Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

German Apple website ifun.de has posted a collection of images from the beautiful new Apple Store Kurfürstendamm in Berlin, Germany. The store is located in a century-old theater building in one of the city's major shopping districts. The building measures some 48,000 square feet, though it's unclear how much of that space Apple is occupying.

NewImage.png
Apple first posted job listings for the Kurfürstendamm store back in December of 2011, though it's taken quite a while for Apple's architects to ready the building for shoppers.

The store opens to the public tomorrow, May 3rd, at 5 PM local time.

Article Link: Photo Gallery of Stunning New Berlin Apple Store

Thinkman12345

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2013
Why doesn't America get such beautiful stores???

Where on earth do you live? Some of the most amazing stores are in the U.S. - how does this gorgeous German building with a conventional Apple store design inside even begin to compare to Apple's NY stores?

abz1981

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2011
Its beautiful. Correct me if I am wrong though. I thought all :apple: stores that have a staircase are made of glass. This one seems to be a non glass staircase. Unless I am mistaken.

Exotic-Car Man

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2010
USA
I can't believe this is an Apple Store. It's gorgeous! It's also definitely a different type of store, having a lot less of the classic futuristic look that most stores do.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
Where on earth do you live? Some of the most amazing stores are in the U.S. - how does this gorgeous German building with a conventional Apple store design inside even begin to compare to Apple's NY stores?

Hmm...

Picture of the Berlin store in the OP...

Apple store, Arden Fair Mall, Sacramento:
ardenfair_hero.jpg

Apple Store, Forum Shoppes at Caesar's Palace, Las Vegas:
theforumshops_hero.jpg

Even in places that should be nice, they really aren't. So far in the towns I've traveled to or lived in, the Grove in Los Angeles was the only store that had somewhat of a "wow" factor, and barely at that. So the question stands. Why can't the stores in the US look as elegant as Berlin? We all don't have a Grand Central Station..

BL.

ufwa

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2011
Hmm...

Even in places that should be nice, they really aren't. So far in the towns I've traveled to or lived in, the Grove in Los Angeles was the only store that had somewhat of a "wow" factor, and barely at that. So the question stands. Why can't the stores in the US look as elegant as Berlin? We all don't have a Grand Central Station..

BL.

Those are stores inside a mall. Apple or really any other retailer isn't going to be able to tear the whole thing down make major renovations to make them unique.

Even the Berlin store. Its beauty is in the facade which isn't even Apple. Inside its like every other.

If you search for it on Google maps you'll see the only changes is the front glass is removed and the glass display case that line the street got removed. at least the two middle ones. The timberland store seems to be gone or at least the signage. The mannequin though remains.

Unique stores to me are the one in New York with glass cube and glass stair case and one in palo alto that the roof is all glass.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
Nice way to present products to customer, this one will be another gem in the store collection, similar to 5th Av or Grand Central ...

Happy for Berlin to finally get an Apple Store :D

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
Hmm...

Apple store, Arden Fair Mall, Sacramento:
ardenfair_hero.jpg

Apple Store, Forum Shoppes at Caesar's Palace, Las Vegas:
theforumshops_hero.jpg

BL.
Las Vegas? Sacramento?

Don't compare a mall store to a flagship store. Flagship stores are in Amsterdam, Barcelona, Beijing, Boston, Chicago, Frankfurt, Hamburg, Hong Kong, Houston, London, Montreal, Munich, New York, Osaka, Paris, San Francisco, Shanghai, Sydney, Tokyo and Turin; and now, Berlin.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
Las Vegas? Sacramento?

Don't compare a mall store to a flagship store. Flagship stores are in Amsterdam, Barcelona, Beijing, Boston, Chicago, Frankfurt, Hamburg, Hong Kong, Houston, London, Montreal, Munich, New York, Osaka, Paris, San Francisco, Shanghai, Sydney, Tokyo and Turin; and now, Berlin.

You actually make my point for me.

Unless you make your way to that 1 - 3 stores in the entire country, the majority of people are only going to see an Apple store as a store in a mall. It is on that premise alone that the original question was asked: why some places get beautifully constructed stores, while most to all places in the US look like mall shops.

There are places in the US that would scream for something as elaborate as this, but instead get a mall shop, flagship store or otherwise.

BL.

celthic

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2010
Well based on the German text, Apple occupies all of the 48,000 square feet. Having the main store, additional rooms for accessories in the basement and up stairs you will find general conference rooms as well as corporate conference rooms. Additional there is a sort of Apple training center and the theater is run by Apple for movie and concert presentation.
Additionally the Genius Bar will not be a Bar such as anymore, you will sit side by side during support. Anything inside that building, besides the Apple products, is local content. E.g. any stone used in the inside had been extra utilized from the stone quarry where they got the stone for the outside hundred years ago.

Quite complex approach.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.