Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Candlelight

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
New Zealand
I have the latest 27" iMac running 10.8.3 running Avid Media Composer 6.5.2 and it's giving us a few errors. That version of Avid is only certified for 10.8.2 at the moment and so I want to roll it back (preferably, otherwise it's half a day to get the suite back to full strength doing a full install).

The Time Machine utility is disabled on these machines, so it would have to be a manual roll back.

In fact these machines shipped with 10.8.3 anyway - it is even possible to roll them back to an OS the machine hasn't even seen?

Thanks in advance.

Nov 28, 2010
located
The late 2012 iMacs came with a special built of 10.8.2, thus rolling back would require a clean install with an installer for that version. Since that is no longer possible with current Macs, you might be out of luck.

I can be wrong though.

Btw, what errors does AMC give you then?

Candlelight

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
New Zealand
Just random media dropping offline, but looking on other forums we see others running 10.8.3 are ok but are using local storage, whereas we have an Isis.

It's fast looking like a clean install is looking to be the best option.

Thanks anyway. :)

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
It's fast looking like a clean install is looking to be the best option.

If you don't have the specific 10.8.2 installer for those computers saved somewhere, you're not going to be able to backdate. Apple supersedes the older versions of Mountain Lion whenever a new version ships, so the installer you download today will be 10.8.3.

alec6542

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2012
Yeah I found that out!

I'll be downloading a new version each time Apple release an update just to keep up! :)

What about formatting the entire internal hard drive, and then restoring via internet recovery? It's my understanding that true internet recovery ALWAYS restores the exact version of OS X that your machine shipped with. (by true I mean the thing where you see a spinning globe at boot up, and the machine boots directly from Apple's servers). I know for a fact it does on MacBook Pro's. Even though I have had OS X 10.8.3 installed recently, when I got my SSD recently I did a clean format and internet recovery restore, and it restored 10.7.5, which is what my Mac shipped with.

Candlelight

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
New Zealand
What about formatting the entire internal hard drive, and then restoring via internet recovery? It's my understanding that true internet recovery ALWAYS restores the exact version of OS X that your machine shipped with. (by true I mean the thing where you see a spinning globe at boot up, and the machine boots directly from Apple's servers). I know for a fact it does on MacBook Pro's. Even though I have had OS X 10.8.3 installed recently, when I got my SSD recently I did a clean format and internet recovery restore, and it restored 10.7.5, which is what my Mac shipped with.

Internet recovery only works with an OS purchased off the app store. Ours failed to qualify because these machines have never seen the internet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.