many like myself who have benefitted so greatly from your contributions.

Any suggestions are welcome!

With love,
Max.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.