Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

att.jpg
AT&T has announced an upgrade to its in-store smartphone trade-in program. The plan will give an instant credit of at least $100 for any smartphone that is less than three years old, with more recent and valuable phones receiving larger credits.

The credits are good for the purchase any AT&T smartphone or accessories, meaning someone could trade in an older Android smartphone for a new iPhone 4S, or half-price on a 16GB iPhone 5.
Beginning May 1, consumers who trade in their current smartphone to AT&T* will be eligible to receive at least $100 off the purchase of a new smartphone, including the new Samsung Galaxy® S 4, BlackBerry® Z10 or 32 GB HTC One®. These devices are normally $199.99 with a qualifying two-year agreement but, with this limited time promotion, they will be available for $99.99.

This promotion applies to any smartphone AT&T sells, and gives customers access to the latest devices at a fraction of the cost or, in the case of smartphones priced under $99.99, for free.
The $100 promotion is for a limited time, though AT&T has not specified when it will end.

Article Link: AT&T Announces Upgrade to In-Store Smartphone Trade-In Program

SPNarwhal

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2009
illinois
I wonder what they do with all their trade in phones.
Usually things like this are pretty not worth it, but convenience factor to people is important sometimes.

I wonder if this will effect them in a good or bad way, seeing as if they were to somehow sell the phones at a cheaper rate as used, and off contract, that might cut into their profits for new phones, or might be the pusher for those on the fence.

I'd imagine they would sell indirectly though, not through AT&T themselves, maybe to another company or in more so of a 3rd party fashion.

The only potential downside is that 3 year old android phones I don't think retain a value of 100, but at the same time it does get people to re-upgrade, so that's where it's at anyway for the most part.

Hmm hmm hmm

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
How is this any different than what they have been doing already?
Back in February I upgraded to an iPhone 5 because my 4S broke and they gave me $210 off the cost of my iPhone 5 on a visa prepaid card which could immediately be applied to the balance.

Ajones330

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2008
SEC Country
Nothing new about this, the trade in program has been going on and the only thing is the guaranteed $100 for any phone less that 3 yrs old. Seems they would do more advertising on tv...

When they say 3 year old phone, is that 3 years from purchase date (and subsequent activation from at&t?? Because the iPhone 3GS was released July of 2009 but were sold until October of 2012 so hypothetically a person could bring an iPhone 3GS to AT&T in October of 2015 and get $100 for a phone that was released over 6 years prior

KieranDotW

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
Canada
Beginning May 1, consumers who trade in their current smartphone to AT&T* will be eligible to receive at least $100 off the purchase of a new smartphone, including the new Samsung Galaxy® S 4, BlackBerry® Z10 or 32 GB HTC One®.

I hate how carriers never advertise the iPhone in their offers. It's like they're being bribed specifically to leave it out.

Shanpdx

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2008
Blazer town!
Decent unlock policy

ATT should have decent unlock policy on the iPhones (very strict even for the customers who are with them long time).

Jumped to t-mobile, no thanks ATT!

jebbe

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2009
Louisville, KY
Funny that this was just posted, I just got a text from Best Buy cause that's where I bought my 4S almost 2 years ago and they'll give me a $200 gift card for my phone that can be used towards a new one.

Lylyluvda916

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2012
Or you can keep your phone and unlock it and sell it online.

Unlocked gsm iPhones and some unlocked android phone have great resell value. You can even use it on many prepaid companies and hand it down to a teenage child and not have to worry about overages.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
When they say 3 year old phone, is that 3 years from purchase date (and subsequent activation from at&t?? Because the iPhone 3GS was released July of 2009 but were sold until October of 2012 so hypothetically a person could bring an iPhone 3GS to AT&T in October of 2015 and get $100 for a phone that was released over 6 years prior

Gotta be from purchase date. They can't expect you to know when a models was released. Well I guess they could, but it'd make a mockery of the program.

...which means that's probably exactly what AT&T is doing. ;-)

Xenomorph

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
St. Louis
...so, give them a phone that could have cost up to $849 and get a sweet "$100 off" coupon, followed by years of them sh*****g down your throat with their terrible prices.

What a deal!

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I hate how carriers never advertise the iPhone in their offers. It's like they're being bribed specifically to leave it out.

It's possible that Apple's contract with ATT and other carriers forbid them to use Apple's name in an ad unless authorized - and it's possible that other manufacturers have no - or looser restrictions.

ricktat

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2013
So I read this as any brand of smartphone.

I have an HTC One Virgin mobile that I bought for $49 around Christmas for no reason..

Good now for $100

JoeIsInTheCloud

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2013
...meaning someone could trade in an older Android smartphone for a new iPhone 4S, or half-price on a 16GB iPhone 5.

Oh, hey, even trade in their iPhone 5 for the new Blackberry Q10 when it becomes available, as I plan to do. Keeping everything else Apple, but switching back to a physical keyboard, something for which I've ached.

Ideanj

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2013
This is the way it works.

1) it has to be 3-yrs from the original phone purchase, not the models release date.

2) prior to this promotion if I traded in an old 3GS the value would have been ~$30. With this new promotion it's bumped up to a minimum of $100 whereas before you would ONLY get $30.

3) if your phones value is higher then $100 then of course you will receive that value instead of the $100 that is advertised. I.E. iphone 5 trade in value is ~$280, you would get the $280 instead of the $100.

Simple as that. Thank you AT&T!

Four oF NINE

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2011
Hell's Kitchen
This is the way it works.

1) it has to be 3-yrs from the original phone purchase, not the models release date.

2) prior to this promotion if I traded in an old 3GS the value would have been ~$30. With this new promotion it's bumped up to a minimum of $100 whereas before you would ONLY get $30.

3) if your phones value is higher then $100 then of course you will receive that value instead of the $100 that is advertised. I.E. iphone 5 trade in value is ~$280, you would get the $280 instead of the $100.

Simple as that. Thank you AT&T!

Are there upgrades for additional storage? What about a white iPhone 4S with 64 gb storage?

KentuckyHouse

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2010
Lexington, KY.
Or you can keep your phone and unlock it and sell it online.

Unlocked gsm iPhones and some unlocked android phone have great resell value. You can even use it on many prepaid companies and hand it down to a teenage child and not have to worry about overages.

This.

I just checked to see what the value of my two Android phones would be...pssh.

LG Optimus G 16gb: $100
Samsung Galaxy S3: $128

Really, AT&T? I could easily sell the S3 for $300. Easily. And the Optimus G would go for between $250-$300.

And here's a real kicker...my 16gb iPhone 5?

$272

That's laughable!

The only way this program is worth anything is if you have an old phone that's worth less than $100 on the open market, then at least you'll get more than it's worth.

This program is completely worthless, but people will get suckered in by thinking they're getting a great deal.

RJCP

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2011
Compared to the deals we have on the uk, this is rather crap... I mean, I was 8 months into a 4S contract and for a limited time, EE offered upgrades into 4G handsets for 25£, trading in your old phone. I got my 5 for 25£.
Couldn't be happier.

TC25

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2011
This.

I just checked to see what the value of my two Android phones would be...pssh.

LG Optimus G 16gb: $100
Samsung Galaxy S3: $128

Really, AT&T? I could easily sell the S3 for $300. Easily. And the Optimus G would go for between $250-$300.

And here's a real kicker...my 16gb iPhone 5?

$272

That's laughable!

The only way this program is worth anything is if you have an old phone that's worth less than $100 on the open market, then at least you'll get more than it's worth.

This program is completely worthless, but people will get suckered in by thinking they're getting a great deal.

I agree - Everyone but you is too stupid to understand the value of their old smartphone.

Or maybe people do not want to go to the trouble of selling their old phone on eBay or CL.

Jeez, the arrogance of some people. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

KentuckyHouse

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2010
Lexington, KY.
I agree - Everyone but you is too stupid to understand the value of their old smartphone.

Or maybe people do not want to go to the trouble of selling their old phone on eBay or CL.

Jeez, the arrogance of some people. :rolleyes:

How is that arrogance? Pointing out that it's highway robbery? Maybe you need to check the attitude at the door.

BTW, there are other places to sell/buy cell phones safely from the comfort of your own living room. Personally I never use CL/eBay to sell and buy. The likelihood that you'll end up with a blacklisted device is just too great.

TC25

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2011
How is that arrogance?

The following statement, which clearly implies there can be no good reason for anyone accepting ATTs offer.

"This program is completely worthless, but people will get suckered in by thinking they're getting a great deal. "

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.