Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Apr 30, 2013, 03:18 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

AT&T Announces Upgrade to In-Store Smartphone Trade-In Program

AT&T has announced an upgrade to its in-store smartphone trade-in program. The plan will give an instant credit of at least $100 for any smartphone that is less than three years old, with more recent and valuable phones receiving larger credits.

The credits are good for the purchase any AT&T smartphone or accessories, meaning someone could trade in an older Android smartphone for a new iPhone 4S, or half-price on a 16GB iPhone 5.
Quote:
Beginning May 1, consumers who trade in their current smartphone to AT&T* will be eligible to receive at least $100 off the purchase of a new smartphone, including the new Samsung Galaxy® S 4, BlackBerry® Z10 or 32 GB HTC One®. These devices are normally $199.99 with a qualifying two-year agreement but, with this limited time promotion, they will be available for $99.99.

This promotion applies to any smartphone AT&T sells, and gives customers access to the latest devices at a fraction of the cost or, in the case of smartphones priced under $99.99, for free.
The $100 promotion is for a limited time, though AT&T has not specified when it will end.

Article Link: AT&T Announces Upgrade to In-Store Smartphone Trade-In Program
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2013, 03:30 PM   #2
SPNarwhal
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to SPNarwhal
I wonder what they do with all their trade in phones.
Usually things like this are pretty not worth it, but convenience factor to people is important sometimes.

I wonder if this will effect them in a good or bad way, seeing as if they were to somehow sell the phones at a cheaper rate as used, and off contract, that might cut into their profits for new phones, or might be the pusher for those on the fence.

I'd imagine they would sell indirectly though, not through AT&T themselves, maybe to another company or in more so of a 3rd party fashion.

The only potential downside is that 3 year old android phones I don't think retain a value of 100, but at the same time it does get people to re-upgrade, so that's where it's at anyway for the most part.

Hmm hmm hmm
SPNarwhal is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2013, 03:33 PM   #3
Dwalls90
macrumors 68040

Feeling the heat from Tmobile ?
Old Apr 30, 2013, 03:36 PM   #4
brianc34
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwalls90 View Post
My thoughts too. My first reaction was, "ATTs response to t-mobile?"
brianc34 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2013, 03:46 PM   #5
Mlrollin91
macrumors 68000

How is this any different than what they have been doing already?
Back in February I upgraded to an iPhone 5 because my 4S broke and they gave me $210 off the cost of my iPhone 5 on a visa prepaid card which could immediately be applied to the balance.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 03:52 PM   #6
Ajones330
macrumors 6502

Nothing new about this, the trade in program has been going on and the only thing is the guaranteed $100 for any phone less that 3 yrs old. Seems they would do more advertising on tv...

13" MBP l 13" MB l iPhone 5S Gold Jailbroken 64GB l
Ajones330 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2013, 03:55 PM   #7
Mad Mac Maniac
macrumors 68040

When they say 3 year old phone, is that 3 years from purchase date (and subsequent activation from at&t?? Because the iPhone 3GS was released July of 2009 but were sold until October of 2012 so hypothetically a person could bring an iPhone 3GS to AT&T in October of 2015 and get $100 for a phone that was released over 6 years prior
Old Apr 30, 2013, 03:57 PM   #8
KieranDotW
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
Beginning May 1, consumers who trade in their current smartphone to AT&T* will be eligible to receive at least $100 off the purchase of a new smartphone, including the new Samsung Galaxy® S 4, BlackBerry® Z10 or 32 GB HTC One®.
I hate how carriers never advertise the iPhone in their offers. It's like they're being bribed specifically to leave it out.
KieranDotW is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2013, 04:02 PM   #9
shanmugam
macrumors 68020

Decent unlock policy

ATT should have decent unlock policy on the iPhones (very strict even for the customers who are with them long time).

Jumped to t-mobile, no thanks ATT!
shanmugam is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2013, 04:09 PM   #10
fraggot
macrumors 6502

Funny that this was just posted, I just got a text from Best Buy cause that's where I bought my 4S almost 2 years ago and they'll give me a $200 gift card for my phone that can be used towards a new one.
fraggot is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2013, 04:13 PM   #11
Lylyluvda916
macrumors member

Or you can keep your phone and unlock it and sell it online.

Unlocked gsm iPhones and some unlocked android phone have great resell value. You can even use it on many prepaid companies and hand it down to a teenage child and not have to worry about overages.
Lylyluvda916 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2013, 04:32 PM   #12
QCassidy352
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mac Maniac View Post
When they say 3 year old phone, is that 3 years from purchase date (and subsequent activation from at&t?? Because the iPhone 3GS was released July of 2009 but were sold until October of 2012 so hypothetically a person could bring an iPhone 3GS to AT&T in October of 2015 and get $100 for a phone that was released over 6 years prior

Gotta be from purchase date. They can't expect you to know when a models was released. Well I guess they could, but it'd make a mockery of the program.

...which means that's probably exactly what AT&T is doing. ;-)
QCassidy352 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2013, 05:30 PM   #13
Xenomorph
macrumors 6502a

...so, give them a phone that could have cost up to $849 and get a sweet "$100 off" coupon, followed by years of them sh*****g down your throat with their terrible prices.

What a deal!
Xenomorph is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2013, 06:06 PM   #14
samcraig
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by KieranDotW View Post
I hate how carriers never advertise the iPhone in their offers. It's like they're being bribed specifically to leave it out.
It's possible that Apple's contract with ATT and other carriers forbid them to use Apple's name in an ad unless authorized - and it's possible that other manufacturers have no - or looser restrictions.
samcraig is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2013, 06:15 PM   #15
Treq
macrumors 6502

Can I put the $100 towards the early termination fee?...
Treq is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2013, 07:13 PM   #16
CEmajr
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwalls90 View Post
Exactly. Things are changing already.
CEmajr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2013, 08:02 PM   #17
ricktat
macrumors regular

So I read this as any brand of smartphone.

I have an HTC One Virgin mobile that I bought for $49 around Christmas for no reason..

Good now for $100
ricktat is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2013, 10:00 PM   #18
JoeIsInTheCloud
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
...meaning someone could trade in an older Android smartphone for a new iPhone 4S, or half-price on a 16GB iPhone 5.
Oh, hey, even trade in their iPhone 5 for the new Blackberry Q10 when it becomes available, as I plan to do. Keeping everything else Apple, but switching back to a physical keyboard, something for which I've ached.
JoeIsInTheCloud is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2013, 10:33 PM   #19
Ideanj
macrumors newbie

This is the way it works.

1) it has to be 3-yrs from the original phone purchase, not the models release date.

2) prior to this promotion if I traded in an old 3GS the value would have been ~$30. With this new promotion it's bumped up to a minimum of $100 whereas before you would ONLY get $30.

3) if your phones value is higher then $100 then of course you will receive that value instead of the $100 that is advertised. I.E. iphone 5 trade in value is ~$280, you would get the $280 instead of the $100.

Simple as that. Thank you AT&T!
Ideanj is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2013, 07:02 AM   #20
Four oF NINE
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ideanj View Post
This is the way it works.

1) it has to be 3-yrs from the original phone purchase, not the models release date.

2) prior to this promotion if I traded in an old 3GS the value would have been ~$30. With this new promotion it's bumped up to a minimum of $100 whereas before you would ONLY get $30.

3) if your phones value is higher then $100 then of course you will receive that value instead of the $100 that is advertised. I.E. iphone 5 trade in value is ~$280, you would get the $280 instead of the $100.

Simple as that. Thank you AT&T!
Are there upgrades for additional storage? What about a white iPhone 4S with 64 gb storage?
Four oF NINE is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2013, 07:43 AM   #21
KentuckyHouse
macrumors 68020

Send a message via ICQ to KentuckyHouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lylyluvda916 View Post
Or you can keep your phone and unlock it and sell it online.

Unlocked gsm iPhones and some unlocked android phone have great resell value. You can even use it on many prepaid companies and hand it down to a teenage child and not have to worry about overages.
This.

I just checked to see what the value of my two Android phones would be...pssh.

LG Optimus G 16gb: $100
Samsung Galaxy S3: $128

Really, AT&T? I could easily sell the S3 for $300. Easily. And the Optimus G would go for between $250-$300.

And here's a real kicker...my 16gb iPhone 5?

$272

That's laughable!

The only way this program is worth anything is if you have an old phone that's worth less than $100 on the open market, then at least you'll get more than it's worth.

This program is completely worthless, but people will get suckered in by thinking they're getting a great deal.
Old May 1, 2013, 08:14 AM   #22
RJCP
macrumors 6502

Compared to the deals we have on the uk, this is rather crap... I mean, I was 8 months into a 4S contract and for a limited time, EE offered upgrades into 4G handsets for 25£, trading in your old phone. I got my 5 for 25£.
Couldn't be happier.
RJCP is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2013, 08:36 AM   #23
TC25
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KentuckyHouse View Post
This.

I just checked to see what the value of my two Android phones would be...pssh.

LG Optimus G 16gb: $100
Samsung Galaxy S3: $128

Really, AT&T? I could easily sell the S3 for $300. Easily. And the Optimus G would go for between $250-$300.

And here's a real kicker...my 16gb iPhone 5?

$272

That's laughable!

The only way this program is worth anything is if you have an old phone that's worth less than $100 on the open market, then at least you'll get more than it's worth.

This program is completely worthless, but people will get suckered in by thinking they're getting a great deal.
I agree - Everyone but you is too stupid to understand the value of their old smartphone.

Or maybe people do not want to go to the trouble of selling their old phone on eBay or CL.

Jeez, the arrogance of some people.

Last edited by TC25; May 1, 2013 at 08:47 AM.
TC25 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2013, 09:10 AM   #24
KentuckyHouse
macrumors 68020

Send a message via ICQ to KentuckyHouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by TC25 View Post
I agree - Everyone but you is too stupid to understand the value of their old smartphone.

Or maybe people do not want to go to the trouble of selling their old phone on eBay or CL.

Jeez, the arrogance of some people.
How is that arrogance? Pointing out that it's highway robbery? Maybe you need to check the attitude at the door.

BTW, there are other places to sell/buy cell phones safely from the comfort of your own living room. Personally I never use CL/eBay to sell and buy. The likelihood that you'll end up with a blacklisted device is just too great.
Old May 1, 2013, 09:20 AM   #25
TC25
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KentuckyHouse View Post
How is that arrogance?
The following statement, which clearly implies there can be no good reason for anyone accepting ATTs offer.

"This program is completely worthless, but people will get suckered in by thinking they're getting a great deal. "
TC25 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion