Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Old Apr 30, 2013, 04:06 PM   #1
zombiecakes
macrumors regular

disappearing HDD space

What could be causing a massive temporary decrease in HDD space?

When I do a reboot I have around 10gbs left on the OSX partition, but after a few days I end up with 1gb. If I reboot then it goes back to 10.

I mostly just use Chrome, along with lightweight apps like QT, VLC, iTunes. Quitting those apps doesnt free up much space. I also sleep the computer a lot.

Is there a way to tell what app is using up so much space? Or is there a bug that isnt deleting temporary files until restart?
zombiecakes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2013, 04:09 PM   #2
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombiecakes View Post

When I do a reboot I have around 10gbs left on the OSX partition, but after a few days I end up with 1gb. If I reboot then it goes back to 10.

I mostly just use Chrome, along with lightweight apps like QT, VLC, iTunes. Quitting those apps doesnt free up much space. I also sleep the computer a lot.

Is there a way to tell what app is using up so much space? Or is there a bug that isnt deleting temporary files until restart?
How much RAM do you have? Do you have significant page outs? Do you use Time Machine for backups?
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2013, 04:21 PM   #3
JohnDoe98
macrumors 68020

Quote:

I have the same issue. I think it is a bug in 10.8.3. Sometimes toggling the Time Machine backups on and off will give back a little bit of space since some of that is being used up in the local time machine backups, but there is still missing space beyond that that will only come back after a reboot. It's especially weird since I have 0 page outs (hence plenty of free RAM).

I've noticed it has to do with the VM size, it keeps swelling up and the HDD space shrinks proportionality. Upon reboot the VM is small again. So I guess there are some memory management issues.

Last edited by JohnDoe98; Apr 30, 2013 at 05:14 PM.
JohnDoe98 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2013, 06:54 PM   #4
zombiecakes
macrumors regular

4gbs, no time machine, never checked page outs
Old Apr 30, 2013, 08:16 PM   #5
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
4gbs, no time machine, never checked page outs
Next time you're running out of space, check to see if you have page outs.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2013, 08:43 PM   #6
zombiecakes
macrumors regular

6gbs and falling extremely fast despite not really doing anything to cause it.

page in - 16gb
out - 637mb

Under disk activity disk usage is going up 100k every second. SystemUIserver was also at 90%+ cpu usage.

Last edited by zombiecakes; May 5, 2013 at 10:42 PM.
Old May 6, 2013, 04:23 AM   #7
Donut4000
macrumors member

I use Daisy Disk, which is a utility that gives a graphical depiction of space used on a drive, that I use in times where I need to see what is taking up disk space. It is a really quick and easy way of finding out how space on your hard drive is used. Disk Inventory X is free I think, and like Daisy Disk, is a visual way of depicting drive space usage (though not as pretty and interactive as DD).
Hope this helps in someway.
Donut4000 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2013, 06:47 AM   #8
JohnDoe98
macrumors 68020

The problem of disappearing HDD space (only to return after reboot) seems to be fixed for me on 10.8.4, no more lost space after hours of usage and especially returning from sleep.
JohnDoe98 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion