Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 2, 2013, 01:22 PM   #1
Shaun.P
macrumors 68000
 
Shaun.P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Omicron Persei 8
Want an old Mac

Hey guys,

A bit of an odd request, but I am looking to buy an old Mac for the sole purpose of word processing.
  • I would like the machine to run OS 9.2.2 or lower,
  • It must be capable of running ClarisWorks/AppleWorks (my favourite piece of software ever),
  • I need to be able to print the documents I create (perhaps I could hook up an old LaserWriter with cheap replaceable consumables still available)? Or perhaps I transfer the files to my MBP to print from my modern printer?
  • The main task on this machine would be word processing. Any other bonuses would be nice.

Why don't I just word process on my MacBook Pro like everyone else?

I like the idea of using an old computer for one basic task.

I loved ClarisWorks/AppleWorks. Such a powerful, easy to use piece of software. I am a maths teacher - drawing maths related diagrams is relatively easy in the drawing package and items can be easily dropped into the word processing package. Moreover, Pages stil opens ClarisWorks/AppleWorks files.

I would also find that such a machine would be so limited by today's standard, meaning I will be more inclined to get my work done instead of browsing online!

I specifically remember using an all-in-one beige Performa that had a floppy disk drive and CD-ROM drive than ran OS 8.6. Memories!

Please recommend machines and potentially the quirkiest, best Macintosh OS. It would be a bonus to be able to pick up plenty of software cheap from eBay.

Shaun.
__________________
I support the May 2013 MacRumors Blood Drive!
Shaun.P is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2013, 01:50 PM   #2
Jessica Lares
macrumors 604
 
Jessica Lares's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Here are a list of OS 9 compatible machines:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_OS_9

There are some specific models of G4s that will run OS 9, the iMac G4 would be the quirkiest. But you have to find the right model.

The keyboards on the laptops are great. I would highly recommend one vs a desktop. I don't know if you still have CRT screens hanging around in your house, but I don't. So my beige desktop is just sitting here. The display connection is different to the studio displays Apple had for the G4 and G5 (well, I couldn't get mine to fit in there anyway ).
__________________
Have You Hugged Your Mac Today?
Daily Expressions | iMac G4 | Late 2011 13" MacBook Pro | iPod Nano (7G) | iPad Mini | iPod Touch (5G) | iPhone 5S
Jessica Lares is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2013, 02:53 PM   #3
Shaun.P
Thread Starter
macrumors 68000
 
Shaun.P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Omicron Persei 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
Here are a list of OS 9 compatible machines:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_OS_9

There are some specific models of G4s that will run OS 9, the iMac G4 would be the quirkiest. But you have to find the right model.

The keyboards on the laptops are great. I would highly recommend one vs a desktop. I don't know if you still have CRT screens hanging around in your house, but I don't. So my beige desktop is just sitting here. The display connection is different to the studio displays Apple had for the G4 and G5 (well, I couldn't get mine to fit in there anyway ).
Thanks for the advice! I don't even think that I want something as new as an iMac G4 (or even G3). I want something that reminds me of the mid-nineties.

Although I do love the look of the iMac G4 and it must run OS 9 extremely quickly...! Hmm!
__________________
I support the May 2013 MacRumors Blood Drive!
Shaun.P is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2013, 04:08 PM   #4
smokeyrabbit
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Escape from New England
Mid-90's is going to give you something like a tiny 640x480 display, no ethernet, 14.4k modem, no USB, boring beige cases. I remember using those "blazing fast" 75 Mhz PowerPC 603 machines and the one thing that stands out is that it was great to move up to the G3 and G4 because they were just so much faster especially with MacOS 9 and could connect to the outside world so much better.

If you're going to be printing, I would go with something like from a Blue & White G3 up to maybe the Gigabit G4 and get a nice ADC display. You can connect to your modern network by ethernet and possibly have a chance at printing right from your machine without the dance of exporting your file so that your newer machine can print it.

I can't imagine that any supplies, if available, for old LaserWriters are at all reasonably priced.
__________________
Now: MacBook 6,1; iMac 11,1; PowerMac 7,2; iPhone 4S; Apple TV (JB); Apple TV2 (JB); Time Capsule x2
Then: MacBook CD; iBook G3 Dual USB; iBook G4; PowerMac Quicksilver; iMac DV SE; Macintosh IIvx
smokeyrabbit is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2013, 04:19 PM   #5
Shaun.P
Thread Starter
macrumors 68000
 
Shaun.P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Omicron Persei 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeyrabbit View Post
Mid-90's is going to give you something like a tiny 640x480 display, no ethernet, 14.4k modem, no USB, boring beige cases. I remember using those "blazing fast" 75 Mhz PowerPC 603 machines and the one thing that stands out is that it was great to move up to the G3 and G4 because they were just so much faster especially with MacOS 9 and could connect to the outside world so much better.

If you're going to be printing, I would go with something like from a Blue & White G3 up to maybe the Gigabit G4 and get a nice ADC display. You can connect to your modern network by ethernet and possibly have a chance at printing right from your machine without the dance of exporting your file so that your newer machine can print it.

I can't imagine that any supplies, if available, for old LaserWriters are at all reasonably priced.
Thanks for all your useful advice. I can see you have some old Macs!

See the way I'm looking at this is that I only need the most basic machine as I am only going to use it for one task. I was thinking that for printer - using a floppy disk and connecting to my MBP via an external USB floppy disk drive (quite cheap to buy!). I am looking for a rustic experience here!
__________________
I support the May 2013 MacRumors Blood Drive!
Shaun.P is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2013, 04:41 PM   #6
smokeyrabbit
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Escape from New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun.P View Post
Thanks for all your useful advice. I can see you have some old Macs!

See the way I'm looking at this is that I only need the most basic machine as I am only going to use it for one task. I was thinking that for printer - using a floppy disk and connecting to my MBP via an external USB floppy disk drive (quite cheap to buy!). I am looking for a rustic experience here!
Oh, I don't have the really old ones anymore. I kept the Mac IIvx around in the closet but I don't know what ever became of it.

BTW Pages, Keynote, and Numbers will apparently open Appleworks files without too much fuss, so the USB floppy drive would be a quick way to print, assuming you have the iWork apps.
__________________
Now: MacBook 6,1; iMac 11,1; PowerMac 7,2; iPhone 4S; Apple TV (JB); Apple TV2 (JB); Time Capsule x2
Then: MacBook CD; iBook G3 Dual USB; iBook G4; PowerMac Quicksilver; iMac DV SE; Macintosh IIvx
smokeyrabbit is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2013, 04:50 PM   #7
fortysomegeek
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
how about emulation?

I run OS9 on a 2012 27" iMac through SheepShaver.

Yep, OS 9 on a 2560x1440 monitor.

I have networking and the printer saves out PDF files which is stored on a desktop folder of my OSX. You can set up shared folders easily.





__________________
A few Macbook Pros, iMacs, Minis, Xserves, iPads, iPhones and even PCs.
fortysomegeek is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2013, 04:51 PM   #8
Shaun.P
Thread Starter
macrumors 68000
 
Shaun.P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Omicron Persei 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by fortysomegeek View Post
how about emulation?

I run OS9 on a 2012 27" iMac through SheepShaver.

Yep, OS 9 on a 2560x1440 monitor.

I have networking and the printer saves out PDF files which is stored on a desktop folder of my OSX. You can set up shared folders easily.

Image
I did not know about this... I'll investigate it!
__________________
I support the May 2013 MacRumors Blood Drive!
Shaun.P is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2013, 11:04 AM   #9
splitpea
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Among the starlings
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeyrabbit View Post
Mid-90's is going to give you something like a tiny 640x480 display, no ethernet, 14.4k modem, no USB, boring beige cases. I remember using those "blazing fast" 75 Mhz PowerPC 603 machines and the one thing that stands out is that it was great to move up to the G3 and G4 because they were just so much faster especially with MacOS 9 and could connect to the outside world so much better.
Actually, that's not necessarily true. I remember working on Macs in my high school desktop publishing lab in the mid-90's that had *tremendous* CRTs -- I think 21" 4x3 running at, if I had to guess, 1600x1200. That's more than enough for word processing.

That said, finding a compatible monitor for something that old could be a chore, and LCD is much easier on the eyes for extended periods.

Quote:
If you're going to be printing, I would go with something like from a Blue & White G3 up to maybe the Gigabit G4 and get a nice ADC display. You can connect to your modern network by ethernet and possibly have a chance at printing right from your machine without the dance of exporting your file so that your newer machine can print it.
I agree. The blue and white's have plenty of cachet. Another option would be those colorful clamshell iBooks from that period.
__________________
What's the point of a sig showing the system I owned in 2006?
splitpea is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2013, 11:52 AM   #10
Lil Chillbil
macrumors 65816
 
Lil Chillbil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: California
you can't get much more mid ninety's than a performa 6400/200 and even that machine with its big tower is bested by the slowest ibook g3,
__________________
Check out my youtube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/TheKull101
Mac skinned pc Luna netbook
Lil Chillbil is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2013, 01:28 PM   #11
LorenK
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Illinois
I actually have a 6115 sitting in my closet with the monitor and keyboard, as well as a printer, though not sure the printer still works, the printer cartridges are likely old. I haven't booted it up in years, so I'd actually give it to you if you could figure out how I'd get it to you, I hate the idea of technology just getting trash canned.
LorenK is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2013, 02:03 PM   #12
Timmyg3
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
@LorenK

@LorenK if he doesnt take it I will.
Timmyg3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2013, 03:48 PM   #13
JCsHands2
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2013
Maybe fastforward to the year 2000 and go with the Pismo? I still have the desire to buy one, max the RAM and buy a 500 Mhz Sonnet CPU upgrade.

I told my wife about this, just last week, she shook her head at me.
JCsHands2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2013, 04:12 AM   #14
Shaun.P
Thread Starter
macrumors 68000
 
Shaun.P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Omicron Persei 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by splitpea View Post
Actually, that's not necessarily true. I remember working on Macs in my high school desktop publishing lab in the mid-90's that had *tremendous* CRTs -- I think 21" 4x3 running at, if I had to guess, 1600x1200. That's more than enough for word processing.

That said, finding a compatible monitor for something that old could be a chore, and LCD is much easier on the eyes for extended periods.



I agree. The blue and white's have plenty of cachet. Another option would be those colorful clamshell iBooks from that period.
You're the second person in this thread (and the third person in total) to recommend a Blue & White G3. I think I was hoping for more of a seamless setup rather than having to connect an external monitor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Chillbil View Post
you can't get much more mid ninety's than a performa 6400/200 and even that machine with its big tower is bested by the slowest ibook g3,
The speed isn't important to me as it will be just for word processing. A colleague of mine uses an Acorn Archimedes A3020 for a similar task!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LorenK View Post
I actually have a 6115 sitting in my closet with the monitor and keyboard, as well as a printer, though not sure the printer still works, the printer cartridges are likely old. I haven't booted it up in years, so I'd actually give it to you if you could figure out how I'd get it to you, I hate the idea of technology just getting trash canned.
That's very generous of you. However it is a long way to Omicron Persei 8 (Scotland)!

I am the same. I think it's nice to find a use for old technology.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCsHands2 View Post
Maybe fastforward to the year 2000 and go with the Pismo? I still have the desire to buy one, max the RAM and buy a 500 Mhz Sonnet CPU upgrade.

I told my wife about this, just last week, she shook her head at me.
I think I'd prefer a desktop - but thank you for the recommendation.


Is anyone here a ClarisWorks/AppleWorks fan? I truly think it's the best word processor I've ever used. So simple, yet with so much functionality. I find using it so much fun. I wished Apple just updated it. It has a lot more class than Pages / Numbers.

I am potentially considering an iMac G4, but unsure if it'll run OS 9.

What about this from 1993? Or this (what I used at school).
__________________
I support the May 2013 MacRumors Blood Drive!
Shaun.P is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2013, 02:28 PM   #15
Shaun.P
Thread Starter
macrumors 68000
 
Shaun.P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Omicron Persei 8
Just won this. What do you think?
__________________
I support the May 2013 MacRumors Blood Drive!
Shaun.P is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2013, 05:03 PM   #16
OLDCODGER
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Lucky Country
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun.P View Post
Is anyone here a ClarisWorks/AppleWorks fan? I truly think it's the best word processor I've ever used. So simple, yet with so much functionality. I find using it so much fun. I wished Apple just updated it. It has a lot more class than Pages / Numbers.
Yes, I am. Although I've updated to Bean, I still like to use my original WP files in Sheepshaver. As you say, simple, yet complete.
OLDCODGER is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2013, 07:36 PM   #17
poorracerkid
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Galvatraz, TX
I think the VM is the way to go.
__________________
Late '08 MBP 15 10.6, iBook G4 14 10.5, iPod Nano
Libertarian
poorracerkid is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2013, 08:28 AM   #18
splitpea
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Among the starlings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun.P View Post
Just won this. What do you think?
Had one of those in my school media lab. It was a blazing fast machine at the time. Should serve you well.
__________________
What's the point of a sig showing the system I owned in 2006?
splitpea is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2013, 10:36 AM   #19
Fishrrman
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
"I run OS9 on a 2012 27" iMac through SheepShaver.
Yep, OS 9 on a 2560x1440 monitor."

Could you point the way to a site(s) that explains how to do this?
That is, where to get the needed software, and how to install it?

The time I tried using Sheepshaver, it was "a bear" to set up.

A set of "layman's instructions" would help….
Fishrrman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2013, 10:40 AM   #20
GimmeSlack12
macrumors 603
 
GimmeSlack12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: San Francisco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun.P View Post
Just won this. What do you think?
I think it'll start collecting dust after a week or two. The old Macs are just a pain, use SheepShaver and work out your nostalgia bug (they don't last long).
__________________
iMac 24" iBook G4 iPhone 4 iPod 80Gb
GimmeSlack12 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2013, 12:22 PM   #21
Shaun.P
Thread Starter
macrumors 68000
 
Shaun.P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Omicron Persei 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by GimmeSlack12 View Post
I think it'll start collecting dust after a week or two. The old Macs are just a pain, use SheepShaver and work out your nostalgia bug (they don't last long).
Hey there,

Looked into SheepShaver but found it far too complicated to understand.

Think I'll use it quite a bit. If not, I've not wasted too much money!!!

Are these quite upgradable? Thinking of adding an additional 512MB of RAM for £10. Graphics worth updating?
__________________
I support the May 2013 MacRumors Blood Drive!
Shaun.P is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2013, 12:50 PM   #22
fortysomegeek
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishrrman View Post
"I run OS9 on a 2012 27" iMac through SheepShaver.
Yep, OS 9 on a 2560x1440 monitor."

Could you point the way to a site(s) that explains how to do this?
That is, where to get the needed software, and how to install it?

The time I tried using Sheepshaver, it was "a bear" to set up.

A set of "layman's instructions" would help….
E-maculation.

http://emaculation.com/doku.php/sheepshaver
http://emaculation.com/doku.php/shee...mac_os_x_setup

There is a forum and some third party utility that allows you to make a VM with point-n-click as same as if you were doing VirtualBox.
In the prefs, the UNIX root is the shared folder. For example, I share my OSX desktop to drop files back and forth. There is also examples of how to get printing working.
__________________
A few Macbook Pros, iMacs, Minis, Xserves, iPads, iPhones and even PCs.
fortysomegeek is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2013, 05:44 PM   #23
Anonymous Freak
macrumors 601
 
Anonymous Freak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Cascadia
For quite a while, even up to about 2007, I used a PowerBook 100 for word processing. Running off a RAM disk, the battery lasted about 8 hours, and was dead silent.

I also used a PowerBook Duo 2300c for time tracking, quote and receipt printing for my on-site business (with a Color StyleWriter 2200 to print.)


If you want the ultimate "type on an old Mac in style" computer, find a Twentieth Anniversary Macintosh. It was the height of late '90s chic.

If you don't want an LCD, then you want to make sure to get a CRT with a high refresh rate. Old CRTs are hard on the eyes at lower refresh rates. Of course, a large one with a high refresh rate will be a power hog, too.

If you want REALLY retro, find an old Apple Portrait Display. Nice vertical (portrait) orientation, purely grayscale (so even an old one won't have any color separation issues, and grayscale is plenty for word processing,) and a decent 75 Hz refresh rate.
__________________

20" Aluminum iMac 7,1 (mid-2007, Santa Rosa,) upgraded to 2.6 GHz Penryn, 6 GB RAM, 1 TB HD, 4 TB total external hard drive
Anonymous Freak is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013, 03:02 AM   #24
mammakeegs
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2013
got an old mac

hate to give up old macs myself, got an blue and white in the closet
interested? email me
Carol
mammakeegs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013, 06:16 AM   #25
D*I*S_Frontman
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Lombard, IL
+1 for the Pismo.

That was a fantastic machine. Two swappable bays for double the battery life if you didn't need the optical drive, sexiest laptop shape ever ("BatMan's Laptop"), decent screen. Expandable to a gig of RAM, could run OS X just fine, and I often used mine with an external monitor. It was the pinnacle of Apple's pre-aluminum laptop design.

If only they had MagSafe connectors for their adapters! A clumsy swing of my black lab's tail sent mine crashing to the hardwood floor of my kitchen, destroying the display. Sold it on eBay for parts and the guy who bought it had a screen and fixed it--probably still in use right now. I know I'd be using it for writing today if it hadn't been smashed.

If you want great retro Mac vibe with enduring productivity, take another close look at the Pismo. Sexiest laptop ever.
__________________
Divine • In • Sight
Spiritual Art Rock
Sorrow & Promise available from CDBaby & iTunes
O Nox Ultima Work In Progress
D*I*S_Frontman is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mac 7950 on the ground, EFI works in 1,1 Mac Pro but drivers don't MacVidCards Mac Pro 127 Jun 27, 2014 10:25 PM
Migration assistant (Mac - Mac). New mac has mutiple drives, can't pick the right one Daftones MacBook Pro 4 Aug 29, 2013 10:32 AM
Linux and mac shared Data partition. (paragon extFS-mac, ntfs-mac, ntfs-3G ?) HiDeHo OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion 15 Jul 17, 2013 06:09 PM
Samsung announced 24" Mac compatible touchscreen monitor. Does it work on Mac 10.8.4? Warrenn Mac Peripherals 7 Jul 12, 2013 11:34 PM
Convert from Mac Pro to Mac Mini - high reliability backup solution? sdardens Mac Peripherals 3 Apr 7, 2013 11:03 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:55 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC