Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kristenanne77

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 16, 2009
I have two older macbooks and one new minimac.
My old wireless router died after about three years. (a cisco linksys wrt 310Nv2).
My setup:
The signal goes from my modem to the wireless router. The "Wire Connection" from the router goes to the ethernet card on a a pc running windoz xp.
The wireless connections are two my two old macbooks and new macmin which are scattered about the place. (I usually use only one computer at a time). Also, I have a logitech revue box for picking up internet from the router to go to my tv. All the wireless connections do not work. I have tried resetting etc. I need a new router.

I am looking for a new one and I see so many options like "dual band" etc.
Some even say they have a usb port (I have no idea why).
I think I read somewhere that the older macbooks have a different built in wireless sytem (airport??) than the newer macs and do not require dual band.

I am looking for a decent wireless router that will work with both the old macbooks and the new mini (and the logitech revue box) and is easy to set up.

I sometimes shop amazon or tigerdirect and locally at a compusa, walmart or target. I don't want a piece of garbage, but I certainly don't need top of the line either.

Any recomendations?

drsox

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2011
Xhystos
I have two older macbooks and one new minimac.
My old wireless router died after about three years. (a cisco linksys wrt 310Nv2).
My setup:
The signal goes from my modem to the wireless router. The "Wire Connection" from the router goes to the ethernet card on a a pc running windoz xp.
The wireless connections are two my two old macbooks and new macmin which are scattered about the place. (I usually use only one computer at a time). Also, I have a logitech revue box for picking up internet from the router to go to my tv. All the wireless connections do not work. I have tried resetting etc. I need a new router.

I am looking for a new one and I see so many options like "dual band" etc.
Some even say they have a usb port (I have no idea why).
I think I read somewhere that the older macbooks have a different built in wireless sytem (airport??) than the newer macs and do not require dual band.

I am looking for a decent wireless router that will work with both the old macbooks and the new mini (and the logitech revue box) and is easy to set up.

I sometimes shop amazon or tigerdirect and locally at a compusa, walmart or target. I don't want a piece of garbage, but I certainly don't need top of the line either.

Any recomendations?

Have a look at the new Airport Express. Simple to setup. Works fine with Apple stuff and with a LAN connected WinXp PC. If it doesn't seem right for you, then you can return it to Apple (if you buy it from them) within 2 weeks or so.

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
Airport was just the term Apple used to identify the WiFi in the older Macs. That does not mean you NEED an Apple Airport router.

I'm using a Netgear WNDR3700 with a MBP, iPad, 2 Android devices, Apple TV, HP printer and a Windows 7 desktop. The desktop and printer are hardwired, the rest are wireless using varying bands (5 Ghz for the Apple stuff, 2.4 for Android). It works well and can be had for less than most of Apple's Airport routers. The USB port is used for attaching storage devices.

The Cisco WRT54G2 is also a decent unit, though older and not wireless-N capable, same for the WRT54G-L (old Linksys).

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
There are a lot of routers out there ~$30-$100. They all seem to have one quirk or another. Just about all of them will need a restart now and then. Just about every router has wireless plus a few ethernet sockets.

You don't require dual band, but dual band routers basically have two radios, one that allows more modern wireless devices operate at full bandwidth, the other one to provide service for older machines.

The USB port is to plug a printer in for printer sharing or, on some routers, a hard drive for hard drive sharing.

The AE is certainly a good device for your application. Solid reliability and will work well. You can save a few bucks by buying refurb.

tengtengvn

macrumors member
Apr 14, 2013
If you want something cheap, simple, just work, never need to restart... ASUS RT-N10+ or ASUS RT-N12.

Get it on Amazon or newegg, flash DD-WRT and that's it. I have a ASUS RT-N10+ at work that I never have to touch it. Same for a ASUS RT-AC66U and a ASUS RT-N16 that I use at home.

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
Yeah, I have a ASUS I use as a mobile unit and it seems to be a good trouble free product, works well and inexpensive. Its also very easy to set up, lots of description and background data.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.