Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Old May 1, 2013, 07:26 AM   #1
JustAnOtaku
macrumors newbie

Should I get a retina MacBook Pro?

I'm quite new to this website (around 3 weeks) and I have a question I would like to get help on. For that, I specifically created an account just to ask the few questions I have in mind
I'm 16 years old this year and I was hoping to get a rmbp. Of course, I cant possibly afford to get an rmbp by myself, I would need my parents for that. But please, hear me out first before deciding I am a spoilt child (though i might be )
I have already been using my current laptop for 4 yrs. I find it quite crappy and it would occasionally crash. Heck, the battery doesn't even survive half an hour without plugging in the cord. On the other hand, the rmbp can hold up to 7 hrs for normal usage. I read that it can survive 'only' 3 hrs in some other threads, which is already acceptable to me, given that my laptop can only hold for 0.5 hrs. It is also very light, considering it is such a powerhouse. Not that I would ever need to use it for VERY intensive work, but I'm thinking I would learn how to photoshop and edit movies as a hobby
That wasn't the main point. I'm just afraid I have been to spoilt by my parents and it wouldn't be fair for them to get me a rmbp which is fairly expensive. I had an Iphone 4 when I was like .. 13 yrs old? and now I have an Iphone 5 after my contract was up. Never had an Ipad or Ipod though ...
So, recently I just made a trade with my mom. I asked her whether I could get a rmbp if I get good grades for the final exam of my middle school, and well .. to my surprise, she agreed (by good grades, i meant 10 points or below. the lower the point, the better it is. and recently, for mid-semester, i got like 37, which is quite a leap if I want to get 10 points or below)
Alright, now I'm asking all the fellow netizens here for your opinions.
What do you think? should i not get the rmbp? Am I too spoilt? Is it to unfair for my parents to get me a premium device?
I would appreciate any thoughts you have on these. But please not be to harsh on me if possible. Thanks again for your co-operation
JustAnOtaku is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2013, 07:48 AM   #2
SMDBill
macrumors 6502

Fair or not fair for your parents to decide to get you one is solely their decision. It's nobody's place to judge how they use their money.

You obviously need/want a new laptop and yours sounds like it is in poor condition. There are great laptops with very long battery life for much less money so the decision on which model depends on your needs and their money. Again, something for you and your parents to decide. For what you listed as intended usage, any Macbook model will suit your needs well.
SMDBill is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2013, 07:03 PM   #3
Mirai 11
macrumors 6502

Obviously it's up to you, but I get the feeling you're posting for help on here because you're not sure whether the rMBP justifies the high price, especially when it's your mum and dad's hard earned money going towards it.

I'd just get a job, and save up if you really want it, or get a laptop that you know will suit your needs.

Best of luck.
Old May 1, 2013, 07:34 PM   #4
ckip10
macrumors newbie

One thing you can do to help your parents out, assuming they are willing to buy you a rMBP, is do the research and find the best deal you can. I was patient and found an open box 2013 13-inch 2.6 i5, 256GB flash, 8GB RAM for $1299.00. It has the full warranty and I already bought AppleCare, which put me in it for about the same amount I would have paid to get a refurb from Apple. There are always deals out there which help when buying something as expensive as a rMBP. Just my 2 cents worth.
ckip10 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice