Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Senseotech

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 23, 2009
NC
I've run into an issue within the last week that for the life of my I can't figure out. Currently, whenever I try to view a PDF file in safari (clicking a link directly to a PDF for example), I end up with a blank page. The weird part is that PDF's that appear in a frame within a page load just fine, but as soon as I right click the PDF and open it in a new tab or window, the resulting tab/window is blank. I can right click the link an download them just fine, and Preview loads all PDF's perfectly, but for whatever reason, a directly linked PDF won't display in Safari. This is all on the latest version of 10.8 and Safari, and I don't have anything installed that would interfere, such as Adobe Reader or Acrobat.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I've run into an issue within the last week that for the life of my I can't figure out. Currently, whenever I try to view a PDF file in safari (clicking a link directly to a PDF for example), I end up with a blank page. The weird part is that PDF's that appear in a frame within a page load just fine, but as soon as I right click the PDF and open it in a new tab or window, the resulting tab/window is blank. I can right click the link an download them just fine, and Preview loads all PDF's perfectly, but for whatever reason, a directly linked PDF won't display in Safari. This is all on the latest version of 10.8 and Safari, and I don't have anything installed that would interfere, such as Adobe Reader or Acrobat.
I've had similar issues opening PDFs in Safari, even on Leopard and Snow Leopard. Either they load slow, don't load at all, or don't allow searching, etc. if they do open. I've long since decided to never open PDFs in Safari, but always download and use Preview. Much faster and more capable.

Senseotech

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 23, 2009
NC
I've had similar issues opening PDFs in Safari, even on Leopard and Snow Leopard. Either they load slow, don't load at all, or don't allow searching, etc. if they do open. I've long since decided to never open PDFs in Safari, but always download and use Preview. Much faster and more capable.

Aside from this, I've never had issues with PDFs in Safari, and the simplicity of not having to leave the browser far outweighs any missing capabilities (if I need to do something I can't I can always hit that big ole' Preview button). So, just dealing with it isn't really a valid solution; I'd really like to restore the functionality I had once upon a time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.