Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TBONE72

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 25, 2007
Hi all,

I just want to confirm what I think I am understanding from reading on the forum. Are the new T-Mobile/AT&T model phones unlocked?

Reason for asking: I'm on AT&T. I had my iPhone 5 unlocked successfully by UnlockFusion last Sept. I had a hardware issue recently with my phone and the Genius Bar swapped it out yesterday. I now have the newer T-Mobile/AT&T GSM iPhone (FH1D). After getting home and restoring it, I no longer get the 'Congrats...your phone is unlocked message' like I used to in iTunes. I have heard conflicting things that if you get your phone replaced that the unlock will transfer to the new phone. I have seen some say yes, some say no. I called Apple support and they said based on the serial number I gave them that the phone is a unlocked GSM model. I don't have a T-Mobile nano SIM to test it out.

So, can anyone clear this up for me?

viperGTS

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2010
My original 4S I unlocked with eBay (the IMEI unlock), got it swapped, and it was still unlocked. The status transfers from phone to phone, even if you replace the phone multiple times (like I did, currently on my 5th 4S :D).

TBONE72

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 25, 2007
My original 4S I unlocked with eBay (the IMEI unlock), got it swapped, and it was still unlocked. The status transfers from phone to phone, even if you replace the phone multiple times (like I did, currently on my 5th 4S :D).

Do you still get the congrats message in iTunes after a restore?

viperGTS

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2010

Not that I remember, but I don't think so. I wouldn't worry too much, you could try looking up your IMEI on a website to determine the status of whether or not your phone is unlocked.

TBONE72

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 25, 2007
Not that I remember, but I don't think so. I wouldn't worry too much, you could try looking up your IMEI on a website to determine the status of whether or not your phone is unlocked.

Thanks for the info Viper! I don't trust those IMEI sites. On my old phone those sites would still report mine as locked. Unless you know of a reputable one.

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012

i bought an AT&T iPhone 5 in November (paid full price) to use on T-Mobile, when ever i would restore that one it would show me the your iphone is unlocked screen. Recently i had it replaced and received an AWS iPhone. It no longer says that it is unlocked when i restore but i am currently using it on the T-Mobile network so it is unlocked. It looks like the unlock status transfers with your phone when the switch out the serials just like the applecare/applecare+ switches over to the replacement phone. Since it said your phone phone was unlocked in their system they probably gave you a factory unlocked phone as a replacement.

TBONE72

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 25, 2007
i bought an AT&T iPhone 5 in November (paid full price) to use on T-Mobile, when ever i would restore that one it would show me the your iphone is unlocked screen. Recently i had it replaced and received an AWS iPhone. It no longer says that it is unlocked when i restore but i am currently using it on the T-Mobile network so it is unlocked. It looks like the unlock status transfers with your phone when the switch out the serials just like the applecare/applecare+ switches over to the replacement phone. Since it said your phone phone was unlocked in their system they probably gave you a factory unlocked phone as a replacement.

Great! This is good to hear! I'm traveling to the Czech Republic this summer and wanted to use a in-country pre-paid SIM while I'm there. Thanks for the info!

Beenblacklisted

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2011
Miami,Fl
if you buy the dicounted one from tmobile it will be locked to tmobile usa network

If you buy from apple store at 649 plus tax it will be unlocked

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.