Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old May 1, 2013, 02:01 PM   #1
volntitan
macrumors 6502

The Guilt Trip and Handbrake

Anyone been able to convert this movie thru Handbrake? It keeps crashing on me...
volntitan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2013, 02:08 PM   #2
Mr. McMac
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by volntitan View Post
Anyone been able to convert this movie thru Handbrake? It keeps crashing on me...
I've never had any crashes converting different formats to my Apple TV3 on my Macs or PC's.
Old May 1, 2013, 02:31 PM   #3
volntitan
macrumors 6502

It's weird. I've tried Handbrake and Ripit and no success. Didn't know if anyone else had any issues or work arounds.
volntitan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2013, 02:44 PM   #4
mic j
macrumors 68000

Quote:
It's weird. I've tried Handbrake and Ripit and no success. Didn't know if anyone else had any issues or work arounds.
Try MakeMKV. If it doesn't handle it, it is most likely a source problem (look for scratches).
Old May 1, 2013, 05:43 PM   #5
rpaloalto
macrumors 6502a

Probably some heavy copy protection on the DVD.
Try ''Mac DVD Ripper Pro'' it has not let me down yet.

http://www.macdvdripperpro.com/
free trial

Unclick use .dvdmedia extension in preferences
Rip as movie only
It will leave a video ts folder just use that as your source for converting with handbrake.
Old May 2, 2013, 10:31 AM   #6
dynaflash
macrumors 68020

Try open source (title specific) in HB. Never tried this particular disk but have never had it fail once (and I have done a few tough disks). Also use a nightly, its more robust than 0.9.8.

https://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/Suppo...lespecificscan
dynaflash is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2013, 11:24 AM   #7
drmikey
macrumors member

Is it crashing during the initial Source scan process or the actual importing process?

I had a new movie crash every time I tried to do the initial Source scan and found it was a new form of copy protection. I had to select ONLY the actual movie track I wanted it to scan and it would work that way. One of the multiple tracks that it would scan causes HB to crash, so if you bypass the whole DVD scan and just scan the main movie track it worked.
Old May 2, 2013, 12:17 PM   #8
designs216
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmikey View Post
Is it crashing during the initial Source scan process or the actual importing process?

I had a new movie crash every time I tried to do the initial Source scan and found it was a new form of copy protection. I had to select ONLY the actual movie track I wanted it to scan and it would work that way. One of the multiple tracks that it would scan causes HB to crash, so if you bypass the whole DVD scan and just scan the main movie track it worked.

If you have a DVD player, pop the movie in to learn the title of the actual movie vs. previews and decoys. Then in Handbrake, do an Open Source (Title Specific) using the title you learned from the DVD player.
designs216 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2013, 02:43 PM   #9
tonylxxviii
macrumors newbie

I'm sure the original poster has long since found the solution for this issue. However, I felt I should post which title actually works.

Title 9

I used the most recent nightly build of Handbrake to do my encode. It took quite a while to scan still but at least it didn't crash like it did on version 0.9.8

Also, this disc won't even play for DVD Player or VLC. Very odd copy protection if it won't even allow you to play the disc on a regular player.
tonylxxviii is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2013, 11:27 AM   #10
rayward
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Same thing happened to me when I tried to watch it.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 12:23 PM   #11
Plutonius
macrumors 68040

I found that anything handbrake can't handle, MakeMKV can.
Plutonius is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2013, 08:09 PM   #12
Michael CM1
macrumors 601

The Da Vinci Code and Angels & Demons both give me fits. I guess it's some copy protection used by Sony. I almost bought both movies from iTunes last week when they were $10, but 1) I have already paid for those darn movies, and 2) I didn't know whether they were the extended editions that I have on BD.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 10:51 PM   #13
Plutonius
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael CM1 View Post
The Da Vinci Code and Angels & Demons both give me fits. I guess it's some copy protection used by Sony. I almost bought both movies from iTunes last week when they were $10, but 1) I have already paid for those darn movies, and 2) I didn't know whether they were the extended editions that I have on BD.
The Da Vinci Code and Angels & Demons were one of the few movies that handbrake alone would not handle for me.

I used MakeMKV and then handbrake on those two movies and they came out without any problems.
Plutonius is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2013, 09:23 AM   #14
dynaflash
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plutonius View Post
The Da Vinci Code and Angels & Demons were one of the few movies that handbrake alone would not handle for me.
Handbrake via Open Source Title Specific, rinse and repeat. Have both and done them several times.
dynaflash is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater