Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

volntitan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 4, 2005
Anyone been able to convert this movie thru Handbrake? It keeps crashing on me...

volntitan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 4, 2005
It's weird. I've tried Handbrake and Ripit and no success. Didn't know if anyone else had any issues or work arounds.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
It's weird. I've tried Handbrake and Ripit and no success. Didn't know if anyone else had any issues or work arounds.
Try MakeMKV. If it doesn't handle it, it is most likely a source problem (look for scratches).

rpaloalto

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2005
Palo Alto CA.
Probably some heavy copy protection on the DVD.
Try ''Mac DVD Ripper Pro'' it has not let me down yet.

http://www.macdvdripperpro.com/
free trial:)

Unclick use .dvdmedia extension in preferences
Rip as movie only
It will leave a video ts folder just use that as your source for converting with handbrake.

drmikey

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2008
Seattle
Is it crashing during the initial Source scan process or the actual importing process?

I had a new movie crash every time I tried to do the initial Source scan and found it was a new form of copy protection. I had to select ONLY the actual movie track I wanted it to scan and it would work that way. One of the multiple tracks that it would scan causes HB to crash, so if you bypass the whole DVD scan and just scan the main movie track it worked.

designs216

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2009
Down the rabbit hole
Is it crashing during the initial Source scan process or the actual importing process?

I had a new movie crash every time I tried to do the initial Source scan and found it was a new form of copy protection. I had to select ONLY the actual movie track I wanted it to scan and it would work that way. One of the multiple tracks that it would scan causes HB to crash, so if you bypass the whole DVD scan and just scan the main movie track it worked.

If you have a DVD player, pop the movie in to learn the title of the actual movie vs. previews and decoys. Then in Handbrake, do an Open Source (Title Specific) using the title you learned from the DVD player.

tonylxxviii

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
I'm sure the original poster has long since found the solution for this issue. However, I felt I should post which title actually works.

Title 9

I used the most recent nightly build of Handbrake to do my encode. It took quite a while to scan still but at least it didn't crash like it did on version 0.9.8

Also, this disc won't even play for DVD Player or VLC. Very odd copy protection if it won't even allow you to play the disc on a regular player.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
The Da Vinci Code and Angels & Demons both give me fits. I guess it's some copy protection used by Sony. I almost bought both movies from iTunes last week when they were $10, but 1) I have already paid for those darn movies, and 2) I didn't know whether they were the extended editions that I have on BD.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
The Da Vinci Code and Angels & Demons both give me fits. I guess it's some copy protection used by Sony. I almost bought both movies from iTunes last week when they were $10, but 1) I have already paid for those darn movies, and 2) I didn't know whether they were the extended editions that I have on BD.

The Da Vinci Code and Angels & Demons were one of the few movies that handbrake alone would not handle for me.

I used MakeMKV and then handbrake on those two movies and they came out without any problems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.