Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Apr 30, 2013, 06:25 PM   #1
JStok
macrumors newbie

iPad 2 owned. Should I get iPod touch 5g?

Hello,
I was recently thinking about getting an iPod touch 5th generation (32 gig). Would it be worth it when I already own an ipad 2? I want something I can put in my pocket. I would be playing games, listening to music, going on Facebook, and messaging. If anyone has any other devices in mind that I should get please let me know.
JStok is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2013, 06:34 PM   #2
Silvereel
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by JStok View Post
Hello,
I was recently thinking about getting an iPod touch 5th generation (32 gig). Would it be worth it when I already own an ipad 2? I want something I can put in my pocket. I would be playing games, listening to music, going on Facebook, and messaging. If anyone has any other devices in mind that I should get please let me know.
It's a totally different device, so if you want it, get it! You're essentially getting an iPhone without the phone part, and it is a lot like an iPad you can carry in your pocket.
Silvereel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2013, 08:35 PM   #3
LaurieAnn
macrumors regular

I own an iPad2, an iPad Mini, and a 5th Gen Touch. I use the touch all day long at work. It is also my main camera device now. I carry it with me where ever I go. An outdated DroidX is my phone.
LaurieAnn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2013, 10:26 PM   #4
TacticalDesire
macrumors 68020

If you want something that fits in your pocket the touch is a great choice. I love my 5th gen. It's been all over the country with me.
Slate iPad Mini 16gb (iOS 8.1)
TacticalDesire is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2013, 09:01 AM   #5
silverblack
macrumors 65816

I agree with what was said above, that portability makes the iPod Touch a great device to have in additional to your iPad.

However, if you also own a cell phone, you will soon discover that having to bring around an iPod Touch AND a cell phone is not the most enjoyable experience. That leads to the next question, should you get an iPhone instead? A used one off craiglist would be the most economical way to go. This way you don't have to subscribe to a data plan. Use it as a phone only for calls, and as an iPod Touch (wifi) for everything else.
silverblack is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2013, 10:00 AM   #6
AppleRobert
macrumors 68030

Buy it, try it.

I would get the Mini at Walmart for $299 though instead.
AppleRobert is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2013, 10:04 AM   #7
Mr Kram
macrumors 65816

i have an ipad 4, iPad mini and an ipod touch 4G. they all serve different purposes. i would go for it.
Old May 2, 2013, 07:33 AM   #8
ikev85
macrumors member

Thumbs up

Do you have a smartphone already? If you don't then absolutely.

It has a much better camera than your iPad as well, both front and back.

You may want to get a case or something for it though, it's very very thin and I've dropped mine a few times because of the weight and thinness.
ikev85 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2013, 07:33 PM   #9
vmaniqui
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleRobert View Post
Buy it, try it.

I would get the Mini at Walmart for $299 though instead.
+1. ipod touch cost about $299 or $279 on sale. at that price i will definitely get a mini instead.
vmaniqui is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2013, 09:43 PM   #10
raccoonboy
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurieAnn View Post
I own an iPad2, an iPad Mini, and a 5th Gen Touch. I use the touch all day long at work. It is also my main camera device now. I carry it with me where ever I go. An outdated DroidX is my phone.

You should have just combined mini and touch 5 = Iphone 5.
raccoonboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2013, 07:40 AM   #11
Bear
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JStok View Post
Hello,
Is it worth it? That is up to you, however, it is quite reasonable to have an iPad and either an iPod Touch or an iPhone. And in some circumstances all 3.

The advantage of having both as iOS devices is that you get the iCloud syncing for apps that support that. Most apps are the same for both, so if it's an app that costs money, you only pay once.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad